Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Vortech Belt Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 AM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

Default Vortech Belt Install

I figured out that the reason i was having belt squeal was because i swapped pulleys to a 3.33 but was using the stock 108" belt. I called vortech and they told me a 107.5" would be perfect. I did some searches and found conflicting answers on belt installs. On the 01-04 GT's Is it necessary to pull anything off at all to swap belts? Some people said either the alternator or S/C has to come off, but then the other half say if you have two people and one person pushes up on the tensioner from underneath that the other can slip the belt over the alternator. I like the latter idea much better, but is it as easy as it sounds?[/align]
Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Belt Install

The belt install goes like this

1). Remove the intake going to the blower, just the flex tube is fine
2). Remove the tubing from the blower ot the intake or i/c
3). Loosen up the headunit to get to the pulleys behind it.
4). Route it like the diagram in the vortech instructions (available on Vortech page)
5). The install requires you to pull the tensioner towards the driver side and slip the belt over the water pump (i forget, it might be the P/S pump, its the one in the bottom right). THIS IS NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS, IT TAKES MUSCLE TO DO IT ALONE, doing it with 2 people is recommended.
6). Attach the head unit again and all the intake tubing.

E.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Belt Install

I just had to put the belt back on last night after putting the top end back together. OMG do you have any idea how hard it was to try to push on the tensioner while using your other hand to slip the belt back on? LoL. Took a lot of effort but finally got it on. Sad part is, I am going to have to take it back off again soon to change the oil in the S/C.