Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbo or Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Charger?

turbos are nice to hear and have the great high end but the supercharger is better for the all round power...i would go twin turbo just because everyone else goes supercharger
Old 05-02-2005, 02:06 AM
fast plan
2nd Gear Member

i still perfer the whine of a supercharger
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DaGGer
turbos are nice to hear and have the great high end but the supercharger is better for the all round power...i would go twin turbo just because everyone else goes supercharger
What about the fact that turbochargers kill superchargers in high end power?
ORIGINAL: fast plan
i still perfer the whine of a supercharger
Prefer sound over power?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Someone give me a good reason why you should do turbos over a blower on a stock engine. With stock internals and stock cams, there is no good reson to do turbos over a blower. -And, the miniscule parasitic loss of a blower doesn't count as a good reason.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:45 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4
Someone give me a good reason why you should do turbos over a blower on a stock engine. With stock internals and stock cams, there is no good reson to do turbos over a blower. -And, the miniscule parasitic loss of a blower doesn't count as a good reason.
Turbochargers are more efficient. You'll get more power & better fuel economy than a supercharger would offer @ the same psi.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You might get slightly better fuel economy because of no parasitic loss, but the bottom line is your fuel economy is directly related to your boost guage. Fuel economy would be similar. More power per psi makes no difference with stock internals. You are still limited to a max rwhp # of, say, 450+. So if you run 10 psi with turbos vs. 11 psi with a blower to reach 450 rwhp, it is insignificant. With forged internals and cams it's a different story, and turbos certainly can outshine most blower set ups when big hp is concerned. And that's my whole point. For the cost and labor and lack of bottom end power vs., say, a procharger, it makes no sense to do turbos without upgrading your bottom end and cams. Stock internals and cams certainly favors a blower set up, hands down.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4
You might get slightly better fuel economy because of no parasitic loss, but the bottom line is your fuel economy is directly related to your boost guage. Fuel economy would be similar. More power per psi makes no difference with stock internals. You are still limited to a max rwhp # of, say, 450+. So if you run 10 psi with turbos vs. 11 psi with a blower to reach 450 rwhp, it is insignificant. With forged internals and cams it's a different story, and turbos certainly can outshine most blower set ups when big hp is concerned. And that's my whole point. For the cost and labor and lack of bottom end power vs., say, a procharger, it makes no sense to do turbos without upgrading your bottom end and cams. Stock internals and cams certainly favors a blower set up, hands down.
True, gas milage is linked to your boost guage & true some turbochargers do not like stock cams. The keyword here is some. Small turbochargers & a stock cam is a bad idea, however the bigger the turbo the better with a stock cam. Want proof? I can give you the email to the guy that taught me alot that I know & helped me get started with turbocharging & supercharging cars & you can ask him how he managed to pull off 780hp in his stock n/a cammed v6 powered car. This among other reasons is why I don't mess with small turbochargers. If I liked low end power then I would get a fixed displacement supercharger, but I like high end power. I like to keep good gas milage at low rpm & save the high rpm for racing. I can easily push my left foot down & pull my arm back if I feel the need for more power.

Turbochargers will not produce boost unless you make them produce boost. During regular driving in my TTPGT the boost went up to 2psi then dropped once I shifted (thats shifting @ 3000rpm), if I drove it like a grandma (shifting at 2000rpm) I saw no psi at all. Where your foot is decides what the boost is. I might have dropped a whole 1mpg, if that, when I twin turbocharged it. The average milage from a turbocharged engine is 95% of what it used to be.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Turbocharged

Correctly sized for the engine, twin turbos can make full boost at early as 2800 rpm vs superchargers like the Procharger, which only reaches full boost at peak rpm. On a stock block car, this can make a big difference in performance, and by limiting the total amount of boost with a boost controller, the turbos can provide the best of both worlds since the car drives like it was naturally aspirated until you put your foot in it. Another advantage of a turbo setup is the ability to change boost levels with a simple twist of a ****, vs changing belts and pulleys with a supercharger.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
2kConvMustang
2nd Gear Member

Well I would take either one, but if I had the money I would get the turbo( no disrespect to SC people). Like its stated before the turbocharger(s) don't tax the engine as much as the SC does, and yes the SC w/ a 10lb pulley is instant when you hit the gas its there but ball-baring turbo spool outrageously fast, or if you wanna boost faster thats what the twins are for two smaller turbos can be spooled faster with less exhaust gasses.

If thats not enough the turbo's boost can be controlled from in the car instantly, so no changing pulleys. But like I said in not in anyway knocking the SC.

IMO I think the whole SC vs. Turbocharger thing started because SC just seem so American and turbochargers seem like something the Japanese put on there cars(300zx,3000gt,rx-7,supras)
Old 05-04-2005, 12:21 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbocharged
Correctly sized for the engine, twin turbos can make full boost at early as 2800 rpm vs superchargers like the Procharger, which only reaches full boost at peak rpm. On a stock block car, this can make a big difference in performance, and by limiting the total amount of boost with a boost controller, the turbos can provide the best of both worlds since the car drives like it was naturally aspirated until you put your foot in it. Another advantage of a turbo setup is the ability to change boost levels with a simple twist of a ****, vs changing belts and pulleys with a supercharger.
I never changed my boost. I just set it at 12psi & left it. I see no reason to turn it down, it won't save you any money on gas...or car insurance. [8D] (sorry, had to throw that in there) Turning it down won't effect the boost when you are driving normally, people often think that it will. The only thing that **** is good for is if you decide you want to run racing fuel. I never did, so I left them alone after I got both the wastegates set.

ORIGINAL: 2kConvMustang
Well I would take either one, but if I had the money I would get the turbo( no disrespect to SC people). Like its stated before the turbocharger(s) don't tax the engine as much as the SC does, and yes the SC w/ a 10lb pulley is instant when you hit the gas its there but ball-baring turbo spool outrageously fast, or if you wanna boost faster thats what the twins are for two smaller turbos can be spooled faster with less exhaust gasses.

If thats not enough the turbo's boost can be controlled from in the car instantly, so no changing pulleys. But like I said in not in anyway knocking the SC.

IMO I think the whole SC vs. Turbocharger thing started because SC just seem so American and turbochargers seem like something the Japanese put on there cars(300zx,3000gt,rx-7,supras)
Another thing that really helps with a twin setup on a two bank engine is that you can phase the exhaust gasses almost perfect for a more constant flow & you can locate the tubochargers closer to the engine so you don't lose much heat. More heat = more air volume, more air volume = faster spool. Like I always said headers are one of the most important part of creating power in a turbo setup. This is the reason I don't like single setups. You have to run a crossover pipe which you will lose heat through, when it't red hot it will bend easily, & you have a long pipe in the engine bay to heat things up even more.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Charger?