Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Can I install the Vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I install the Vortech?

Tapping isn't hard. Just drill the hole the right size, then use the right size tap, lube it up with some grease to catch the extra shavings and basically screw it into the hole. Kinda straight forward. I was nervous the first time I ever had to use a tap (and die), but after a day in class it was quite easy. If you want you should purchase a peice of junk oil pan from a junk yard and just practice on that. After 2 or 3 holes you'll be confident enough to do it in your sleep. From what I've heard, it's a lot easier to tap oil pans if you remove them, although I haven't spent much time under the engine to see if that is true.

Here's a tutorial from the site you probably ordered half your parts from:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=30

And here's a link to the install manual:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...FH4FL218im.pdf
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that is what I was planning on doing.Maybe not buy an oil pan to practice on, but an equivilant thickness piece of metal to put holes in. Either way, good idea and I definately plan on doing just that. I'm still looking for a MAF, injectors and a fuel pump, though. If anyone can point me in the right direction to get a good deal, let me know And thanks to all for the help on this one.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Fobra
Banned

I would just remove the pan, and weld the thing on, it shouldnt be that much more of a hassle really, just a gasket. but aleast you would have no shaving and be 100% leak free
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

LOL, that's an option, but one problem: I can't weld I haven't a clue how to use those things. I suppose I could take it to someone and have them do it. Couldn't be that hard I guess Thanks for the idea, I might just do that.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
LilDerk86
1st Gear Member

how much $ do you have in your pieced together setup from the sticky?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I bought everything he said up top, plus the coil bracket. The total came out to a bit over $700. The 97 GT's are appearantly a little cheaper to set these things up. After I got all that, I bought a boost and fuel pressure gauge for$88 shpped.The used head unit cost me $500. That puts me around $1300 right now and I am still missing those other three, but that's all I need. I'd like to keep it at $1500 if I can, but I might not be able to. That's why I'm asking around to see if anyone knows of any deals.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Fobra
Banned

you can go to any muffler shop / etc and have them weld it for you - they shouldnt charge more than 20 bucks - and it would be well worth it imo
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banned

you can go to any muffler shop / etc and have them weld it for you - they shouldnt charge more than 20 bucks - and it would be well worth it imo
Yeah, thats what I am at right now... I am working on getting a welder right now. I have taken classes in school and I think personally I would be good with a welder.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Fobra
Banned

I have one
Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Willem_Black

Tapping isn't hard. Just drill the hole the right size, then use the right size tap, lube it up with some grease to catch the extra shavings and basically screw it into the hole.
I would use a punch, not a drill bit. If you drill it out you will not have much material to put your threads into unless you are welding the fitting in there. If you use increasing size punches, you will roll the material into the eventual opening giving you at least 2-3 threads or morewhen tapped. It's not that difficult (didn't do it but have watched someone do it) and is probably the biggest mental hurdle but smallest physical hurdle of the install.

Quick Reply: Can I install the Vortech?