Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD

I just ordered my procharger.
I know turbo's have a bov and or a waste gate. What about for a procharger?
Thanx guys.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
SlvrOhTwoGeeTee
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD

Superchargers have bypass valves that re-circulate the air back into the intake track so that way your car doesnt lose track of the air already accounted for by the MAF. You can run a blow-off valve or vent your bypass valve into the atmospherre for that WOOOOOSH sound but you will need a flow-thru MAF and have things tuned a little differently.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

SlvrOhTwoGeeTee, you beautiful bastard! I was thinking about that exact thing earlier and wondering if I could do it. I now know I can. Can you go in more depth as to how I can set that up? I haven't bought my MAF for my Vortech yet, what do I need to do to get that sound you're talking about?

And to the OP, thanks for asking the question I didn't have the ***** to ask! (I thought it was a dumb question)
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
97tunedmustang
2nd Gear Member

you need a blow-through maf and have it tuned accordingly. mount bov atleast a foot behind the maf meter

so it goes.. supercharger---> bov---> maf ---> intake plenum
Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Fobra
Banned

yea too bad nobody knows how to tune it this way... and that fuel dump is bad for a stock motor

ive been down this road many times.. if you get to work right, let me know...

also the bov on s/c has been shown to decrease performance... anybody else get these results?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Can someone go in depth and explain how this works, or how it won't work too well? I would love to put that on my car and I'm almost willing to take a drop in performance to get it. I don't know, can someone educate me a bit more on the subject?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Oh come on now, someone must know more about this.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Blow off Valve 101:

When you let off gas and close throttle s/c is still making boost. That boost needs to go somewhere.

ByPassValve will dump it out and put it back into the system just IN FORNT of the s/c and after the MAF
it does this since the MAF has recorded that air, so it needs to stay in the system

Blow off Valve uses a blow thru MAF that is behind the s/c and reading boosted air.
Now you can put BOV behind s/c and in front of MAF and it blows off excess boosted air directly into
atmosphere before it has gone thru the MAF meter.

If your MAF is after your s/c you already have a blow thru.
If your MAF is before your s/c then you have to do what they say and get a blow thru MAF
for that swish pop-off sound
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
86onboost
2nd Gear Member

what if u have a carbed setup???
Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

Blow off Valve 101:

When you let off gas and close throttle s/c is still making boost. That boost needs to go somewhere.

ByPassValve will dump it out and put it back into the system just IN FORNT of the s/c and after the MAF
it does this since the MAF has recorded that air, so it needs to stay in the system

Blow off Valve uses a blow thru MAF that is behind the s/c and reading boosted air.
Now you can put BOV behind s/c and in front of MAF and it blows off excess boosted air directly into
atmosphere before it has gone thru the MAF meter.

If your MAF is after your s/c you already have a blow thru.
If your MAF is before your s/c then you have to do what they say and get a blow thru MAF
for that swish pop-off sound
Ok, I'm starting to get this now. I don't have the vortech in yet, so I have this option. Where exactly is the MAF on the stock engine? I'm pretty sure it's just before the Throttle Body, but I want to be sure. Also, will putting a BOV on this setup screw with my engine at all as other people have been saying? I don't know anyone that has it and it's hard to determine this without someone having done it.

Quick Reply: NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD