Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Oil prices. Walmart is over $20 cheaper!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by R1nStang
I never bought into the hype of AMSOIL oil. I dont ride track. I can shift the bike butter smooth as it is. R1 forum has an AMSOIL rep that tends to jump into ALL oil threads and trash talk every single oil that has ever been made and always claims AMSOIL is the best of the best of the best. it got old after awhile and he turned a lot of people away from AMSOIL by marketing like that
Try it, don't hate on it. He rides you guys HARD because he knows the difference it makes. There are comparable formulations in the market, but since refined petroleum is accepted as synthetic in the US....they are fewer than ever. Too many big oil companies have jumped on the band wagon and decided to increase profits by switching to cheaper base stocks "because they can". Their thoughts, "The customer will never know, and the price can still increase."

I have a local friend that also rides an R1. I always pushed him to at least try it, he said no...it was too expensive and not any better than Mobil 1 4T that he was currently using. I said fine....

I bought him a gallon of Amsoil and the filter on my dime. I said, "Here...my gift to you, and it's time for your oil change anyway. If it doesn't do what I said...it's my expense, not yours." He agreed.

Before changing his oil, I rode his R1 with Mobil 1 in it. The foot shifter was notchy to me, as I had been riding for years. I made sure the oil was up to maximum temps, but it still wasn't smooth as I knew it could be. I rode back to his house, and we put his bike on the stands, drained the oil, and poured in Amsoil. When completed, I took the bike out again. This time, even when the oil was cold....the foot shifter felt smoother. When the oil got up to max temps, the shifter was so smooth, I was having trouble getting the bike to shift into neutral. It easily skipped over neutral and shifted into the next gear.

I came back to his house, and let him ride it. Guess what, the past skeptic will now use NOTHING else in his R1.

Summary, you can say that you refuse to try Amsoil because the R1 forum dealer stresses how good it is, but he does it for a reason. He knows the difference it makes, and until you try it...you will not understand his reason.

I challenge you to try it, but I warn you....you will never use anything else ever again.

Troy

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 12-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
For those who change your own oil, be sure to visit Walmart to purchase your oil. I picked up 5 qts of Penzoil Platinum for $18.75. O'reilly auto parts wanted $39.95. Does anyone know why there's such a huge difference? I realize Walmart has the advantage of being a massive company who can dictate the price they pay for products. Great savings for us...
Caution, some of those blends are "wal mart" only

when some of the jugs have the words "Recycle your oil at walmart"

goes on the same lines as what was discussed in this thread.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...t-walmart.html
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
Caution, some of those blends are "wal mart" only

when some of the jugs have the words "Recycle your oil at walmart"

goes on the same lines as what was discussed in this thread.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...t-walmart.html
Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. These days, most companies are focused on immediate profits, and could probably care less about us customers. And if this is the case, Mobil-1 is also doing the same thing, which is surprising to me. Anway, I still change my oil every 3k and I don't buy my Mobil-1 filters there.

Edit:
I just decided to go look around about this and found one interesting article on Mobil 1. But it still comes down to whether or not you believe anything they say. If Wamart is buying bulk from a company at very low prices, how does the supplier make a profit? Well, they will find a way.. :-)

If you read the response from Mobil-1, it's rather vague. They say there is no difference if the "product name is the same". I didn't think they made anything other than synthetic oil so why would they even say that. Sounds fishy to me. Who knows.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...y_Walmart.aspx

Last edited by kzonts; 12-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

"Because the 5 quart jug is exclusive to Wal Mart"

Horse turds!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 PM
snikr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by R1nStang
I never bought into the hype of AMSOIL oil. I dont ride track. I can shift the bike butter smooth as it is. R1 forum has an AMSOIL rep that tends to jump into ALL oil threads and trash talk every single oil that has ever been made and always claims AMSOIL is the best of the best of the best. it got old after awhile and he turned a lot of people away from AMSOIL by marketing like that
I use AMSOIL in my 2004 FJR and it works great. 50,000 miles on it with no problems.

Tom
Old 12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
"Because the 5 quart jug is exclusive to Wal Mart"

Horse turds!!!
I can't tell if you're joking. Lol bc I have thdm in my advance auto and Walmart.

And OP Walmart is generally cheaper bc of their logistics and prices they set with manufacturers.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I might just sound dumb, but don't most other cases sell the "5.1+" jugs while walmart sells the 5 qt jugs? I noticed that while shopping around once. Maybe those are just what I happened to come across.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I might just sound dumb, but don't most other cases sell the "5.1+" jugs while walmart sells the 5 qt jugs? I noticed that while shopping around once. Maybe those are just what I happened to come across.
You're right. I noticed the same thing.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I went to walmart recently and stopped in the oil section, and Mobil 1 now has "Recycle your oil at walmart" on it. Found that interesting.

From what I've read, it seems this is just an old rumor. Anyone else know anything about this whole "walmart blend?" It's just been sitting in the back of my head lately. I find it difficult to believe that companies would risk putting their name on something inferior to their product.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
While that is true, the price difference is too big to justify the .1+ difference lol.

Quick Reply: Oil prices. Walmart is over $20 cheaper!