Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Is Royal Purple Really That Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Stangette

I used RP exclusively in my 02, 5 speed, I just switched to it in my 2012 5.0 (first oil-change) I never had any problems with heat and when I sold the 02 it ran smooth and I was getting 23 MPG average. I personally love the stuff.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
OutlawFirebird
1st Gear Member

In just switched to rp in my 05 GT 5 speed. I had stock tranny fluid in it. I put rp ATF not the Synchromax. It still feels smother than the stock motorcraft. Also put 5w20 rp in the engine. Was running quackerstate. And used a knn filter to, they did not have a rp filter where I got my stuff at. I notice in that second video they did not clean off the machine after the first use.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
I know my manual tranny seemed smoother and shifted better when I initially put RP in over the stock oil. I am starting to think I may need to go back to a regular synthetic though.. not sure why, just feels like there isn't any oil in there, kinda like it is breaking down...?

If I were you, I'd stick with MOBILE 1 synthetic for the motor oil, plenty of history for long running engines on that. Seems to be some spotty stuff with RP. Best of luck whatever you decide.
I changed out the RP Synchromax for Valvoline Synchromesh (GM Spec) and it was a definitive improvement. No more overheating like it felt like the RP was doing. They need to work on their formulation, my guess is it does not transfer heat well, and makes the moving parts deteriorate from heat saturation.

I'd go with the GM Spec No. 9985648 (part no 12345349)

But what do I know, I'm just a rocket scientist....
Old 04-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

The Placebo Effect

One day I had a 13 yr. old student fall out of his chair in my class! He was obviously drugged so I investigated his source of the drug. Another student was the source and I caught him with his stash! To be cool and bad, he had given the drugged student a 80 Grain aspirin he got from home as drugs. When the drugged kid heard the news out of the drug pushers mouth he immediately got over being drugged! The placebo effect is very strong in all of us! Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect.

Double-blind trials

Because a belief in the value of a product can affect your observation (placebo effect), trials are usually conducted in "double-blind" manner: that is, not only are the patients unaware when they are receiving a placebo, the doctors are unaware too.

Without a placebo group to compare against, it is not possible to know whether the product itself had any effect. Too many other things can cause variations in results affecting HP or temperature!

I believe in & use synthetic oils, but I only believe controlled studies, not individual's stories! If I did I'd be wearing garlic around my neck and loading silver bullets for the next wave of "Walking Dead! Amsoil is a religion to many! I'd buy the cheapest 100% synthetic and not believe anything but controlled studies.... and there aren't many of them! I think you will find there are two types of synthetic oils and the best one isn't tremendously better than the other. Also oil can still lubricate well while being contaminated with elements bad for an engine because it has been left in an engine too long. I use synthetics, but I don't leave them in an engine for more than 10K miles! I use them for their ability to withstand higher heat under stress!

I guess everyone has to do what makes sense to them, but remember: Fishing lures don't have to catch fish! They just have to catch fisherman! Auto products are the same!

Depend on controlled tests, not beer stories!

Last edited by Mr. D; 04-20-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 PM
ninja920

The Royal Purple that is in Wal Marts and other stores is regular RP. When it has three big letters saying HPS that is the good stuff with zinc and phosphorus and its film strength is 5 times stronger than Mobil 1. Running anything other than 5-20 in a variable cam time engine is wrong. Royal Purple HPS is the best oil you can put in your car.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
ninja920

Trackguys.com did a third party article on Royal Purple. I use the Amsoil filter because no other filter comes close.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

People using the film strength argument are actually debating with dated information and lack an understanding of modern oils and engine needs. Film strength is a measurement for extreme pressure, which modern engines no longer deal with. It's actually a characteristic needed in gearing, not engines. This is actually achieved through an additive. Companies like Mobile One leave it out of their oils for two reasons 1. It's no longer needed 2. It causes corrosion. Companies like Amsoil, Royal Purple etc, use it so that they can brag about their film strength with a dated Timken load test and market their highly over priced product.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninja920
The Royal Purple that is in Wal Marts and other stores is regular RP. When it has three big letters saying HPS that is the good stuff with zinc and phosphorus and its film strength is 5 times stronger than Mobil 1. Running anything other than 5-20 in a variable cam time engine is wrong. Royal Purple HPS is the best oil you can put in your car.
Zinc and phosphorus only useful for old iron engines with high spring pressure valve trains as in resto-mod classic cars! Screws up Catalytic converters!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Zinc and phosphorus only useful for old iron engines with high spring pressure valve trains as in resto-mod classic cars! Screws up Catalytic converters!
This is similar to what I was saying earlier. Their testing no longer applies to modern engines. It's all smoke and mirrors for people that don't know much about oil
Old 04-25-2014, 05:17 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Never dreamed that this thread would still be alive after almost two years. Wish I could remember what show I saw that RP test on. Needless to say, I would guess you would see similar results with any synthetics.

Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple Really That Good?