Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

procharger D1SC vs. KB 2.6l

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: procharger D1SC vs. KB 2.6l

ORIGINAL: only90s

Hey it is all Personal Preference...I just had to defend the Centris for 5.0s...but just because I dont like the KBs on 5.0s does not mean I dont respect their power and broad torque curve..

The goal for my next project is:

A03/04 Cobra motor with a KBin a Vert Fox with an auto for my wife.

..still finishing my current Fox-getting painted now!!! so the Vert Fox for my wife will have to wait a few years...
I can respect that comment. By the way I wasnt trying to bash Centros. I know there are guys
that have centros that kick a$$ and the same with roots type blowers. Those points I was making
was to tell the OP to pick whats right for him. Keep on researching until you find whats right for you.(to the OP)
Old 12-14-2007, 03:54 PM
kennebell92conv
4th Gear Member

i have a kb2.2on 5.0 running 9 psi and some more mods installed and run 11.9 1/4 not to bad for d drive on 9 psi of boost
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: only90s

ORIGINAL: mnile9127

This is a argument that will never end. Centros VS Twins
The questionsI asked myself when I was looking for a SC
was:
1. Do youwant a street beast or a trailer queen?
2. Do you want a torque monster or a dyno queen?
3. Do you want something unique? Or what everybody is using?
4. Do you want intercooled or non intercooled?
5. Do you want an easy install/disassembly?
6. Do you want a unmistakeable sound?

There was more but, you guys get the point. This season I'm going to ride around
with a camera in my car,so I can show you guys how a 5.0 KB kicks A$$.
1. Why would you have a trailer queen with a Centri??
2. My Vortech 5.0 has plenty of torque..so much that the tires break loose in any of the first three gears under 60mph
3.KB on a 5.0-Unique Yes....Ugly Yes
4.Both can be intercooled
5.Both are pretty easy to install
6.My V-1 sounds much better than the bearing grind I hear on the 5.0KBs that I have heard...

Again...KBs rock on the mod motors and they look killer too, but the units are too small and ugly on the 5.0s...but hey this is just one guys opinion
WHO WANTS THEIRMUSTANG TO LOOK CUTE!!!!???
I Know I dont. I wanted something beastly when you look under the hood.
F*ck Pretty or cute. But I must say an Intercooled Procharger does look sexxxy.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

As a centri owner I have always been amazed at the comments about when centri power hits. I can sit at the line and rev to 5k RPM and barely get the needle to read boost due to the obvious lack of resistance. I can also coast down the highway at 1800 RPM in 5th and stand on it and read 5psi off the bat. Regardless of when or where you make boost is not as important as how much torque you are transferring to the wheels when you need it.

I can drop my clutch at 4500 with the best setup in the world and guess what? It will bog like a mother and do me no good. If it didn't bog it's because I am putting on a smokeshow. The ability to drive is what will make the difference in any race, even centri vs. twin screw. I think the higher the horsepower the more important the driver is in the equation. A twin screw doesn't mean you can take 600 rwhp with an automatic and just point and step. So to those of you with no experience with centri's that think a certain RPM equals a certain boost level please stop as you are advertising your lack of experience. I chose a centri because I thought it would make my daily driver just that, daily driveable. While I loved the twin screws I was able to try out before making my purchase, it didn't seem like the best choice for my needs. However, if money were no object, I would have a KB Mustang. And a centri Stang, and a turbo Stang, etc.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 AM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kennebell92conv

i have a kb2.2on 5.0 running 9 psi and some more mods installed and run 11.9 1/4 not to bad for d drive on 9 psi of boost
Nice...there is a guy in NH that I know...motor is stock except for AFR 165s and 8lbs of boost from a ProCharger with Meth....he was running 11.8s at 119-121 at FFW in Epping this year..this is his DD during the nice months as well...

anyway to all the KB 5.0 guys..I was just bustin ***** anyway....any forced induction in my opinion Rocks
Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banned

because a centri car will win a race, even with (normally) 50 less hp.. an even power centri will run down and pass a twin screw, plus you dont have to shift as much (in a race setup) and its easier to hook up off the line... all equals a faster car, faster top end, easier hook up and your car doesnt drop below 3krpm when u shift anyway, the centri when shift is right in its power band 4500 rpm on up.. .the twinscrew is at the peak of its powerband around 4500... now I know some of the new ones have higher peak numbers, but by comparision to a centri pushing the same amount of boost, they get stomped.

However for a daily driver that is not a crazy setup, and loads of fun that is very reliable a twin screw is hard to beat
thats got to be the stupidest thing i have ever read![&:]

if both car's put lets say 15 psi.

the twin screw will get to 15 psi faster and stay there, where as the centri will have to wait to build boost to 15psi.

HOW THE HELL do you figure the centri will pass it if the twin is already there and stay's there more?

i sometimes wonder if you just talk out your *** and hope no one catch's it
Old 12-16-2007, 02:48 AM
01snake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

because a centri car will win a race, even with (normally) 50 less hp.. an even power centri will run down and pass a twin screw, plus you dont have to shift as much (in a race setup) and its easier to hook up off the line... all equals a faster car, faster top end, easier hook up and your car doesnt drop below 3krpm when u shift anyway, the centri when shift is right in its power band 4500 rpm on up.. .the twinscrew is at the peak of its powerband around 4500... now I know some of the new ones have higher peak numbers, but by comparision to a centri pushing the same amount of boost, they get stomped.

However for a daily driver that is not a crazy setup, and loads of fun that is very reliable a twin screw is hard to beat
Ok..You at least,somewhat,had my respect until that was said..now you loose all credibility.. ROFL.[sm=lol.gif] That's only going to happen if grandma is driving the KB car.

Even with my older 2.2L KBI have the dyno sheet to show that my power band does not peak at 4500rpm.... we let off the gas at 6300rpm's and it was still climbing..

Your facts on the KB's are obviously not from first hand experience.. You get teh "F"
thats funny because I rode in one last night... It is well known that equal power centri cars wil run down twin screws... all day long , you also forgot to finish highliting that sentence where I said the some of the newer ones do have a higher peak. However if youre gonna say that equal power the kb will out run the centri, you got another thing coming... the centri power band far exceeds a twin screw, esp on built motors that can take the extra rpm. Feel free to post your dyno sheet if youd like, there are also tons of videos on this subject (however we all know the internet is full-o-bs, and people just search random dyno sheets thinking it proves something)... Also most of the people I know prefer the 2.2 over the new models, i know i would
sorry bud but the one you rode in obviously knew how to drive and the centri dident.

just sit back and think what you are saying real quick
Old 12-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Fobra
Banned

ROFL [sm=laughat.gif]

01snake, your vast knowledge and real world experience is readily apparent! [sm=loser.gif]

.. and you could also bother to read the entire thread, before you bless us with your in depth analysis
Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Fobra
Banned

Well i decided to pull a,... well a you, but anyway apparently superchargers online and I are just both complete idiots and have no idea what we are talking about, there just no way we could have your level experience...

Screw Type Supercharging
Screw type superchargers are derived from the Roots type concept but with vast improvements for street use. Although from the out side, screw type superchargers may look a lot like Roots type superchargers, on the inside you will find a twin-screw design that compresses air unlike Roots type superchargers which pump the air into the motor. Screw type superchargers have an axial-flow design that compresses the air as it moves between the screws to create positive pressure without creating the heat that Roots type superchargers can create. The Screw type supercharger's ability to produce a dramatic increase of power from idle and through out the rest of the power curve make them a great choice for heavy vehicles, towing or commercial use.

Recommended Usage:
Street Use - Towing - Road Racing - Drag Racing

Positive Points:
1) Great Power at Low RPMs (Great for Towing)
3) Factory Fit & Appearance
4) Great Reliability

Negative Points:
1) The Power Doesn't Keep Climbing in the High RPMs (Power curve is very flat)
2) Challenging To Achieve High Boost Levels or CFMs
3) Lengthy installation times

Manufacturer Availability:
Kenne Belle - Whipple

This thread is about the difference between the two types of blowers (at least so i thought)... both have positives, both have negatives... actually bother to read the entire thread, we attempted to address a few, but like i said earlier having toexplain everything to a 3rd grade level gets really old... so good luck with it, and fire away, I wont be returning to argue with you... you know as much about this as you do nitrous
Old 12-16-2007, 12:05 PM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

Well i decided to pull a,... well a you, but anyway apparently superchargers online and I are just both complete idiots and have no idea what we are talking about, there just no way we could have your level experience...

Screw Type Supercharging
Screw type superchargers are derived from the Roots type concept but with vast improvements for street use. Although from the out side, screw type superchargers may look a lot like Roots type superchargers, on the inside you will find a twin-screw design that compresses air unlike Roots type superchargers which pump the air into the motor. Screw type superchargers have an axial-flow design that compresses the air as it moves between the screws to create positive pressure without creating the heat that Roots type superchargers can create. The Screw type supercharger's ability to produce a dramatic increase of power from idle and through out the rest of the power curve make them a great choice for heavy vehicles, towing or commercial use.

Recommended Usage:
Street Use - Towing - Road Racing - Drag Racing

Positive Points:
1) Great Power at Low RPMs (Great for Towing)
3) Factory Fit & Appearance
4) Great Reliability

Negative Points:
1) The Power Doesn't Keep Climbing in the High RPMs (Power curve is very flat)
2) Challenging To Achieve High Boost Levels or CFMs
3) Lengthy installation times

Manufacturer Availability:
Kenne Belle - Whipple

This thread is about the difference between the two types of blowers (at least so i thought)... both have positives, both have negatives... actually bother to read the entire thread, we attempted to address a few, but like i said earlier having toexplain everything to a 3rd grade level gets really old... so good luck with it, and fire away, I wont be returning to argue with you... you know as much about this as you do nitrous
Superchargers online is BS,
Their "Negative Points" are not accurate at all. How is it challenging to achieve high boost
and what is high to them (60PSI??) 20psi comesas soon as you go WOT and it stays there
until you let off the gas. As far as install, it took me 45 min to install my KB the first time.
Now it takes that long to remove and install. They're full of $hit.

Quick Reply: procharger D1SC vs. KB 2.6l