Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Vs. Centrifugal Supercharger

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

I think that is the right name Centrifugal Supercharger, the pro-charger kind. Anyways, I'm considering going super charged or turbo charged. I'm totally addicted to the blow off valve sound, and I love the idea of not having to get into boost when I don't want to. However, I already have a full exhaust system, and I'm not too crazy about having to hack it up or get new stuff. But either way, I still need to know. What is the benefit to getting the centrifugal supercharger over the turbo charger. And, considering i'm only really interested in about 500hp. Not much more if any. What is the best?
Well,if you were looking to get themost hp out of your car I would say turbo... they are more efficient and will give you the most hp…but you have to look at what your goal is. If you only want 500hp and don't particularly want to mess with your exhaust a s/c would be the better choice. Either way you are going to have to build up your engine a bit to handle 500hp but a s/c will be cheaper, you won't have to change any exhaust parts, and you can easily see 500hp+ with one. Everybody always looks at the system with the most possible etc... but most never even use the full potential of the cheaper model. For your goal.. go with a s/c it just makes more sense.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have the Procharger. It may wellbe that a turbo is better...don't know that much about FI. You should research both s/c and turbo with equal vigor. But the Procharger does produce good power, is very upgradeable, sounds like a jet engine and has loud blowoff noise.

View the link for a very short test drive from last week after a dynotune. Ripping through 1st and 2nd takes less than 3 seconds now.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=streettest1.flv

Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 AM
HnRMustang_00

ok im tryin to do the same thing...what kind of mods would i have to do to my engine for it to handle that kind of power or would it be fine with just minor mods...or even none at all???
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Really just arguing costs....a procharger isnt all that much cost worthy. A decent kit anyways, like a ATI unit will run you almost 5+ grand when its all said and done and if your not putting it on yourself tack on some more. A Hellion kit is around 6,500 i believe havn't looked inawhile and it comes with pretty much every nut and bolt you need to put it in. A procharger kit isnt going to include your injectors and everything else, just the supercharger kit. I believe, but may be mistaken, the hellion kits lnclude a fuel pump, injectors and MAF. Plus it keeps your air conditioning.

But either way you go your still going to have it tuned. Thorwing a S/C or a turbo on a car with no extra tuning is a kinda stupid thing to do in any case, i dont care if your only running 5psi or 50. You need to have it tuned and thats going to cost money to.

Plus there isn't a point in putting forged internals into your stock block. Spend the money elsewhere. The stock insides are stronger than the stock blocks. There was a guy on turbo mustangs.com who made so much power with a MP T-70 and had like 130 passes or something like that on a stock long block, he finally turned the boost up to around 20psi and ran it about 10 passes on that.before hefinally bent like three connecting rods. But he didnt really care, it was a stock motor, he pulled it and replaced it with another stock motor. But the point everyone on the site was amazed about is his block didnt crack before the rod bent, its extrememly rare a rod or piston breaks before the block unless your a dumb *** and trying someting stupid. Theres guys on there makeing 600hp on stock long blocks, they might only last about 50 passes or less though, i think the record is like 300 passes or something before a block failure. Check the 'castastrofic' failure section on the site. They give complete lists of their mods, tunes etc and how many passes/ street miles they had on their engines before they broke.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM
s3cret_stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Really just arguing costs....a procharger isnt all that much cost worthy. A decent kit anyways, like a ATI unit will run you almost 5+ grand when its all said and done and if your not putting it on yourself tack on some more. A Hellion kit is around 6,500 i believe havn't looked inawhile and it comes with pretty much every nut and bolt you need to put it in. A procharger kit isnt going to include your injectors and everything else, just the supercharger kit. I believe, but may be mistaken, the hellion kits lnclude a fuel pump, injectors and MAF. Plus it keeps your air conditioning.

But either way you go your still going to have it tuned. Thorwing a S/C or a turbo on a car with no extra tuning is a kinda stupid thing to do in any case, i dont care if your only running 5psi or 50. You need to have it tuned and thats going to cost money to.

Plus there isn't a point in putting forged internals into your stock block. Spend the money elsewhere. The stock insides are stronger than the stock blocks. There was a guy on turbo mustangs.com who made so much power with a MP T-70 and had like 130 passes or something like that on a stock long block, he finally turned the boost up to around 20psi and ran it about 10 passes on that.before hefinally bent like three connecting rods. But he didnt really care, it was a stock motor, he pulled it and replaced it with another stock motor. But the point everyone on the site was amazed about is his block didnt crack before the rod bent, its extrememly rare a rod or piston breaks before the block unless your a dumb *** and trying someting stupid. Theres guys on there makeing 600hp on stock long blocks, they might only last about 50 passes or less though, i think the record is like 300 passes or something before a block failure. Check the 'castastrofic' failure section on the site. They give complete lists of their mods, tunes etc and how many passes/ street miles they had on their engines before they broke.
Well with the mods listed below I am running 405rwhp and 430rwtq, which I think it translates to almost 500hp at the crank. My Procharger kit which included fuel pump, injectors, all the fittings, new tune,etc, the complete kit was barely over 4000 and I got it from Texashotrods brand new. It can actually be cheaper if you get the list of all the components and buy them seperatly...or so I heard..but I was too lazy for that.

And yes it does sound like a jet, and has a mean Surge valve, but I actualy wish it didnt sound that loud, it doesnt take too long for everyone to figure out you have a SC. I was very close to getting a turbo setup, but I dont really see having my block rebuilt in the near future so I wouldnt use it to its full potential and be spinning my tires even more than I do now.

Oh by the way you can tell procharger what you have done to your car as far as the exhuast system on the phone before you get the kit and they will tune the chip they give you for it, pretty sweet. Procharger made me very happy except for the stock intake actually....melting...get a powerpipe...trust me.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 AM
393Bird
2nd Gear Member

I was going to do a Turbo on mine, but ended up doing a SC instead. It is almost completed, and should be road ready in 2 weeks. This is not a Kit, so it did take some fabrication and mods to fit correctly. This is a Vortech YSi, to a carbed 393.

The Blow Off valve is sitting on the shock tower, and will be installed this week, and vented to under the fender.

Full Details: http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/sup...gerinstall.htm
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Centrifugal is cheaper! I love my Paxton.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Turbo :
- Expensive if a Kit
- A lot of Fabrication of Exhaust tubing if not a kit
- No Parasitic Loss so More power
- Turbo Sound, blow off valve
- Fewer "complete" kits

Supercharger (centri)
- Cheaper then a Turbo setup generally