Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

What makes the exhaust pop and gargle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

Default What makes the exhaust pop and gargle?

my exhaust has been doing it ALOT latly, i have true duels with all the stock cats on, with an H pipe and 2 flowmaster 40 series orginal.

but it pops like crazy when iam revving it up during a cold start up. and it does it all threw the parking lot. is there a way i can keep it where it will keep poping when i rev it?

and what causes it to pop?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:20 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What makes the exhaust pop and gargle?

has it done it the whole time you've had it, but getting worse? or did it just start recently?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

+1 could be a valve
Old 07-09-2006, 02:40 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Vash the Stampede

my exhaust has been doing it ALOT latly, i have true duels with all the stock cats on, with an H pipe and 2 flowmaster 40 series orginal.

but it pops like crazy when iam revving it up during a cold start up. and it does it all threw the parking lot. is there a way i can keep it where it will keep poping when i rev it?

and what causes it to pop?
Revving on a cold start up is never a good idea. All exhaust systems sound more pissed and 'crisp' when the car is cold.

Mufflers like Magnaflow like to pop and bang when you are coming down through the rpm's.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eternal981

has it done it the whole time you've had it, but getting worse? or did it just start recently?
yep.. it just started doing it recently, and on down revs.

iin my opinion its sorta of a good thing.. what makes that sound and how can have it always pop?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

mine started recently, and i hate it. in fact, it revolves around me installing/removing my IAC Restrictor plate, as much as that doesnt make sense. its gone now, and still does it. except now its also at idle, where the plate made it do it on decel.

if you really like that sound, make yourself an IAC restrictor plate. i guarantee it'll do that everytime you let off the gas.

EDIT: as far as what MAKES it pop, its unburnt gas exploding into your exhaust system. and there are lots of things that can cause that to happen.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:54 PM
NoisyPony
1st Gear Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, if you are popping alot it could be because you are running rich and if that is true you aren't making as much power and your mileage should be worse?

If he reset his computer and his popping stopped (for a while) wouldn't that tell him it was a rich condition causes it?

When I first put my MRT catted H pipe on, the engine ran VERY smooth for a while to my disapointment :-) because (I think) it was leaner until the computer compensated for the more air flow. Now it has a nicer rumble on deceleration after running it for a while....
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

wow thanks for all the replys! iam about to order me one of those mach 1 restrictor plates! i hope it fits... those mach 1 guys rock at finding this out!
Old 07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
NoisyPony
1st Gear Member

Oh, and is far as the restrictor plate causing it... the restrictor plate allows the engine to drop rpms fast, as soon as you let off the throttle and that would show or exagerate any popping condition that exists.

My car only pops at very low rpms and the tranny HAS to be pushing the engine on decell for it to happen and I really like the sound too. :-)
Old 07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

no no no, don't order one. make one. if you have tin snips, a drill, drill bits, and a few pieces of wood laying around, you can do it yourself just fine. a dremel tool could help too. i made my first out of very thin aluminum sheet metal. i could cut it with scissors, and used a hole punch (not a paper hole punch, but they might work too) to make the holes. its easy. i made 2 of them in 5 minutes, and stacked them both to compensate for how thin the sheet metal was.

and as far as the IAC causing it... i completely understand why they'd cause it. but why, after removing them and resetting the computer twice, does it still keep happening? never did that before the IAC install, and i haven't modded my car in a LONG time.

EDIT: i forgot to explain why you need wood. it'll take some playing around, if you've never done it before. but sandwich the sheet metal between two pieces of wood before you drill the hole. otherwise your drill bit will do more tearing than drilling. might even help to drill the bypass hole in two sheets, and then cut the rest of the shape around that, to make sure its perfect. it really isn't very hard to do at all...

Quick Reply: What makes the exhaust pop and gargle?