Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Calling all Road Race/ X-Cross/ Suspension gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Max_Apex

Default Calling all Road Race/ X-Cross/ Suspension gurus

Help and opinions needed...
I picked up a fox mustang gt, with it's sole purpose of building a corner carving demon that will be 90% track use and 10% street (cruise nights and parking lot pimpin lol).
With that said, I pretty much know what suspension/chassis mods I will being going with, I'm just unsure of the order, in which, to build them up.

So far, my suspension/ chassis mods are....mm flsfc w/seat supports, and mm stb. I also just ordered the basic 5-lug conversion kit and I'm cuurently looking for a wheel/tire package to go with.

Now this is where it gets tricky for me, because I'm just not a rich guy and I can't afford to spend gobs of money in one shot. So I have to break it down into smaller clumps.

With that said, I plan on starting with the rear, with a panhard bar and lower control arms, in preparation for a torque arm. BUT....I plan on converting to coilovers too. So I'm unsure if I should do coil overs first, whether or not I need to do coilovers on all fours at one, or if it's ok to break it down to rears then fronts later....stuff like that.

My ultimate goal would be the equivalent of the mm road racing grip box but I have to piece it together. So if any of you guys could help with the most logical order in which I should upgrade my components, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Lastly, I need help with choosing coil overs for rr applications. I'm not at all concerned with comfort, but I do want it to perform. The science of coilovers and spring rates just confuse me. Any suggestions and knowledge with your experiences would be great.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Max_Apex

Im a little surprised. I did expect, at least, one or two corner carvers here. Hell I half expected you 1320 guys to even throw down on suspension info, considering the fact that all that hp you throw under the hood doesnt mean sh**, if you can't put it to the ground.
Hopefully someone has an educated response. Till then, I'm gonna wing it and share my results.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Max_Apex

Come to think of it, maybe I posted my thread in the wrong section? If so, would a mod be so kind as to move it to the appropriate section?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Max_Apex

Ok then...
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Max_Apex

Well, I can only assume one or all of three things.
1) people, on this forum, don't have the knowledge to help me out.
2) they have the knowledge, don't care to help me out.
3) there is no moderator here to place this thread in the correct section, to get the help I need.
I dunno.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Obviously this isn't a very busy section - there are only 8 topics within the last 2 months. If you haven't re-posted this in the general "Suspension" forum already, I'd suggest doing that.

I think I'd do the torque arm and PHB before doing anything else, because that will establish the rear roll center height and much of the geometry. You're going to end up with relatively firmer rear springs, which might not be the hot tip with a mish-mash PHB + triangulated 4-link setup at all.

Speaking of which, adding a PHB to a tri 4-link intentionally adds suspension bind in roll. While you can sort of "get away" with doing this if you set the PHB height up around UCA height, or if you never drive harder than *maybe* moderate if you can't fit it up there, this combination has the potential for sudden and sometimes unpleasant results.

Norm
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Max_Apex

Thanks, I've since joined a different forum and I'm being helped there.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Care to PM me with which one it is? I do follow a couple others.

Norm