Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Blower and Octane again

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:09 AM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

Default Blower and Octane again

I think this got deleted with the recent site issue.

For those of you who have blowers, i have heard/read that you have to use only 93 octane when blowing? Is this true? Have you or do you run reg 87 octane? If you tried switching back and forth, what have you found to be the major differences? Pros/cons? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Blower and Octane again

Yes its true, I only use 93 octane now that I put my blower on. I never tried switching back.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

&lt\\;P&gt\\;WTF is wrong with this site?&lt\\;/P&gt\\;
Old 06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Yes use the highest grade fuel in your area and don’t buy it from a no name place as gas is not created equal.&amp\\;nbsp\\;
Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Never ever ever ever ever run any thing less then 91, 93 and up would be best though.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

wow that sucks! thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

So being dumb to this, why do you need to run 91+? Is it just simply the amount of fuel/air mix needs a higher octane than 87 since you are compressing more air? I though the MAF, injectors, and chip would make up for that? Kinda confused.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
bryan0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CHIC

So being dumb to this, why do you need to run 91+? Is it just simply the amount of fuel/air mix needs a higher octane than 87 since you are compressing more air? I though the MAF, injectors, and chip would make up for that? Kinda confused.
Because the computer tune you have or will have will advance your ignition timing and require you run 91+. If you run less than91, you run a high risk of detonating. If you detonate on one of these engines good enough, there's a good chance you can damage your engine pretty bad. Spend the extra $0.20 a gallon, it's only like 4% more money than regular with the price of gas today.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Cough up the extra 3 bucks on the fill-up and save yourself thousands that you would spend to replace your bottom end. If you really wanted to I guess you could go spend a few hundred and have your tuner write you an 87 octane tune that had like 0 degrees of timing and won't make any power. But it wouldn't save you any money cause you'll have to pay for the tune and it would completely defeat the purpose of having a blower.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 AM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

I am not worried about spending the extra 3 bucks for gas. I already figured that out a while ago. Thanks for the concern. I wanted to know the actual reasons why you need to run a higher octane. Appreciate the explanations.....thanks.....but the question wasn't about your opinions on my funding situation. Sorry if I come off a bit bitchy about it, but I get tired of reading posts and replies where everyone just automatically assumes stuff based on questions asked. I thought this forum was to help people learn about how their vehicles run and operate and get some advice from others who have done it before. Thanks again for clarifying the reasons for the higer octane.

Quick Reply: Blower and Octane again