Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Say It Ain't So...Wings on NASCARs next year??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Say It Ain't So...Wings on NASCARs next year??

Uh... the Ford Fusion looks pretty cool, so does the Impala SS, but the imitation charger looks like crap. Not sure when they started doing all this wing and front splitter stuff but most everyone watches NASCAR for the wrecks, so I cant imagine too many fans being happy about more "safety" stuff.And since when did Toyota get in on NASCAR???
Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM
SinCityGT500
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Not sure when they started doing all this wing and front splitter stuff but most everyone watches NASCAR for the wrecks, so I cant imagine too many fans being happy about more "safety" stuff.
Ok, now put yourself in the driver's shoes and tell me you would still say that, or better yet, put your dad, son, brother, or anybody else you care about in the driver's position. Yes, NASCAR is a business and they are out to make as much money as possible, but even so, they don't want people dying or getting seriously injured just to fill a few more seats.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

well, Trans Am dumped the duck bill 5 years ago....now if NASCRAP can get EFI and stock body panels, then they will be on par with the Speed GT Championship, until then, I will boycott ANYTHING with a NASCRAP logo on it (this pisses off my wife in the grocery store). I was raised on NASCAR, and when Helton took over, it turned into NASCRAP
Yeah....800hp, NA carbed small block powered race cars that can run at 180mph+ for over 5 hours sure suck on donkey *****
Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 PM
LilRedHoss
1st Gear Member

OK. Yes it looks "Ricer". The thing I like about the COT is that the rear and front bumper are the
same height. Didf anyone see Jeff Gordon trying to "get his nose under" Jimmy Johnson last week?
It didn't work!
So now instead of driving your low front bumper under the leader's high rear bumper and picking
his rear tires off of the ground, sending him out of control, your going to have to out-think and out-drive him.
I wonder how many of the young guys know how to do that?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Actually the Dodge Charger Daytona was built in the early 70's. The wing was 4 feet tall. The wing portion of it (the little wing like thing at the top) didnt really provide all that much downforce, but the sides, the RUDDERS, made the car almost impossible to get sideways. Richard Petty, Buddy Baker, Pete Hamilton all loved the car just because it woldnt get out of shape. We have the same situation now. The new wing will have more adjustability in it, the spoilers dont have any. Plus, with the little gap between the trunk lid and the wing, a small amount of air can get through and to the car behind, eliminating areo-push. The front splitter picks up air that goes under the car in front, also helping eliminate areo-push. Yes the crew chiefs will have some grief for a little while as they learn the car, but they had that problem back in '82 when they went to the smaller cars. Yes the car is wider and taller, but only to slow the cars down a bit. Remember Bobby Allison almost going into the stands at Talladega back in the '80 when his car got airborn and took out the front stretch catch fence? As they get more and more races under thier belts, the crews will learn how to make fast pit stops again, they will learn how to make adjustments that work, and the drivers will come to love it when they spin and dont have that solid concrete wall only 3 inches from thier heads when they hit it. NASCAR might need to re-visit the splitter where it sticks out on the right and left fronts below the bumper, too may cutdown tires, but it is a learning process for them as well. Thats why we didnt go whole hog with the COT this year, to learn, understand and refine. I;ve been keeping up with NASCAR since 1971, and every year there is something new and inproved with the cars, this is just the next step, and with everything, the first step is just the next step in the process of making things better and safer. There are many more steps to come.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 AM
xBenzinx
1st Gear Member

Toyota shows up and screws NASCAR.

/cry
Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Why do people on here go around bashing big wings and splitters for being 'rice'.....thrown on a 100 hp civic that cant go fast enough to benifit from downforce is one thing......throwing it on a car that goes well over 200mph in the straights is another....

by all of your opinions i guess this is 'rice' too.....

sometimes people on this forum blow my mind
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't matter how they look, these wings will actually serve a purpose, unlike the wings you see on the local wanna be fast n furious kids.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 AM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

The main reason that wing was so tall was because it needed to be so that you could open the trunk. BTW those wings were sdrong enough for a grown man to sit on.
yeah, and if you leaned up against the quarter panel your *** was inprinted
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Turns out there might not be enough wing, at least not at Watkins Glen. Lots of incidents this past weekend in Turn1 under braking(one of which got rather ugly), most of which involved brake hop or other forms of not-quite-recoverable looseness. A little more rear downforce would have probably helped there. Compared to the previous chassis, the CG is higher and the rear downforce is less, both of which aggravate the effects of forward load transfer. Seems if the CG is going up, you ought to be at least maintaining the rear downforce. Or hold the CGH the same and cut the rear DF.

Norm