Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Walmart put in over 6 quarts on my lube.. bad news!<<<

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

This thread...........is full of redicilous fail. For one, why would you EVER take your car to walmart for an oil change. 2. putting in 6 quarts of oil will not damamge the motor whatsoever, like bramas said you can run an easy 7 or 8 quarts without a problem. 3. there is no check engine lite that says "bad or blown piston ring". 4. If you did blow a ring its not because of the oil change. 5. Even if you did blow the ring, your dead in the water as far as trying to blame walmart goes. 6. Your mechanic is one of two things, an idiot or a scam artist.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

^I was trying to not point out the issue with bringing a car to walmart.

All you probably have is one no oil if the oil blew out. If you did lose the oil, you will see that crap sprayed all over the car somewhere. In which case you probably have a blown seal in that area. Your check engine came on probably because your oil pressure just shot straight down. I know because I had oil blow out of my car once too.

Why don't you tow the car to another mechanic. $100 bucks to save probably a **** load in labor for work you don't need.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

My ex girlfriend got a new motor in her ride because she made it 25 miles from walmart with no oil before her motor locked up.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah... Walmart is NOTORIOUS for utterly destroying cars. That being said, honestly you'll have a hell of a time proving walmart is liable for anything to do with overfilling a motor. That just doesn't happen. It will ALWAYS come down to you being responsible for verifying the work they did before you even accept the car back. The only time I've ever seen a oil change place actually held liable for damage was when my dad took his Dodge Cummins to a lube shop, they didn't put ANY oil in (somehow forgot I guess...) and the motor seized before they even pulled it around. Pretty obvious in that scenario who's fault it was. But one like yours is not so cut and dry. For all a court will know you read the stick wrong and added more. Not saying Walmart isn't responsible, but you'll never get a judgement against them, and if you do, you'll spend more than it's worth anyway. At any rate your mechanic is wrong about some key things, as others have already pointed out. Take it to someone else for another opinion.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 08-03-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

This thread is a epic fail !!! and this story that WM caused it is BS !!!

Sounds like someone wants a new motor on walmarts expense to me.

Just my 2

Last edited by Repzard; 08-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i also do 6 qts per change....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
This thread is a epic fail !!! and this story that WM caused it is BS !!!

Sounds like someone wants a new motor on walmarts expense to me.

Just my 2
The OP has a serious problem on his hands regardless of who was at fault. No need to be an *** about it.

Just my .02
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm still trying to figure out what Wal Mart did wrong?
They put in the 6 quarts that the book calls for.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I'm still trying to figure out what Wal Mart did wrong?
They put in the 6 quarts that the book calls for.
Like uberstang, I want to know what DTC indicates a "bad or blown piston ring"?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Walmart put a dent in my bronco during an oil change and denied it and argued with me. I kept coming back so they could fix it but kept gettin the run around! In the end they got away with it! Funny thing is, the dent area had a huge handprint with oil on it but they said they didn't do it!! I had a friend who engine went out becus jiffy lube didn't put enough oil in it and they got away with it also! Yu never win anyplace you go. Perhaps that's why people take their cars to dealers only!

Quick Reply: Walmart put in over 6 quarts on my lube.. bad news!<<<