Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Peformance Engine Oil - What to Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 02:11 PM
MC65

Default Peformance Engine Oil - What to Use

Hello all,

New Mustang owner for the second time. My first was a '72 with a stock 302 but now I just bought a 1965 coupe that the previous owner put some performance into with goodies like an Edelbrock carburetor, performance cam, aluminum headers and aluminum block so I'm reaching to ask the forum for recommendations on the right oil and viscosity to run. I read that synthetics like Mobile 1 5W-30, Castrol Edge 5W-40 and Royal Purple 51530 High Performance are good choices. I live on the west coast in southern California so temperatures aren't crazy although we can get a little warm at time. As far as use, right now we're keeping it to local shows and neighborhood drives but eventually we'll take things to longer cruises for day long road trips.

Any recommendations or insight from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

If you're gonna change the oil every 3000 - 5000 miles, doesn't matter...
Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM
MC65

I'll be doing that for sure, do that now on all vehicles. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM
TrushikPatel

special recommend CLASSIC MONOGRADE 30
Old 08-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

MC65,Royal Purple 06315-6PK Max-Cycle10W-40High Performance Oil. Yes, there are a multitude of oils out there. I would strongly recommend using a "synthetic" oil. Oil has come a long way and it's about time. I can only recommend said oil because it is what I use in our 1987 Foxbody, 331 stroker on 200 hit of juice. I know I am paranoid about oil changes, but I change the oil at 3,000 intervals, when only on the street. When we are racing, I change the oil after each weekend of competition. Remember, I said paranoid. You can tailor oil changes to your preferences. You have a nice package, remember, maintenance is your top priority.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Ceoirf
1st Gear Member

Default Oil Tec

I am old school guy, I get into the details of things, if I don't know HOW something works, I don't understand it. As far as oils, zink content, syn, conventional, viscosity, additives and actual quality, where does the info come from? Most of mine came from other old timers and the way it was always done. Other info we get comes from manufactures, tv Commercials. How much can we really trust marketing from the people who make the stuff??
anyway, if you haven't lost interest by now, you will be interested in a blog I came across a couple months ago, " 540 rat". This guy is an engineer, has a patent, and a car guy...knows some stuff.
he has come up with a test for oil that test lubercation qualities till it fails. Adds heat levels. And when done gives each oil a psi rating. He doesn't work for an oil company, doesn't care which oil does well, just the facts. A word of caution, there is a LOT of reading, this guy likes to talk!! I read the whole thing while on a flight, waiting in the airport(my wife like to get there early ). A lot of good, interesting info based on test results and examples/testimonials from the real world. I think if you are building an engine now it is almost must read. Break in oils, zink content, viscosity , oil pump selection, clearances are all discussed.
i used to use Rotella diesel oil in fe engine, I now use amsoil signiture synthetic 10-30.
just google 540 rat, and it will pop up, oil myths and .....something .
Some interesting personal accounts from daily drivers to race teams
this should probably be a new thread!!
looking forward to seeing what you think!!
Don
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 PM
SamElad

Yes. Amsoil! I put it in Trany, Rear end & PS too.
I also use NMF (NoMoreFriction) additive. Very spendy product though.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:07 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Hay fellow enthusiasts. Well I just got done finishing off the new 347, 4.125, stroker in my nephews 1987 fox body. Many updates had to be applied due to this new power plant. But, I will stick to the oil issue. I followed the instructions on the "540 Rat" information, thanks to Ceoirf." Broke it in with 10W30 non detergent oil. Did two oil changes, at designated intervals, and then installed Royal Purple 10W-30 Full synthetic oil. I am not getting into specifics due to the longevity of all the information. If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to respond to this post. Stay Safe.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Ceoirf
1st Gear Member

MY POST DIDN'T SEEM TO POST, SO SORRY IF THIS IS DUPLICATE.
GLAD TO SEE THE "RAT" INFO IS BEING USED!!
I KNOW IT CHANGED THE OIL I USE.
DON
Old 07-03-2020, 05:41 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Great hearing from you Ceoirf. I was initially hesitant about following "540 Rat's" findings, but held my breath and broke away from my "old school " procedures/products. The fox body is almost ready to go through its paces pretty soon at the local test and tune evening. Hope to have the Nitrous dialed in so we can make, at least, one of the upcoming NMRA events. Stay safe old buddy.

Quick Reply: Peformance Engine Oil - What to Use