Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Royal Purp good for high milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
LOL ppl who use synthetic and change every 3000 are freaking fools. Your throwing away your money like crazy.
I go 5000 miles on mine.
Replace filter 2 times in that 5000 miles span.

Its the filter that doesnt last not so much the oil.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

U full synthetic usually can go about 7K for the good ones. With a blend 5k easy and dyno is around 3k.

But then again thats GENERAL use... not banging the gears all the time.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNameless
Sup fellas, im going to be changing my oil sometime next week and was wondering whats the best oil for a high mileage engine. thanks
Tell me more about your car. Miles, does it leak oil, does it burn oil, how much oil does it use between oil changes, what oil have you been using? I'm shocked that no one else here has asked any of these questions, and know nothing about your car. They sure were open to offering bad advice though.

I will await your reply to help you choose a lubricant that will work the best for you.

Originally Posted by JRad405
Mobil 1 is all I use. I tried the Amsoil thing, but seriously I think I just was uncomfortable with the once a year oil change. If you are willing to do the royal purple stuff why not go to the oil section and ask about the other Amsoil oils. They have some good input.
There are more benefits of using a "true" synthetic base stocks than longer oil drain intervals.

1. Less heat due to less friction
2. Lower burn off/evaporation (NOACK Volatility)
3. Better cold flow charateristics
4. Better resistance to shearing
5. Better resistance to base stock oxidation
6. Lower wear due to lower friction

Royal Purple, Red Line, and Amsoil all use "true" synthetic base stocks.

Originally Posted by Repzard
Mobile 1 and be done
Hope you don't think it's a "true" synthetic. It's not. Mobil's primary 5W-20 and 5W-30 are group III hydrocracked petroleum. Mobil's EP line moves up to group IV PAO (true synthetic).

Originally Posted by Repzard
I go 5000 miles on mine.
Replace filter 2 times in that 5000 miles span.

Its the filter that doesnt last not so much the oil.
Geez, you are wasting oil filters. Even cheap filters will easily achieve 7,500 miles. Your car only requires one filter for the 5,000 miles that you change it in. What are you thinking?

Originally Posted by H0SS302
U full synthetic usually can go about 7K for the good ones. With a blend 5k easy and dyno is around 3k.
You are way off. A top tier "true" synthetic like Amsoil can be used for 15,000 miles or one year, which ever occur first. This is even the severe service schedule.

hydrocracked "fake" synthetics (highly refined petroleum) are good for up to 10,000 miles.

Synthetic blends like Motorcraft are good for 7,500 miles. Dino oils are just fine up to 5,000 miles. Gone are the days of required 3,000 mile oil changes.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 04-06-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I glad you typed that out because I really didnt feel like repeating myself for the 1000th time.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

mobil 1 every 4-5,000

i used royal purple for one oil change and didnt like the feeling of changing my oil once a year and i was sure as hell not going to pay almost $9 a quart to change it every quarter.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Sup fellas, im going to be changing my oil sometime next week and was wondering whats the best oil for a high mileage engine. thanks

Tell me more about your car. Miles, does it leak oil, does it burn oil, how much oil does it use between oil changes, what oil have you been using? I'm shocked that no one else here has asked any of these questions, and know nothing about your car. They sure were open to offering bad advice though.

I will await your reply to help you choose a lubricant that will work the best for you.

My car just hit 140,000 miles no leaks and doesnt burn, and i got it last changed about mid January but had a shop do it due to not having a garage and the snow and they said they used 6q.( it was penzoil oil) and i checked the oil today and no oil is needed or anything yet
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordforlife0225
mobil 1 every 4-5,000

i used royal purple for one oil change and didnt like the feeling of changing my oil once a year and i was sure as hell not going to pay almost $9 a quart to change it every quarter.
Let's assume you drive 20,000 miles per year. If you were to use Royal Purple, change your oil and filter every 10,000 miles or 6 months, you would only change your oil twice a year. This may even save you money in a years time. You don't have to change your oil only once a year, but you are also wasting money doing it 4 times a year with oil that is only 2 bucks less per quart.

By doing it my way, you get the benefits from a true synthetic base stock that I mentioned above, you change your oil less (good for the environment), and you save money. It's all pros and no cons, no matter what way you cut it.

My car just hit 140,000 miles no leaks and doesnt burn, and i got it last changed about mid January but had a shop do it due to not having a garage and the snow and they said they used 6q.( it was penzoil oil) and i checked the oil today and no oil is needed or anything yet
I see that you live in Illinois. Is your car driven year round? How hot does it get in the summer? How cold in the winter? How far do you drive your car on average per start up?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 AM
x7sage7x

[QUOTE=Unleashedbeast;7497357]Let's assume you drive 20,000 miles per year. If you were to use Royal Purple, change your oil and filter every 10,000 miles or 6 months, you would only change your oil twice a year. This may even save you money in a years time. You don't have to change your oil only once a year, but you are also wasting money doing it 4 times a year with oil that is only 2 bucks less per quart.

By doing it my way, you get the benefits from a true synthetic base stock that I mentioned above, you change your oil less (good for the environment), and you save money. It's all pros and no cons, no matter what way you cut it.[QUOTE]

AGREED! Very well put, the synthetic is an investment.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
i like a valvoline full synthetic
Ive always used the valvoline synpower, but thinking about changing up to penzoil this year we shall see.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Ive always used the valvoline synpower, but thinking about changing up to penzoil this year we shall see.
PP and PU are IMO, the best that group III base stocks get. They do a great job for the money, but you know me....give me the real deal.

Quick Reply: Royal Purp good for high milage?