Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger or turbo?

Believe me, I cant even get a discount. lolzBut they will help you out with deciding what u need.
I just figured Onefasteclipse you were a expert considering you had a sick eclipse, i just saw a 4g63 powered gokart on youtube, it is sick!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 PM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

haha I was just kiddin any way.

I just have so many questions bc I want to get the right thing....But since I have a cold air intake added already....will I have to take it out? or will it stay attached and the s/c or turbo go around it? Like what will I have to do in that situation?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Unless your going with a roots/twinscrew blower, you will more then likely have to remove your Cold air intake and replace it with one that will work with your supercharger/turbo.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

If you get a Kit, most of the time youll keep a coldair system but itll be different then yours, on a diy system you can make it the way you want. Not to familiar with s/c but i think most of them have their own cold air system. and dont worry about questions, thats what we're all here for man!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse
That's a good find. The information is mostly correct. With the few exceptions in bold. First, take the time and look at the hot side of a Turbo. Look at that puny *** little hole that you have to flow all your exhaust through to spin up that turbo. They're telling you that restriction in your exhaust is eating up only 5hp? HaHa rigggghhhttt..... I don't know exactly how much your loosing from the exhaust restriction of a turbo but it sure as hell isn't only 5hp. Hell, just replacing a 2" exhaust (larger then the inner most part of a turbo) on many cars with a larger better flowing version as released 20 or more HP. I'm not going to argue that a Supercharger eats up more power then a Turbo because yes that is true, but to say a turbo only takes 5hp to run is just silly and incorrect.

As for the intercooler debate, Superchargers aren't exactly in as bad of shape as a Turbo when it comes to need of cooling. You don't have hot exhaust air heating up the compressor of a Supercharger so the discharge temps are generally cooler then a Turbo's. You still have a temperature increase due to compressing the air but you can still run a Supercharger at 10-12psi (even higher with some more efficient units) without a intercooler and still make some good power. The main reason why people are adding different cooling methods to their Superchargers is because of the added power it produces, not because of the necessity to do so. It's just like modifying anything else in your car. Do you need to add Heads and a Cam to your setup to run a Turbocharger? No, but you'll make more power doing so.
x2 ^^

That article sounds like the person was very turbo biased. The turbo setup has it's downfalls aswell.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

if you bracket drag race youd realy want a twin screw for consistancy
My car is a bracket racer with a turbo. Only been run off the pump gas 11 lb street tune and only been to the track 3 times since major rebuild. We're getting used to the transbrake. Tonight will be the first time it will run off race tunes (16 lbs and maybe 20 lbs). With Lance at the wheel, hehas made6 passes in a row all within 2/10s.

Some short video showing transbrake launches.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=npr040908b.flv
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=11-05.flv