Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Help me pick my blower

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help me pick my blower

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse

What makes you unsure on the meth kit bighungry?
I have "heard" that meth inj after time eats away metal... don't know if its true or not, I also heard its hard to tune on, plus it would suck to run out of meth when you are in boost haha

Meth is corrosive to certain metal yes. Though when your using methanol injection, you use a 50/50 water/meth mix which dilutes the methane. Plus the small amount you spray into the combustion chambers at a time is harmless. It's actually be proven to be beneficial at keeping your valves and pistons clean and free of carbon build up.

As for tuning, that is the best part of meth injection! You can run so much more timing in your tune allowing you to make more power. Tuning on meth is much more forgiving to errors as well. Most meth kits are controlled by boost and only start to spray when a certain amount of boost is reached. If you are low on meth, most kits have a low level indicator and you just stay out of boost at that point. It's not that hard to make sure you stay full, check it when you fill up with gas, no biggy.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I never was bashing meth, I just was skeptical about it, I did read into it a little last year, but at that time wasn't too sure. I also remember reading that the meth evaporates from your reservoir... that was the main thing that scared me
(I live in Mississippi haha)
I do know the benefits to it. I almost went with it, but at the end decidedits notfor me.

Thanks for the input and clearing up the confusion
Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

LoL, it evaporates from your reservoir? Whens the last time you had a problem with your windshield washer fluid evaporating? Most washer fluid is 50/50 water/meth. I'm not trying to talk you into it, just giving you a heads up on some options. Good luck with your build and let us know what you decide to go with.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

My personal experience and reading would say Procharger, i think they can go up to like 32lbs of boost max. With the P1SC, mine leaks, i must have inherited the older one, but its not bad.
I would lean towards the Vortech secondly, i've heard nothing but good things minus tapping the oil pan (which i dont like the idea no matter how you slice it) plus to add an intercooler you should beat PC lbsfor lbs

But to add an option look into Rotrex at thier website. So far from what i've read sounds like a great option...but im still lookin into it for myself, from what i found(called around)so far the set up cost's under 3k.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: iraziel

My personal experience and reading would say Procharger, i think they can go up to like 32lbs of boost max. With the P1SC, mine leaks, i must have inherited the older one, but its not bad.
I would lean towards the Vortech secondly, i've heard nothing but good things minus tapping the oil pan (which i dont like the idea no matter how you slice it) plus to add an intercooler you should beat PC lbsfor lbs

But to add an option look into Rotrex at thier website. So far from what i've read sounds like a great option...but im still lookin into it for myself, from what i found(called around)so far the set up cost's under 3k.

I hope your not saying the p1-sc will hit 32 lbs... it will barely hit 15-16, but like you said... you have the leak. I think part of that is from the s/c nature itself and how much heat the unit holds in. Being self containd (s/c) is not a good thing, its meant to make people think.. "hey, i dont have to tap the oil pan" meaning it would some how be cheaper and easier. The only real advantage between have a self contained system has nothing to do with performance. The idea is tha if your motor craps out on you, metal particles wont be able to make their way into your supercharger, and vice versa. This is a valid point, however a rebuild is not very expensive, and prochargers leak, and need a rebuild anyway... so in theory it would be better, but in reality it doesnt seem to do any good. Prochargers however do have great track performance, either system will make you very happy. I go with vortech because their systems are just as high quality, if not better and are substantially cheaper... they also have better customer service from my understand, but that is only hear say, I do not know for sure
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

The website the bighungry showed me has the procharger for about 200 bucks more than the vortec on the other site. I kind of like the idea of the procharger being self-contained because the bottom end will be stock for about a year. I got the car last night and plan on putting it away, until its ready for surgery. So I really have to decide soon what I want to do. I have a guy in mind for the install but I don't know about him tuning it. I really want a custom dyno tune specifically for my application. Anybody know someone in the NJ area that has a good reputation for dyno tunes. I don't care if I have to go to NY or Pennsylvania for a tune, I just want it to be done right.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Sorry for the double post, but anybody have any experiance with Methanol injection. I have been looking into the snow kit since eclipse suggested meth. People in other threads claimed that meth and stock internals don't work to well together. I guess what I'm asking is, is the extra 300 bucks worth the extra power I'll see and the lower engine temps after the bottom end is forged? I plan on making this thing as bullit proof as possible but it seems like after I up the boost, and then add the meth injection I will be making more power than I want to try to handle.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Anyone that will try and steer you away from meth has never used meth. The stuff is simply awesome. I used it on my Eclipse for a sleeper look rather then a FMIC and the stuff was just amazing when it comes to cooling and tuning potential. Far better then anything you would get with a Air to Air cooler.

I actually got a snow kit here now that I am going to use with my vortech setup on my GT. Take apart a motor that has been using methanol injection and you will be amazed. If you have more questions on meth, contact Bob Kurgan at www.kurganmotorsports.com. The guy really knows his stuff when it comes to stangs on meth and will put you in the right direction.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Awsome thanks. Any suggestions on a goodtuning shop near jersey, anybody?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

Awsome thanks. Any suggestions on a goodtuning shop near jersey, anybody?
Contact Bob Kurgan for that too. He can hook you up with a awesome tune through the mail. I'm telling ya, give him a call, the guy's awesome.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my blower