Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Help with a Turbo Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
nickel417
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with a Turbo Set-up

I am wanting to custom build me a Turbo set-up. I am eventually shooting for 500 rwhp. Right now I am going to be on stock internals so will be running low boost(~6psi) for a while. What all turbo components would fit my needs the best?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Fobra
Banned

that is so broad... you need to learn a little bit more for yourself for us to be more helpful
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
nickel417
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
that is so broad... you need to learn a little bit more for yourself for us to be more helpful
What more do you need?

-I want a street set-up
-Spool in the mid-range
-I will be running a air-to-air FMIC. What size to get?
-Turbo will be placed in front of the engine

What else?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
nickel417
2nd Gear Member

anyone ???
Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Fobra
Banned

well your going to need all the parts that any turbo system would require... if your looking for like a base line idea then... for your goals I think probably a single 57mm-67mm turbo would work nicely. Obviously a 3 core cooler, biggest you can make fit. Youll want to make boost by 3k rpm. So for a 57mm youd probably be looking for a compressor a/r of .96-.118 or for a 67mm something like .87.-.96 - thats all guesstamate should have you close to full boost by 3k-3500 rpm and max potential at around 575rwhp-650rwhp respectively. Youll want to go with quality on your bov and wastegate choices, and youll want to keep the boost to around 4-6lbs on a stock motor (375rwhp) imo. Youll want to ditch the flow masters for non-chambered muff, youll probaly want to buy some shorty headers and flip them for your manifolds and run 3" steel piping. I dont know what else to tell you unless u ask something more specific
Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 PM
nickel417
2nd Gear Member

-what are some quality BOV and wastegates? What sizes?

-How loud would an open downpipe be?

-Good turbo brands?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Fobra
Banned

Tial is very popular, as far as turbos go there are alot of good brands... i like the ball bearing turbos... Im trying to get my friend at frieghtliner to educate me on a way to make a variable geometry turbo work
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

How loud the exhaust is depends on the turbine trim & a/r. Turbo's do a fairly good job of making it quieter.

The flipping shorty headers is a trick for the 5.0 heads, not the 4.6.

Core count on the intercooler will depend on the cores initial size. I have a single core intercooler that will cool alot better than what most people run, but the core is quite big. I would say run the biggest height & width you can get away with, but keep core thickness to 3" or less. If you want to get into detail with core design I could help give you an idea, most people would just prefer to buy one.

I personally prefer garrett's T series journal bearings because of the upgrades & ease of rebuild (considering the turbo failure rates). For reliability I would recommend journal, for performance I would say bb.

I agree with the wastegate being quality. As for the bypass/bov you have alot to choose from, quality isn't as high of a concern with it because of the simplicity & it not being exposed to high temps. I've pushed a $5 1st gen dsm bov that I modified further than quite a few aftermarket valves can do.

As for size if you're looking to size it right you need to know what you're going to be working with. Are you running a stock engine with it or modified? Compressor a/r is for fine tuning pressure ratios, I wouldn't recommend anywhere near a .96 - 1.18 a/r on the compressor.

As for the vgt turbo, if you're going to be fitting it on a gasoline engine, steer away from the vgt's that use pivoting vanes; instead look into the ones that slide in & out. They're far more durable, but the same problem still is there. They're designed to run on an engine that has far lower egt's. Some of the newer holsets did however use sliding vanes & if i'm not mistaken a titanium turbine, but they're electronic wastegates. It may or may not work with the higher heat of gasoline engines, but it would be a decent start. You can control the boost using a boost controlled pwm, there are a few standalones that might be adequate for this.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Fobra
Banned

The a/r is going to depend on goals and size that he uses... if youre not going to forge and upgrade later than he is right about not going upwards of a .96 - just with a smaller turbo like a 47-57mm single i thought you might want some growing room, but with an after market K flipping the shorties is possible - not all brands though

Last edited by Fobra; 10-08-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Fobra
Banned

yeah I was talking to him again yesterday and apparently the vanes are controlled by vaccum and not electronically - still looking into, we also have to compare maps and see just what benefit would be had, he has a 128mm's all over the place, but i need to know what the varibale geometry will actually do for one that large... i.e. will it make it behave like a 60mm or a 80mm or a 100mm... we have no clue yet

Quick Reply: Help with a Turbo Set-up