Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

mustang turbo pic

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

Default RE: mustang turbo pic

ORIGINAL: turbosha

what i ment is , when you leave the line on a supercharger the more rpms = more boost, on a turbo ,if the engine isnt being pulled down no boost. so you leave the line at 4500rpms and dump the clutch, a turbo that size will start pulling about 4 sec.after your foot is on the floor. that my friend is lag.i even tried to hold the e- brake on the line to build boost and slip the clutch.when i said no lag on my setup is because i was on the street rolling at 45mph in 3rd gear and mash the throttle.yeah it would instantly break loose and throw a smoke show.
you should try a msd two step. i have a custom single setup...basically a gt-42...which is a good bit bigger thanbone's setup and i can easily get 8psi off the line with the two steop and a full 18-20psi by 3300rpms...lag? nope! if you have a 4 sec lagyou have a poorly matched setup and an ancient turbo
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

Wow nice set up.My brother has the same turbo kicking out 35+ psi of boost...on a desiel of coursei think that the94-96 dodge rams have that turbo .
Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

what i ment is , when you leave the line on a supercharger the more rpms = more boost, on a turbo ,if the engine isnt being pulled down no boost. so you leave the line at 4500rpms and dump the clutch, a turbo that size will start pulling about 4 sec.after your foot is on the floor. that my friend is lag.i even tried to hold the e- brake on the line to build boost and slip the clutch.when i said no lag on my setup is because i was on the street rolling at 45mph in 3rd gear and mash the throttle.yeah it would instantly break loose and throw a smoke show.
you should try a msd two step. i have a custom single setup...basically a gt-42...which is a good bit bigger thanbone's setup and i can easily get 8psi off the line with the two steop and a full 18-20psi by 3300rpms...lag? nope! if you have a 4 sec lagyou have a poorly matched setup and an ancient turbo
My AEM will 2 step, looking forward to playing with that.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

i dumped the 5 speed for a c4 and transbrake. should build as much boost as i want on the line.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 AM
bone5.0
1st Gear Member

i was thing about a auto c4 but my flywheel was balance to my crank and im not sure how they would balance the auto flywheel without taking them my crank. my 5 speed flywheel was a 50oz but they took some weigh out to balance my crank i think they took like 40 grams out.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pastfast125
well it's a big turbo with not much more gearing than he's got. I don't know enough about turbos to comment though but a lot of people have been telling me they think a cummins turbo is a little on the big side.
Not really. That turbo's not really that big for that engine. There are people running hx35's on the 2.3L mustangs reaching full boost (20-30psi) by 3500rpm stock; modified reaching full boost by 3000rpm.
You should never see 4 seconds of lag. Even with a bigger turbo at 1500 rpm you should see boost threshold before 2 seconds after punching it. at 4000 rpm you shouldn't be seeing any more than half a second lag.
The hx35 is definitely not even close to being too big for a 302. You could even get away with running two of them if you wanted. I'd probably go the hy35 route though if running two. they are a little smaller.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bone5.0

i was thing about a auto c4 but my flywheel was balance to my crank and im not sure how they would balance the auto flywheel without taking them my crank. my 5 speed flywheel was a 50oz but they took some weigh out to balance my crank i think they took like 40 grams out.

then your somewhat fugged. that's not the "wrong" way to do it...it's the cheaper way of balancing the rotating assembly. sometimes they cut both the flywheel and the balancer sometimes just one of the two...which is fine as long as you never plan on changing either of them

rbarn you'll love the two step....scares the living ish outta peopleespwitha turbo spooling...all bets are off then.i have mine out now i want to re wire it to automatically work when the clutch is depressed..have to search but you basically run it off the saftey switch
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
bone5.0
1st Gear Member

they said that you cant take 40 grams out of the crank so they took it out the flywheel.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

I've seen that turbo make 50+ psi on dodge trucks..
Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Fobra
Banned

.... riiiiggghhhhtttt.......

Quick Reply: mustang turbo pic