Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

I am still learning, IAT, pulley, and MAf Questions

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
dkaar
1st Gear Member

Default I am still learning, IAT, pulley, and MAf Questions

I have been studying up on the Vortech Supercharger info and am trying to figure out something. I have read the IAT is built into the MAF on the Mustangs and that you need to get an external IAT when putting on the Vortech. My01 Saleen has a BBK intake on it with a 6 pin plug on the MAF (though only the middle 4 wires are there) and a 2 pin plug hooked up to an external IAT sensor next to it. Question is, do I need to put a different IAT in, extend the existing one, or am I good with what I have when putting on a Vortech?

Next on to the MAF. How big is the stock MAF and what is the real world difference in spending $100 on a lightning one, or do I have to go with the lightning one no matter what?

Since I have an 01 Saleen, do I have to replace the Saleen pullies with the stock GT ones to get the Vortech setup to work or can I leave whats on there and get a different size belt? If I can get a different size belt, anyone know what that would be?

Are the NGK TR6 plugs the way to go and what is the correct gapping of them?

Thank you
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
trublmaker
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I am still learning, IAT, pulley, and MAf Questions

I think that the IAT is only in the MAF on the 03/04,if you are going s/c then you pretty much need to get a bigger maf because the stock one will peg at a certain air flow(wich is usially less or right at what an s/c engine will use) I have the 90mm lightning on mine with a vortech V2SQ and I think it works good(after it was tuned), the ngk tr6 plugs seem to be the way to go, Iuse the tr6ix, they were recommended by my tuner and are gapped at.032, if your pulley's are underdrive pulley's then yes you will have to change to the stock size pulley's-crank,water pump,and alternator or you wont make very much boost at all
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM
dkaar
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply...Why couldn't I leave the underdrive pulleys on, which in turn spins the supercharger slower, and put a smaller pulley on the supercharger to get it back to a stock speed?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
dkaar
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I called Vortech and they said I should be at about 6psi with the underdrive pulleys and a stock 3.60" pulley. He suggested going down a 3.48" pulley and that would be a 1.5 - 2.0 psi gain putting me at 7.5 - 8.0 psi. I told him I was planning on getting a power pipe and that should be another 1 psi. He didn't suggest going down to a 3.4" on a stock motor. He thought I would be over 10 psi with that size. Any comments on Vortech's thoughts about this?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

IF you run more that 10 psi you would have to upgrade to a larger maf like 90mm lightning and a fuel pump. I upgraded to a 90 mm maf but only a certain year lightning maf used a 6 pin plug and that type maf wasn't in my mechanic'sinventory.My 03 uses a 6 pin connection.I had to buy a intake air temp. sensor and mount it on the intake tube.