Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I'm assuming I'll still have to deal with the smoke show.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Running the correct ratio of fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas shouldn't result in any smoke (or minimal at best) and will not contaminate your oil. Just pour it in the tank AT THE GAS STATION just before you fill up (allows better mixing) and try to run the tank down to about 1/4 tank before refilling normally.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a plan. Seafoam at my next fill up. They happen ever 3-4 days so that won't be long.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Go to your local Ford parts department and ask for a bottle of that there fuel cleaner ober dare. .
Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Ford recommends none of this garbage, as does Nissan. Both companies say to use quality gasoline like Chevron, Shell, etc. with additives and not to use fuel system cleaners.

Why would they say this if these products never caused problems? My guess is that the cheaper gasoline w/o additives causes more build up in the fuel system, then when a fuel cleaner is added its breaks some of the gunk loose, causing clogs & problems.

Save yourself a headache and only use gasoline from major fuel companies, and forget filling up at Ultamar, Gas & Go, & other budget gasoline stations.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-12-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

87 octane is 87 octane, it don't matter were you buy it.
SAE regulates what has to be in fuel before it can be called 87-89-91-93 octane. That's why shell can put 500,000 gallons of 87 octane in the pipeline system and take out 500,000 gallons of 87 octane of the pipeline system in Ohio or anywhere else.
Some gas companies put special additives in their fuel at their distribution centers, for winter, or high altitude or other reasons but those additive are not necessary for your 87 octane vehicle to run correctly. Just don't put 93 octane in a vehicle that requires 87.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
87 octane is 87 octane, it don't matter were you buy it....
I beg to differ. Like any chemical sold commercially, each company has their own mix and quality. You can have 2 different brands of 87 octane and your car may run like a raped ape on one and a pig on the other and both will still meet SAE requirements.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Seafoam has a low flashpoint and will evaporate from the crankcase rather quickly, leaving behind ???. I bought a can of it 2 years ago and it's still sitting on the garage shelf. Still undecided on whether to use it and how. I do run a bottle of Lucas Deep Clean in the tank ~every 15k miles. And I use Chevron gas (with techron additives) exclusively.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

A top quality fuel injector cleaner will never harm your engine. There are a few great choices out there, and I will list the ones I approve of.

Chevron Techron
Red Line
Lucas

but I rely on one that has been working great on cars over 200,000 miles to help them pass California emission testing. It's not the only reason I use it, just good to know it works this well. *If you don't know already, passing CA emission testing is an act of congress with an old vehicle.*

FYI

Long term customer-----now runs the 10W-40 AMO and changes the filter---"When he feels like it" Also runs our EAA filter---swapped out the K & N some years back, hated the "Cleaning" process.

Technician that completed this smog check was dumbfounded at the low numbers----he pulled the dipstick and advised the owner that it "Appeared" the oil needed to be changed---to wit the owner simply replied he never changes the oil now---just tops off and changes the filter every so often.

At near 226K miles it consumes oil now--nothing major which is the reason for the AMO. Runs superb, makes many trips to Idaho running at WARP speed. While in Idaho used for hauling materials for his various rental properties.

Those of you not familiar with CA and their smog laws--pain in the butt, especially when the machine fails.

The technician commented that the final test readings were lower than a lot of brand new vehicles he has recently tested.

When asked what he uses to clean his fuel system and internal engine, he replied Amsoil P.I. Cleaner.
Seafoam is a great product for upper internal engine cleaning. I've been using it for years, and it's really required on a regular basis when your engine naturally draws oil back into the intake system from the PCV. Pour 1/2 to 2/3 of a full can in the brake booster vacuum line while the engine is running. Shut off the engine, then allow it to soak in for 30-45 minutes. Then start the vehicle and drive like crazy with multiple WOT runs.

If you add Seafoam to your crankcase you must change your oil in a short period of time. I would never drive more than 100 miles with it in my oil. It's a very aggressive cleaner, so if your engine is gunked up bad, you better change the oil filter before treatment.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 02-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Nuke
You can differ if you want and you don't even have to beg.
87 octane is 87 octane. Oil companies have to make it the same. A "cut rate" gas station get's it's gas from the same place shell does, the tanker fills up right next to a shell tanker, there is no such thing as a cut rate distribution center. Just like oil, a 10W30 oil is a 10w30 oil, the additives that some oil companies put in their oil are just not necessary and except for the slippery agent the rest don't do anything.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Cleaner