Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

how the hell do top fuel dragsters build 5000+hp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

Default RE: how the hell do top fuel dragsters build 5000+hp?

steelcomp explained the amount of fuel above...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

P...when a cyl fails to fire in a TF car, the heads and block are destroyed. That incompressible liquid has to go somewhere and it's usually out betweenthe head and block, taking a lot of aluminum with it, like a plasma cutter. That mist you see is part aluminum.
I remember standing on the line behind a TF dragster (1996...wasn't that long ago) and it was so loud I had to close my eyes, because if I didn't, I'd get vertigo from my brain being rattled...everything would start spinning, and I'd get dizzy for a split second. Even with my eyes closed, it happend a little. I could feel it rattling my guts.
ORIGINAL: P Zero

I heard that the TF cars run so much fuel into the cylinders that theyre on the verge of hydrolock. I noticed that when they fry a cylinder it sprays a mist out of the header pipe.

And TF cars are loud but theyre still not nearly as loud as the jet cars. Several years ago I saw the Lava machine and some other car run at a dragstrip. Those things were SOOO loud, I had to plug my ears until they shut em off at teh end of the strip. And I beleive that both of those ran in the 3.xx's
-P.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

O no kiddin I always thought that it was just fuel. Now I know, bah bye engine.

And yeah those bastards are super loud. Thats what the jet cars were doing when I didnt have my fingers in my ears. Felt like my eyes were rattlin around in my head.
-P.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steelcomp

You have no idea what technology is being used these days. Today's racers aren't stuckusing technology, thry're developing technology, and at a pretty alarming rate.
ORIGINAL: Clif Brohn

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

there is a point at which it just isnt possible to go any faster...terminal velocity, and they are at the point right now where it is SUCH a fine balance between traction and no traction...i think that 4.42 is the current top fuel record? considering that is the BEST that they can do with the current power output and chassis design, i dont think that breaking the 4 second barrier is going to be possible without some sort of extreme engineering feat. i have no doubt that record top speeds, such as we see on the salt flats, will continue to increase, but from a stop, there is only so fast that a certain vehicle can get moving. and for a car to make a standing quarter mile pass in two seconds, you would be talking about a car moving at the speed of sound (761mph), and i dont think that is possible, just due to the coeficient of drag added by the ground surface.

oh, and go scelzi and capps
But thats just the thing...people were saying that back when slingshots were the fastest cars around. Somebody will make something. I'm not saying its gonna be anytime soon, but one day a new compound or casting method is gonna be discovered, and bam......three second quarter miles. I dont think we'll ever see sub 3 second cars(how the hell is the driver gonna control a car going 700+ mph like ROTM mentioned?) but 3s are very possible. I'd say inevitable. We are stuck with the technology we have now, who knows what will be out in another decade. Its crazy thinking about it.
You misunderstood me...not stuck as in waiting for another technological revolution to sweep out of nowhere, but with the technology we have RIGHT NOW, this season, these last two years....we arent there YET. Just like ROTM said, extreme engineering feat. Such as a new chasis design or compound that is extremely strong yet incredibly light weight, etc.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

NO, no...I understood...I was just saying.
There are currenttechnolgies that have been developed that are just too far ahead of the curve. Most of what you see today has been around for a while, it just takes time to integrate.
Most of the advances will be in traction management. They still really can't use all the power they're making. At any given instant, anywhere on the track, they can blow the tires. Fuel system management has been the focus lately. Too much wing and clutch, and the motor can't take the fuel. With conventional mechanical injection that's a hard tune to make. The better the tune, the more they can actually "use" the power they make, but then, when they get the tune right, there go the tires again! It's a never ending battle of clutch and fuel timing.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

2 valves, one cam and a 40 year old engine design are enough proof to me that power is not the limiting factor in a top fuel dragster. The ability to make more power with today's technology is here.
They can barely harness the power they make now. If they did find another 500hp, I doubt it would go any faster.
The clutches don't fully engage until a bit after half track and it's the crew chief's job to determine exactly when that will be.

Oh and record will continue to be broken. It's the job of the regulating body to keep things under control. LOL.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

the funny cars have to run 2V, one cam,with a maximum cid of 500...with a roots supercharger. i believe that the top fuel rules are the same.
Let me first ask how many valves in a 426 Hemi head?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

total or per cylinder?

16 total and 2 per cylinder.

thecombustion chamberis part of what makes a hemia hemi, and that is also why some people will say that the new "hemi" found in rams, chargers, magnum, etc, are not actually hemi heads...because the edges of the chamber are different than the original...
here is some info about them...
https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2640684
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

total or per cylinder?

16 total and 2 per cylinder.

thecombustion chamberis part of what makes a hemia hemi, and that is also why some people will say that the new "hemi" found in rams, chargers, magnum, etc, are not actually hemi heads...because the edges of the chamber are different than the original...
here is some info about them...
https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2640684
Excellentrun down. I understand more about the 426 CI Hemi now that I did before. I agree the new hemi's are not true hemi's because of the headdifferences. But if the new head can be ported deep into the chamber alltheway to the stem, then it would be desireable as the cfm improves dramatically. High Air/Fuel volis what it is about.

As far as the new hemi being compared to the LS6? I don't know about that. Many friends of mine say the LS6 and the 4.2 4V are the best American production engines ever built.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

my rebuttal to that is...pretty much every NHRA and IHRA top fuel and funny car runs a chrysler hemi, or a "chrysler hemi-like" engine...

Quick Reply: how the hell do top fuel dragsters build 5000+hp?