Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
View Poll Results: A poll
Bassani Quiet Thunder
4.55%
Flowmaster American Thunder
20.45%
Magnaflow
29.55%
Magnapack
25.00%
Mac Flowpath
20.45%
Spintech Pro Street
0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which cat back for the deepest bassiest sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 07:14 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Default Which cat back for the deepest bassiest sound?

I want to get cat-backs to get the deepest, bassiest sound. I'm not much into the loudness of the exhaust. More into the bass tone. I was standing in a parking lot once and a domestic brand V-8 drove by and I could feel the exhaust. Not the wind but the sound. It was like someone walked by beating on a bass drum. Boom boom boom boom... When the car took off, it didn't do the blaaaap sound. It just had a deep rumble. I said to myself, "That's the sound I want!" I know a lot of you like the Ferrari-like sound. I like the classic American muscle car rumble better.

I don't mean to knock on your preference. This is just my personal choice. I hope the flamers can hold back on the ALL CAPS remarks about which sound is "better".

I've read through the "What's the best exhaust?" threads and I see a lot of "brand X sucks. brand y is better". But what sucks and what's better is different for everyone. I can't figure out which one is which. I've listened to a lot of the sound clips on mustangexhaust.com and I think I like the Magnaflows the best.

I'd like to get your opinion on which cat-back system would give me the deep bass sound. Again, I'm not into the loudness of the sound. Just the deepest rumble. I have a stock 04 GT with stock mufflers and the stock H pipe. For now, all I want are the cat backs. Maybe later I'll upgrade the H pipe.

Let me know if I need to edit or update the poll.

--------------------
EDIT: Looks like the are a lot of views on the thread. Let me add the stuff I found on www.mustangexhaust.com. It will probably help others who are searching for the perfect sound too.

Typical Exhaust Combinations and Their Sounds

H-pipe and chambered mufflers - Produce a deep, burbly, throaty exhaust sound reminiscent of a 60's big block muscle car. Flowmaster, MAC, and Spintech are popular examples of chambered mufflers.

X-pipe and straight-through mufflers - Produce a raspy, higher pitch exhaust note similar to European sports cars. Magnaflow, Dynomax, Borla, and Bassani are popular examples of straight-through mufflers.

Off-road H-pipe and X-pipe - Produce a raw and much louder exhaust note compared to H-pipes and X-pipes with catalytic converters. Exhaust popping and crackling is typical with these mid-pipes.

Catalytic H-pipe and X-pipe - Produce sound levels similar to factory mid-pipes.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which cat back for the deepest bassiest sound?

if your into deep bass, you shouldnt have gotten a 4.6
Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Well for the combo you are going to need an h-pipe, helps give that muscle car sound, and hate to say it.....I am not sure I can....but I am going to try......flowmasssssttttteeeerrrrrrsssss. Damn it know I have to go punish myself for telling someone to get slowmasters, ahhh that felt better.LOL

That combo usually gives a deep exhaust with base, but it's loud and annoying.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Silver, what are you nuts!!!! LOL!

slowmasters for deep bass sound?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:31 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I know I know, but it seems as he doesn't want the RASP and popping with the exhaust, I know that my exhaust pops and rasps. I love reving up to 5 grand and lifting off the throttle to listen to her pop her brains out till 2 grand. Brings the hugest smile and occasional chukle!!!!!

Not really sure on the regular but I am sure it is not as raspy. Don't worry I had my girlfriend punsih me for it. I feel much better and I won't let it happen again, well maybe, the punishment wasn't to bad. LOL!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

All the 4.6 Mustangs I've heard with a MAC flowpath cat-back and MAC ProChamber H-pipe are pretty bassy. First time I heard one was in a 2002 GT and since I had never heard it before, I could have swore he swapped in a 351, because I thought no way could a 4.6 make that deep of an exhaust note. It was your traditional sixties, rumbly, ballsy, street-shaking sound that makes you go [:-].
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 AM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

Bummer. Mustangexhaust doesn't have a sound clip of the Mac Flowpath cat-back with the stock H-pipe and stock headers. One of their threads did mention that H-pipes create a lower note than X-pipes, so I'll stick with my factory H-pipe for now.

After listening to the clips of the Mac Flowpath, I think that's where I'm leaning. What are your thoughts on getting a cat-back first, then an H-pipe later?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: propellerhead

Bummer. Mustangexhaust doesn't have a sound clip of the Mac Flowpath cat-back with the stock H-pipe and stock headers. One of their threads did mention that H-pipes create a lower note than X-pipes, so I'll stick with my factory H-pipe for now.

After listening to the clips of the Mac Flowpath, I think that's where I'm leaning. What are your thoughts on getting a cat-back first, then an H-pipe later?

I have that exact car you speak of. I'll try and get you a decent sound clip of it this weekend.

It sounds pretty badass if you ask me, and lots of other people that hear it think it's the best sounding Mustang around. Every Mustang around here has Flowmasters. You get tired of the same thing all the time.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:18 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

4.6 right?

Thanks. That would be nice. With everyone's idea of what the best sound being different, it's hard to sort it all out.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

4.6 right?
See below...

Quick Reply: Which cat back for the deepest bassiest sound?