Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Zex - need picture of install on S197

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM
JimC

Default Zex - need picture of install on S197

I'm in the process of installing my Zex nitrous kit and the instructions say

[align=left]"Locate the four wires that go to the throttle position sensor. The wires are located on the[/align][align=left]passenger side of the engine’s throttle body assembly. Using the supplied red T-tap[/align][align=left]connector, tap into the YELLOW wire. Attach the red crimp-on blade connector to one end[/align][align=left]of the white TPS Resistor Wire and plug it into the T-tap connector. Attach the other end of[/align][align=left]the TPS Resistor Wire to the white wire from the nitrous management unit. If the white[/align][align=left]wire from the NMU is not long enough to reach the TPS Resistor Wire, an extra length of[/align]white wire has been included in the kit."

I don't have the TPS Resistor Wire as far as I can see, just a short white wire coming off my NMU. Can someone post a picture of the wire connecting the NMU and the yellow wire on the throttle body? It appears that I am missing a part and the instructions don't have a picture to tell me what it is.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Zex - need picture of install on S197

try this jim, here is the pdf file for '95+ cars NOS kit

better pics.. i think what you want is about pgs 13-15, but zex manuals are usually really generic

NOS gives good reference pics

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R10382-1.pdf

post up if it helps, when you gonna take it to the track to try it out ??? your gonna love it
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Jim...ZEX added a resistor wire to their later S197 kits because some people were getting engine check lights. Your kit is probably the older version that didn't offer the resistor wire yet. I don't have it either and haven't had any CEL issues that I can tie to the kit.

I will note justy in case that I did get a wrench light and TPS related code about 6 weeks after installing the kit. It even went into limp mode for a while and I thought I was going to need a new TPS, or disconnect the nitrous. After two short lived incidents in about 24 hours it hasn't retuned since clearing the code & draining power. That was about a month or so ago and so far I have no reason to suspect the nitrous kit snce: a) there is a TSB reagding the TPS with the related codes I got, and b) I don't beleive there an actual performance issue with the non-resitor set ups other than a warning light.
Hope you're already spraying by the time you read this!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
JimC

Thanks for the information and the links. I spoke to a couple of other friends and they didn't have the resistor either.
Since I got the Mustang back on Friday night, and have knee surgeryin the morning, I decided I really needed to get this Zex kit installed and tested this weekend. Finished it up in between my wife asking me to go look at some houses with her (she keeps thinking about remodeling, and then about getting a place on either the river or the lake - we'll see).

Got everything on, tested, and no leaks and the electrical connections all work. I don't have the window switch on yet, still trying to figure out where and how to even mount the big MSD unit, but the Zex had to learn wide open throttle before putting the window switch on anyway. I figure if I can't get it done by July 29, Lidio should be able to still tune the car and I can put the window switch in afterwards. I also need to finish up the blow down tube yet.

The Speed of Sound cup holder switch plate looks great, but the wiring keeps pushing it up and I haven't been able to resolve that yet. I can't get my hand under it to push the wiring back through the hole I drilled as I putthe panelin place. I also noticed that the arming button wiring is not on the key so I have to be sure I don't accidentally turn it on or leave it on when I go to the track. If I don't have the arm switch activated, the Zex nitrous management unit doesn't light up so I don't believe it is drawing any power. The SOS cup holder switch kit has 2 more buttons for my future use - the bottle heater on one and the line locks on the other.

Put the purge line so it looks like the Pony is snorting when I hit the purge

I also discovered that I am the third owner apparently of this C&L intake, there were two other spots where it looks like a nitrous nozzle had been installed.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
JimC

You can see how big the MSD window switch is in this picture. Too wide and long to simply screw in to one of the shock towers so I don't know yet how and where I am going to mount it, the Zex window switch looks to be a little more compact.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
JimC

Bob - getting the Mustang tuned by Lidio for the nitrous on July 29. Assuming I get the MSD window switch done by that weekend I plan to hit Lapeer and try the new kit out. I can't get there this coming weekend, having knee surgery in the morning and can't drive for several days and then my wife has plans for the weekend as long as there are no complications from the surgery.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Alright, looks like you are ready to go. I don't care for the nozzle placement though. It looks like it is spraying right at the elbow. I like it pointed straight at the throttle body so it can't puddle up in the elbow.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i say wire the window switch all the way back to your center console so you can have direct access to it if need be...that's where i'll be mounting mine. my zex kit comes in tomorrow
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

haha... i wanna see it purge. get a pic or vid for sure

Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
JimC

I have a video from relieving the pressure when I tested the system so it doesn't have a long plume, and there is a weird high pitched squeal in the video so I'll get another one sometime this week - once my knee heals enough that I can get around (had partial medial meniscus surgery this morning on the left knee

Quick Reply: Zex - need picture of install on S197