Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

STS turbo = POS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: STS turbo = POS!!!!

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus
Well not everyone lives in the desert, besides water is the least of the problems with that system. Complicated piping that is routed way too low, oiling and torque curve are much bigger issues to me.
Clearance on their setups is about as big of an issue as stock exhaust hitting on things. The turbo is usually mounted by the rear wheels, making it even harder for you to scrape the turbo on the ground.
Yes except for STS ran the piping under the rearend on S197s and under every crossmember the car has it deffinetly has clearance issues, other kits may not but the S197 kit does.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:24 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus
Yes except for STS ran the piping under the rearend on S197s and under every crossmember the car has it deffinetly has clearance issues, other kits may not but the S197 kit does.
Understandable. Not a big fan of their work. I don't pay much attention to it.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
BadSTSpony

STS recommends the single turbo kit unless you have upgraded the engine. I have the STS twin turbo kit, and pretty much a lot of what was stated is untrue. I have never had issues with water, rocks, potholes or even speed bumps. We have driven through some pretty heavy downpours. I can safely do through all of those and have never rubbed any of the piping. Steep inclines or steep approaches to driveways can get a little hairy, but the same thing happens if your car is lowered.

As for spool up, we're spooled up by 3000 rpms. Last week, we dyno'ed the car again. On 12 lbs of boost we put down 547rwhp and 565 ft. lbs. We are in the process of changing a few things and are expecting to see 600 rwhp by the time we are done.

Just thought that I would post up some facts from someone that has the system.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

When was the last time you drove through a flooded area? I never said anything about rain. I said if your whole tailpipe got submerged. & your full boost should be reached at the same if not close to a similar sized setup because of the smaller exhaust housing that has to be used & efficiency takes a hit because of that.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Grabbn 07
1st Gear Member

People get the STS remote mount system for the same reason people buy axle-back exhaust. THE WICKED SOUND!

true there are alot of other turbo systems that are 10x more effective (i.e. powerhouse) but damn, remotemounting your turbos under the car? you ever hear one of them drive by, orpullp to one at a light? you crap your pantst just sounds OH... SO! EVIL!

not tomention the sleeper potental, as theonly indication of the turbo is the intake tube coming from under the car... but then just tell the guy thats the best place to get your air from
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

i dunno guy my buddy has a ws6 with the sts kit on he just ran 11.50's with a horrible slipping clutch on radials he made around 600rwhp with his kit at 12psi i guarentee once the clutch is swapped on some slicks hell get 10's no problem theyre not that bad they work
Old 10-28-2006, 02:18 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grabbn 07
People get the STS remote mount system for the same reason people buy axle-back exhaust. THE WICKED SOUND!

true there are alot of other turbo systems that are 10x more effective (i.e. powerhouse) but damn, remotemounting your turbos under the car? you ever hear one of them drive by, orpullp to one at a light? you crap your pantst just sounds OH... SO! EVIL!
Try moving your parts around on the intake side you'd be surprised the sound difference. You can get sleeper sound or a very evil sound. What I found is the most evil sound came from when I had my filter mounted directly by the meter, then the turbo really close to the turbo in a draw through setup.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:29 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

I mean, we get what, 4, maybe 5 rainy days in CA and its definately not enough to flood or get up to where a turbo would be.

thank god, thats a enough for me.

not a fan of remote turbos but if you have to pass smog like use CA guys, this might be a good way to hide them from the smog tech. there is a guy on turbomustangs who was building is own remote turbo kit on his 05 or 06gt and he cut off the back of the stock muffer and used it to hide the twin turbos so from behind it looked stock.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:29 AM
BadSTSpony

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

When was the last time you drove through a flooded area? I never said anything about rain. I said if your whole tailpipe got submerged. & your full boost should be reached at the same if not close to a similar sized setup because of the smaller exhaust housing that has to be used & efficiency takes a hit because of that.
Ummm... never. I don't make it a habit to drive through flooded areas. Not even in my POS daily beater. If I were to submerge the turbo, I'd have water almost half way up my doors.

"With so long of intake and exhaust tubes, doesn't it take a while for the boost to build up?
No, our intake tubing volume is about the same as most conventional turbo setups that are running a front mounted intercooler, and less than many of them that run large intercoolers. We aren't talking about a small compressor filling up a large air tank, we are talking about a huge compressor filling up a very small volume which only takes a fraction of a second. Our systems compress the intake tubing in about .05 seconds. So much for turbo lag..."

Old 10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BadSTSpony
Ummm... never. I don't make it a habit to drive through flooded areas. Not even in my POS daily beater. If I were to submerge the turbo, I'd have water almost half way up my doors.

"With so long of intake and exhaust tubes, doesn't it take a while for the boost to build up?
No, our intake tubing volume is about the same as most conventional turbo setups that are running a front mounted intercooler, and less than many of them that run large intercoolers. We aren't talking about a small compressor filling up a large air tank, we are talking about a huge compressor filling up a very small volume which only takes a fraction of a second. Our systems compress the intake tubing in about .05 seconds. So much for turbo lag..."
Then don't drive through flooded areas higher than your door. I was trying to defend it in that aspect. My area was on the efficiency. & more specifically I wasn't talking about your intake part. You can run a higher psi on a remote mount setup without getting an intercooler & you don't have to worry about the pressure drop of the intercooler until you want to get higher psi, I'm well aware of this. I was talking about on the exhaust side. If you took that quote from their site, they are pretty accurate on how long it takes to compress it in the intake side, looks like they just left out what mostly causes the lag.
It takes the exhaust gas longer to get there & from the piping the gasses have cooled & got more dense in a rear mount setup. The whole intake part has a very very small role in lag time. The most time consuming part comes from the time it takes the cylinder to get high exhaust gas volume to the exhaust & spin it.

Looks like they're just good with words, but I guess that's what it takes to sell a product.

Quick Reply: STS turbo = POS!!!!