Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Best Road Racing Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Road Racing Supercharger

We all know you have driven everything guy. And I never said you couldnt use an intercooler with a roots blower. The guy sounds like he has an N/A car that he wants to make a track vehicle. He wants a supercharger.Centri ARE MORE EFFECIENT and produce less heat than root/TS blowers. They respond just as quickly. They are usually less expensive. If he wants a road racing supercharger, he wants something from Vortech, or Paxton, or Rotrex.....a centrifugal charger.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
SinCityGT500
1st Gear Member

Hey, I am not trying to get anybody upset here, just throwing out my opinion for a little debate. Fact is, when it comes to the types of superchargers in question, I have driven them all, which to me is a good way to establish credibility in this debate. I am not trying to brag, believe me. Now back to the debate...

If you are looking for the best supercharger for road course, my opinion is that the twin screw has the most useable powerband, most consistent and predictable power delivery, all while being very efficient. Aside from what is on paper, look at professional or semi professional race teams and what they run. Normally you see the centris in drag racing because of the power they deliver up top and the efficiency. In my racing background, I have not run across many teams that choose the centri units for road racing applications and the few I have seen that I can think of off the top of my head are actually the factory cars for the manufacturers that make that centri supercharger. Now, that being said, I don't see many twin screw or roots type either in the road racing circuit, but certainly more than the centris. You also have to take into account driving styles. Some drivers love turbo cars, some hate them, and the same goes for different types of superchargers and naturally aspirated vehicles.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

superchargers are not the way to go. NOBODY uses them in real road racing. all the 03 cobras have pushrod motors in them
Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

you know, you can supercharge a pushrod motor...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i never said you couldnt i just said all the 03 cobrea owners junked there supercharged motors forna motors
Old 01-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

it was just a joke...the way that you worded your statement...

nevermind.

what pushrod motors are they running? i dont know what, if any, size restrictions there are...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Never seen a blower at Indy, at LeMans, Daytona, Sebring, Neurenburg, or anywhere else that had anything on it worth noticing. Blowers of any kind, be it centri, roots, twin screw, all take HP to make HP. Turbo's don't. NO one wants the extra hassle and reliability issues of a supercharger. Too many moving parts, belts breaking, rotors out of time,etc.There isn't a supercharger made (that would handle road course duty) that has the HP potential of a properly designed turbo set-up. If you had inconsistancies with your turbo set-up, it either wasn't set up right, or you just can't drive. (Meant in fun...don't get your panties in a wad) Either way, I don't know anyone racing anything worth mentioning that has anything but turbo's on it.
Then again, I live under a rock, and know nothing about this shi t...just BSing.

Or am I??
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 AM
scubasteve22
3rd Gear Member

no offense but considerin his mods so far i dont think he is talkin about racin in le mans or "super car" races just havin fun and beatin people on the street, correct me if i am wrong. from what i hear centris are better for the track but twin screw are better for street or more fun because it instant boost and torque, thats why i am goin with a Kenne Bell soon and i also heard twin turbos will be better than both in the long run but it is very expensive so if u have the money then go with the TT but for fun on the street i would go with kenne bell or whipple but thats just my opinion and i am sure anything like that will be fun as sh^t
Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Basically in belt driven flavor centri has the highest adiabatic efficiency, and Lysholms(twin screws) are a close 2nd with roots style being a somewhat distant and innefficient 3rd. That being said, look at professional road racing, Grand Am, Trans Am, Le Mans...how many s/c do you see? Almost NONE! Rarely you'll see a s/c car, but they get whipped, either by n/a cars, or you guessed it, turbocharged cars. Of all the f/i modules, turbos have the highest adiabatic effeciency out there, do they run hot? Yeah, on the TURBINE side! Not on the compressor side. New construction techniques and materials have made turbos the lowest heat least horsepower robbing f/i modules available. Plus, you don't have the belt slipping issues you can with a s/c. And, most aftermarket superchargers aren't developed for road racing, you run it for extended periods of time and the impeller expands you can potentiallygrenade the c/s and ingest peices of the blower into the engine. Turbos on the other hand have been developed for and proven time and again for road racing. Also consider that as a belt driven unit, there's even more load being placed on the front main bearing of the engine, causing premature wear, from the increased load of running a s/c(and they take a lot of power to run). Don't get me wrong, I like s/c, many people do, they're great for drag racing and street use, but not the ideal performance mod for road racing. There's better/more reliable systems out there. Just stuff to consider
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

As far as professional road racing... I myself can't recall seeing hardly any forced induction motors on any cars. Depending on the length of the race, heat is gonna be a huge enemy after X amount of laps. Since really its not always the biggest motor that wins road races, just good driving and consistency, couldn't someone just take the 03/04 cobra motor, take the eaton off, put a regular intake on it and beef it up some to make it a great NA motor and race with it? I don't see why not, unless your on a track that is gonna be pushing over 150+ mph because then your gonna have to worry about the piston clearance in the motor.

Quick Reply: Best Road Racing Supercharger