Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger or turbo?

Well I was looking at the Kenne Bell Superchargers just alittle bit ago and they look pretty nice and I have heard alot about them. I live in MD so the climate is different, on and off hot and cold, but I want more power and a nice sound to it also.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

KB has a very unique sound to it. It's more or less silent during normal driving and idle but gets quite loud at full throttle. Vortech or other centri's make their noise at idle and lower rpms and get quiet at full throttle. I reccomend listening to the different sounds on youtube to see which one you like since they are very different. As far as power, a KB will give you a nice power and torque curve but will sacrifice peak power to a centri blower. Here are some links to listen to both.

Kenny bell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87n8jhVO784

Vortech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ju5r...eature=related & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8FXH...eature=related

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse

It's nothing to do with the reliability of the actual turbo compressor itself. In terms of compressor reliability, a turbo can easily see 100,000+ miles without even a hiccup as long as it is properly maintained. The things to watch when turbocharging your mustang are mainly if you see drastic changes in your local climate. Up here in Ohio, it is very easy in the summer for it to be 90 degrees one day, and 65 degrees the next. Drastic changes in temperature can cause drastic changes in your turbos performance. It can create boost spike or even boost creep(usually that is due to other things) which could be detrimental to your engine. There are ways to tune around it but that means you have to be overly conservative with your tune and not see your maximum potential, unless you have a way to watch your a/f ratio and modify your tune each day.

Both superchargers and turbos have their ups and downs. It's all a matter of how you want to play and sound. Either one will make you fast as hell, both sound and operate very different.
exactly, spikes and inconsistancy are the reason a turbo is not like a supercharger... hence so many blown 4.6 motors with turbos, keep it conservative, 350 or so rwhp... youll still have 450 torque so youll be ok
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

The things to watch when turbocharging your mustang are mainly if you see drastic changes in your local climate. Up here in Ohio, it is very easy in the summer for it to be 90 degrees one day, and 65 degrees the next. Drastic changes in temperature can cause drastic changes in your turbos performance. It can create boost spike or even boost creep(usually that is due to other things) which could be detrimental to your engine. There are ways to tune around it but that means you have to be overly conservative with your tune and not see your maximum potential, unless you have a way to watch your a/f ratio and modify your tune each day.
Sounds like a bad tune or something was wrong with the wastegate, whether it was the port, vac line, spring, or diaphram (or boost controller if equipped). Sounds like something was wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

The things to watch when turbocharging your mustang are mainly if you see drastic changes in your local climate. Up here in Ohio, it is very easy in the summer for it to be 90 degrees one day, and 65 degrees the next. Drastic changes in temperature can cause drastic changes in your turbos performance. It can create boost spike or even boost creep(usually that is due to other things) which could be detrimental to your engine. There are ways to tune around it but that means you have to be overly conservative with your tune and not see your maximum potential, unless you have a way to watch your a/f ratio and modify your tune each day.
Sounds like a bad tune or something was wrong with the wastegate, whether it was the port, vac line, spring, or diaphram (or boost controller if equipped). Sounds like something was wrong.
Nothing was wrong. I wasn't speaking of one specific car. I was speaking of turbo's in general. It's the way the system works. A turbo will spin up alot more boost on a cooler day then a hot one.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

now when you said it will sacrifice peak power to a centri blower...what do u mean by that?

KB has a very unique sound to it. It's more or less silent during normal driving and idle but gets quite loud at full throttle. Vortech or other centri's make their noise at idle and lower rpms and get quiet at full throttle. I reccomend listening to the different sounds on youtube to see which one you like since they are very different. As far as power, a KB will give you a nice power and torque curve but will sacrifice peak power to a centri blower. Here are some links to listen to both.

Kenny bell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87n8jhVO784

Vortech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ju5r...eature=related & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8FXH...eature=related

Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Nothing was wrong. I wasn't speaking of one specific car. I was speaking of turbo's in general. It's the way the system works. A turbo will spin up alot more boost on a cooler day then a hot one.
true, but that's what the wastegate is for. On a cooler day the air is more dense so it can pack more in but your wastegate should be reading it from inside the intake so for more air it would open the wastegate up more to keep the pressure steady. You have to keep in mind though if you're referring to stock turbo setups they generally aren't built very well from the factory & are prone to things like that. I'm talking about aftermarket kits (unless the company making the kits isn't very good at building them)
ORIGINAL: snowboard49dude
now when you said it will sacrifice peak power to a centri blower...what do u mean by that?
centrifugal superchargers are more efficient on high end than twin screw or roots.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

true, but that's what the wastegate is for. On a cooler day the air is more dense so it can pack more in but your wastegate should be reading it from inside the intake so for more air it would open the wastegate up more to keep the pressure steady. You have to keep in mind though if you're referring to stock turbo setups they generally aren't built very well from the factory & are prone to things like that. I'm talking about aftermarket kits (unless the company making the kits isn't very good at building them)
The hot side of the turbo has little to do with a boost spike. On a cooler day, a turbo can pull in more air per revolution as well as spin up even faster causing a change in the power curve. Any change in when your car is making power plays hell on your tune. The wastegate problem your thinking of would be more do to boost creep, which I said in my original post is usually due to other things, though it can be caused by changes in weather as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
snowboard49dude
1st Gear Member

Now in all honesty which one would u guys choose? a supercharger or a turbo
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Your going to get a mixed response on that. Personally I went Supercharger. They tend to be cheaper, easier to install, easier to maintain, easier to tune, overall more user/everyday driver friendly. Turbo's clearly have the ability to produce more power then a supercharger but it does not come without it's downfalls.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo?