Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
"Do not add aftermarket fuel additive products to your fuel tank. It should
not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you
continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane rating. These
products have not been approved for your engine and could cause damage
to the fuel system. Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket
product in your fuel may not be covered by your warranty."
I agree 100%. Do not play with this stuff, it will screw up your car. It screwed up my rig bigtime. My advice is to stay away from any fuel additives period.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Octane boosters and other similar chemicals will affect your engine but a good fuel system cleaner won't hurt.

I use SeaFoam or Techron; most usually the later; about every 10,000 miles (which is also my oil change frequency. I like Techron for mostly preventive use but if I'm experiencing an issue that I believe is fuel delivery related I use SeaFoam.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So is that video the proper way to seafoam? I just learned about the JLT oil seperator and I'm sure my 68k miles of crap being spit back into the intake has created a lot of build up.

Is the Techron also a cleaner like seafoam?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

what i quoted was from the owners manual. i had been using water to clean out my engine. https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-this-car.html
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

what i quoted was from the owners manual. i had been using water to clean out my engine. https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-this-car.html

You just HAD to dredge that back up...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

That's never going to get old
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Unless I missed it, I don't remember the video mentioning changing your oil within 50 miles of adding the Seafoam to the oil... I can't recall where I gathered that, but it would make sense to me to let it run to help get the crud loose, but to get it out shortly there after.

Also, I am going to verify later when I head out the door, but I know that my oil fill is on the passenger side. Do we have 2 oil fill options? I'm a dummy for not knowing from memory, but it seemed strange is all.

Don
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would never run your engine with an additive like seafoam in it. It thins the oil (thus no protection) and will shorten the life of things like your valve stem seals, timing cover seal, rear main seal etc...

If you use the appropriate grade of oil, and change like you're supposed to, you will never get build up inside the engine to the point of damaging anything.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I occasionally run a bottle of Techron.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Unless I missed it, I don't remember the video mentioning changing your oil within 50 miles of adding the Seafoam to the oil... I can't recall where I gathered that, but it would make sense to me to let it run to help get the crud loose, but to get it out shortly there after.

Also, I am going to verify later when I head out the door, but I know that my oil fill is on the passenger side. Do we have 2 oil fill options? I'm a dummy for not knowing from memory, but it seemed strange is all.

Don
You're a dummy, that's a V6.

Originally Posted by Derf00
I would never run your engine with an additive like seafoam in it. It thins the oil (thus no protection) and will shorten the life of things like your valve stem seals, timing cover seal, rear main seal etc...

If you use the appropriate grade of oil, and change like you're supposed to, you will never get build up inside the engine to the point of damaging anything.
So you do don't do anything?

Originally Posted by CincyGT2009
I occasionally run a bottle of Techron.
Does Techron require an oil change afterwards?

Last edited by Bmr4life; 02-11-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Cleaner