Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Mobil One - Annual Protection any good???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Default Mobil One - Annual Protection any good???

I was at the oil change shop yesterday and they were touting a new Mobil One - Annual Protection that supposedly lasts a year between oil changes.

Hard to believe an oil could last that long.

Any thoughts??
Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

They have an Amzoil van running around with 300K miles on it and NO OIL CHANGES.....just filters periodically and add oil as needed !!

For no more than it costs I prefer to change oil and filter every 5K miles.......Mobil I is all I use too!!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

thanks for info coos...
Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

if you want to only do annual oil changes, you follow all the guidelines and you don't mind paying double the price of more regular Mobil 1 choices, fine...

If you say "not so much" or something similar to any of those use something else...

Buying Mobil 1 (regular type) at Walmart or Costco and putting in for Mobil's rebates make for a less expensive buying experience...and the Mobil 1 you buy at Walmart or Costco is no different (formula to formula) than the Mobil 1 you buy anywhere else...Exxon Mobil has not cheapened their products for these retailers...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

Last edited by SilverSport; 04-22-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:42 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I suspect it's basically the same Mobil 1 oil with a little more money put aside for claims! "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish... they have to catch fisherman!"
Old 07-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I suspect it's basically the same Mobil 1 oil with a little more money put aside for claims! "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish... they have to catch fisherman!"
They have their bases covered:

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Pas...ual-Protection

Mobil 1 Annual Protection oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for one year or 20,000 miles between oil changes, whichever comes first. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter is recommended for extended oil change intervals and meets the requirements of the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty. When extending oil change intervals beyond your car manufacturer's recommendation, always use a high quality oil filter designed for your intended oil change interval. Read our Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty at Mobil1.com for additional information. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warr...n-oil-warranty

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warr...n-oil-warranty

The Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty is valid for one year (12 months) or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Additional requirements for all Mobil 1 Annual Protection products include:

Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
An oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter is recommended for extended oil change intervals and meets the requirements of the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty. When extending oil change intervals beyond your car manufacturer’s recommendation, always use a high quality oil filter designed for your intended oil change interval.

SOOOOoooo many caveats there. They don't designate what brand(s) of filter so there's an easy loophole should someone follow all the other recommendations but don't use an unmentioned approved brand.

Pass, I'll stick to Castrol Euro Syntec for our VW (the OEM for the VW Turbo) and one of several name brands synths for the Stang and Escape.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Mobile One-Annual Protection any good???

The problem today isn't the oil. We have hi tech synthetic oils everywhere. And they are good, no more "snake oil". The big problem is the slow development of oil filters to match the quality of the oil. Back in 1986 I set up a chevy with a straight 250 six banger with a "dual by-pass oil filter system. The primary filter had to be changed every 30,000 miles and the secondary filter was changed every 50,000 miles. The problem is that "today's" engine compartments are so crowded, it is difficult finding a spot to locate the remote filters. Not-for-nothing, AMSOIL also sells a single remote oil filter for extended mileage.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 AM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

The additive package may very well be good for a year. I don't think the oil's durability is the problem with extended OCIs. It's the combustion deposits and other filth suspended in the oil that I can't see myself leaving in for a year.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
The problem today isn't the oil. We have hi tech synthetic oils everywhere. And they are good, no more "snake oil". The big problem is the slow development of oil filters to match the quality of the oil. Back in 1986 I set up a chevy with a straight 250 six banger with a "dual by-pass oil filter system. The primary filter had to be changed every 30,000 miles and the secondary filter was changed every 50,000 miles. The problem is that "today's" engine compartments are so crowded, it is difficult finding a spot to locate the remote filters. Not-for-nothing, AMSOIL also sells a single remote oil filter for extended mileage.
One of those remote filters wouldn't be one of the infamous designs that uses a toilet paper roll would it?