Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Sandhills Open Road Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
JediGuy

Default Sandhills Open Road Challenge

www.sorcrace.com

Has anyone run in this before? In the pictures and videos, I saw a few Mustangs and Cobras.

I have never participated in a road race of any sort (besides drag) but am considering this. It seems like quite a challenge and definitely a worthy goal for next year. I won't be out to prove anything, but wouldn't sit back and cruise, either.

Have any suggestions for a noob?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Talked to a buddy of mine from Nebraska, he had never heard of it. Said the roads are nice and there is no one that lives out there.

No suggestions, just research and do it.. or look at the Silver State Classic.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, good stuff.

Assuming you have no experience whatsoever (forgive me if you do), if I was you I would start off in an HPDE event (High Performance Driving Education) or two first so you get the hang of driving your car at high speeds on a course. We all think we know how to drive our car well, but realize that a majority of us don't when the time comes for us to perform at higher levels...like what you're trying to get into. In an HPDE, it's on a closed course with an instructor, and there are usually run offs if you make a boo-boo or two (like me!). If you make a boo-boo on an open road or up in a mountain, you might go off a hill or run into a guard rail or worse.

Open road racing or hill climbing was always something I was going to get into, but I needed to make sure I could "drive" my car before hitting the open road.

IMO, HPDE's are where I would start first...and TRUST ME, they are just as fun...if not addicting.

Check out this link:

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...d.php?t=102798
Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
haskett

Agreed. Start off with a DE at a track where you can hone your skills and more importantly learn the limits of your driving. If you run off the track, no big deal, you typically just get the car dirty. If you run off of a ORR, you are going to destroy your car at a minimum and more likely hurt or kill yourself and your navigator.

That said, I've done SORC three times and BBORR many more times. They are both a blast. Get some instructor-led track time and then enter SORC or BBORR (or any other ORR) at a slow class. Then, keep going to DE events and work your way up the ORR classes slowly.

Here's a roadside view of me getting passed while I'm doing 160-162.

Here's in-car video of the same pass.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
JediGuy

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I am going to take your logical advice and not go this coming year. I'll be checking out any local performance driving schools in the Chicago/Indiana area for next spring/summer.

Thanks for that link, too, Moochman4life. That is exactly what I would have asked for.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I've driven the sand hills of Nebraska before. That would be Nebraska HWY 2. This sounds like loads of fun.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JediGuy
Thanks for your opinions, guys. I am going to take your logical advice and not go this coming year. I'll be checking out any local performance driving schools in the Chicago/Indiana area for next spring/summer.

Thanks for that link, too, Moochman4life. That is exactly what I would have asked for.
Hey man, no problem.

You might know this, but just make sure that you have your ride inspected (by you if you know what you're doing or someone you trust) before heading out to the track...make sure it's ready for some hard work. I would also swap your stock/street pads with a set of track pads, too.

If you don't have a helmet, there are places that will rent them if you don't want to buy one.