MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pipes, Boost & Juice (https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes-boost-and-juice-15/)
-   -   Turbo Or S/C (https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes-boost-and-juice/116119-turbo-or-s-c.html)

woodywoody 04-13-2006 08:44 PM

Turbo Or S/C

Here soon, i will be adding one of these. Whatever i do, i will only have it to about 4-6psi to bein with since i will have a stock engine. As i mod the engine, i will want to boost up the PSI for more power. I was looking at the Whipple S/C and Turbo setup. I was wondering which of these would make better power when fully used. In the end, i want to max out the S/C or Turbo once i forge the engine.

-W

luckythirteen13 04-13-2006 09:00 PM

RE: Turbo Or S/C

to "max out" a sc or turbo youll need a new block to handle it. and its not a good idea to run anything at its max output. just below is better. id go turbo personally. less paracitic hp loss

91stang 04-13-2006 09:18 PM

personally i'd go with the turbo. but before i thought to do that i'd build the bottom end first them put in the turbo so your not limited to 9 psi with a stock block

woodywoody 04-13-2006 09:38 PM

Ok well i dont mean MAXXXXXXX out but i wanted to know what offered me more PSI potential after i redo the engine. I have a 06 GT btw if that helps.

-W

Dirty Sanchez 04-13-2006 11:03 PM

Another vote for the Turbizzle.

woodywoody 04-13-2006 11:55 PM

Yea the more and more i see things on the net and read posts, the more i think the turbo is the way to go. Also... I heard a while ago, like 6 years when i younger before i really knew what exactly a turbo was and how it works, that they go out after time and you have to replace them. Any truth to this?

-W

luckythirteen13 04-14-2006 12:34 AM

nothing lasts forever. turbos i dont think wear out any faster then a sc would

93BlackNotch 04-14-2006 12:37 AM

YOU CAN RUN MORE THAN 6LBS ON A STOCK BOTTOM END.... YOU CAN RUN UP TO 15LBS WITH EASE.... IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE.....

Turbos last a long time, they will probably out last the car... I don't know who you heard that from but they are wrong...

nanaki 04-14-2006 12:45 AM

not like you're really gonna do it, but turbo is the overall best. i wouldn't do it unless you build your engine to really pump some power out. if you're only "planning" on running like 6psi, just get a supercharger and save yourself a few grand.

woodywoody 04-14-2006 02:23 AM

I was only talking about running 6psi or so when i first install either the S/C or the Turbo. Then, after i take care of the other things, suspension, cluch, rear end, etc, i want to get forged insides and then boost either the S/C or the turbo up to what it's really able to do. I dont plan on getting another short block or anything so stock block with forged insides, whatever that PSI will handle with a proper tune, i just wanted to know what made better power when i want to go bigger then just 6psi. Not really more RWHP but all around power curve.

I have decided it's either a whipple S/C or a Single Turbo (no need for a double correct if i not going to be like completely redoing the whole engine?)

-W

Birdieman4 04-14-2006 02:51 PM

Back up a half step for me. What is your hp goal?

luckythirteen13 04-14-2006 03:12 PM

you dont seem to understand that you can have forged internals that are capable of 2000hp but if you put them in the stock block your still going to to blow your motor up somewhere between 500-600hp. dont plan on forged internals on the stock block cause it wont do a damn thing. the stock block is weaker then the stock internals

woodywoody 04-14-2006 06:00 PM

My goal would be around 475-500 RWHP. Basically the highest power output i could get with the stock block and forged insides. Whichever Turbo or S/C will give me the best output and is safe. I could get either one but I LOVE the sound of a turbo.

-W

2K929 04-14-2006 08:22 PM

turrrrrrrrrrrrbo

woodywoody 04-15-2006 11:37 AM

Yep, sold! Hehe, now the only problem is finding which one i want. I was looking at the STS Turbo one but it is remote mounted and i am just not quite sure about that. On their website they try and show how it is actually better, less heat in the engine, no need for a timer when you turn the car off so the turbo keeps running for a minute or two so the oil doesnot get clogged up but i assume they would say anything to get ehri product sold. I dont know enough to know if thats actually true. Also the whole water getting into the filter since the filter is mounted under the car in the rear was another problem i saw but they have a cover for it.. Then there is all the piping butthey claim NO lag issues with the boost at all. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-W

Zoie_daGT 04-16-2006 02:28 PM

You may want to do a search because this has been discussed. I vote for turbo. In your case on an 06GT you would prob. want to do TT. STS is a good company but very expensive. Turbos in general will cost you a lot but they are even more so. I was pretty much sold w/ HP Performance. They are another great name in turbo kits. You can pick up the current issue of MM&FF to get some other ideas as it was all about turbos.

As I recall, the 4.6L kits are basically Twin Turbo kits and the 5.0s are single turbo kits. You really could do either; just do your research and you will be happy.

woodywoody 04-16-2006 08:45 PM

I went to 4 different places today to look for that mag but nobody had it.

Also, i had a question about the STS system... I noticed that it's remote mounted and from the install pictures, removes the mufflers and just has straight pipe (that frankly looks kind of funny under the car). They claim that having the turbo in the back of the car helps with heat but some people have said that it's bad because where the air filter is located could see alot of water (they offer a cover now) but also, the amount of tubing needed for this application seems a bit much. It would seem to me that you would want as little piping for the air to flow through to get to the engine as possible. having it in the back of the car seems like you would get even longer lag times. I could be wrong.

-W

IPSgreg 04-17-2006 12:25 PM

They lag a few hundred rpm more than something mounted up front at most. And do you really plan on driving your turboed pony in the rain?

woodywoody 04-17-2006 01:11 PM

Well i finally found the latest issue of MM&FF which has this turbo installed on a 06. Aside from getting better water protection for the air filters (not just mud flaps like they offer now) they said it was a very very sweet system. Able to handle 800 HP.

Now for at least the time being, i dont plan on going over 500 hp but i will have this car a LONG time and eventually, i probably will go over 500 to upwards of 700 or 800 in the next two years. Isaw the Kenne Bell S/C can make 850HP on 24 PSI with 91 oct which is crazy.

So, Twin Turbo for $8,000
Or
Kenne Bell S/C for $5,200ish

-W

Birdieman4 04-17-2006 01:48 PM

So, Twin Turbo for $8,000
Or
Kenne Bell S/C for $5,200ish
If you don't think you'll want any more than 500 hp, I say go the screw route.

woodywoody 04-17-2006 03:13 PM

I will def want to go over 500 hp in the future. Probably about a year and a half from now. But both the sts turbo and the kenne bell solutions seem to offer the same amount of hp. I cant decide grrrrrrr

-W

smoothoperator 04-17-2006 05:31 PM

TURBO

woodywoody 04-17-2006 11:46 PM

yea its looking more and more like it :)

-W

Gonzo71 04-29-2006 01:59 PM

"Now for at least the time being, i dont plan on going over 500 hp but i will have this car a LONG time and eventually, i probably will go over 500 to upwards of 700 or 800 in the next two years. Isaw the Kenne Bell S/C can make 850HP on 24 PSI with 91 oct which is crazy."

Woodywoody, I think that if you look on the KB site again, you will find where they say 91 octane with 5psi (or 8psi - intercooled). Anything over that and you will need to add octane booster. I do not know anything about turbos, but would think that psi/octane ratio would stay about the same??? Anybody with knowledge on this PLEASE comment, as I am looking at power adders as soon as I get back from the sand box in October.

Morbid Intentions 05-03-2006 04:10 PM

for an 06 a well known shop by me does a beastly S/C setup that I hear good things about
http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

QuickShortBus 05-03-2006 05:00 PM

Turbo - The proud owner of a turbocharged '06 speaking so I know exactly what you are looking at having.