Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Intercooler Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Default Intercooler Gains?

I am starting the install of my intercooler on sunday. It is an ebay intercooler bar&plate with 24x12x3 sized core. I also have BTI piping. Called my tuner a little while ago to ask if it would be safe to run 10psi and he said "dont do it", so im not going to. Im keeping it at 8psi. He also said that I wouldnt even need to change the pulley on it because I will only lose like 1 pound of boost at most. It hits 10psi on occasion anyways with the powerpipe. But then I told him I wanted at least 380whp and he said that would be very unlikely. He said I may only gain 15-20whp with the addition of an intercooler[:@].

My car put down 350whp before and so now im just looking at maybe 370whp intercooled. Kind of dissapointing, I was looking for 400. Does this sound right? Only 20hp? He said they would have to add fuel and increase timing by 2-3 degrees. How am I ever to make 400? Do I need a cam? I am still on stock throttle body so could I gain alot with a 70mm? I want more than 20whp.....

oh yea and this is on a mustang dyno....
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Intercooler Gains?

bout 40RWHP
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

bout 40RWHP
+1
if you only get 20hp from the intercooler, tell your dyno tuner your not paying and your going somewhere else
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

ORIGINAL: nanaki

bout 40RWHP
+1
if you only get 20hp from the intercooler, tell your dyno tuner your not paying and your going somewhere else
hahaha
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

feel free to run 10psi, the tuner should know to tune it conservatively. sounds like hes afraid youll split the motor at the 400rwhp mark. i ran 10psi on my stock block for a long time.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

The entire objective of the intercooler is to enable the engine to take in cooler more dense air charge -- up to 110 degrees. With that advantage, you can safely raise boost levels up to 3 psi with inpunity. Naturally you have to reflash and you tuner has to be on the ball as your engine will be running more lean.

If you simply add an intercooler without replacing the pulley with one of a smaller size, all you are going to do is lost a pound of boost and about 13 rwhp.

Looking back, I made 363 rwhp with a 3.60 pulley --non intercooled. I went with an aftercooler and a 3.125 pulley. My tuner made all the right air/fuel changes and the dyno hit 422 rwhp -- 49 rwhp gain and 3 psi. The better tune helped. At the time I was running stock internals, so my Tuner "detuned" it down to 409 rwhp to be safe.

A stock bottom can go 409 rwhp safely providing the guy tuning the Mustang is confident in his abilities.

Find youself a better tuner.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Wish I could find a Mustang tuneing specialst closer to me. Closet seems to be Buffalo or NYC/LI.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

hp gain will all be in the tune.
with an intercooler the tuner can add in a lot more timing
and more boost, for more hp.

Its not boost that causes detonation. Its the heat made from compressing the air.
Intercoolers take that heat out and allow for more boost on same tune or
more aggressive tune.

You should be able to run more boost if you want, but update the tune with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: janine

The entire objective of the intercooler is to enable the engine to take in cooler more dense air charge -- up to 110 degrees. With that advantage, you can safely raise boost levels up to 3 psi with inpunity. Naturally you have to reflash and you tuner has to be on the ball as your engine will be running more lean.

If you simply add an intercooler without replacing the pulley with one of a smaller size, all you are going to do is lost a pound of boost and about 13 rwhp.

Looking back, I made 363 rwhp with a 3.60 pulley --non intercooled. I went with an aftercooler and a 3.125 pulley. My tuner made all the right air/fuel changes and the dyno hit 422 rwhp -- 49 rwhp gain and 3 psi. The better tune helped. At the time I was running stock internals, so my Tuner "detuned" it down to 409 rwhp to be safe.

A stock bottom can go 409 rwhp safely providing the guy tuning the Mustang is confident in his abilities.

Find youself a better tuner.
Well he said we'll just have to see how efficient the intercooler core is and how much the temps drop before he will know how much timing to add. Non-intercooled temps were around 190 degrees in october. He said that even if I do lose 1 pound of boost, the increased timing will more than make up for the power loss. I feel confident in his abilities, he has tuned hundreds of mustangs (many with far more than 350whp) and mine has been running great with his last tune. But, he is SUPER conservative because he's had alot of guys blow their engines and come back blaming him for what happened. I think I will see what it does on the stock 3.60 pulley, and if I need to swap to a smaller one later I will. Im in no big hurry to make 400 because to be honest it feels pretty stout right now. Just need a little more to hang with the local pullied cobras. We'll see what happens. Ill post the dyno results and you guys can tell me what I should do next.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
ruffrider4403
1st Gear Member

take the time to find a good tuner. trust me. i just took my car to the local speed s shop and he blew it up. got it home and there was a big chunk missing out of the ring land.take ur time, do research and find the right tuner, even if u have to travel quite a ways. i was only running 10 psi. when it blew and he didnt' even tell me about it, i'm thinking about a lawsuit......

Quick Reply: Intercooler Gains?