Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Allen Engine (Eaton super

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Chewpa

Default Allen Engine (Eaton super

http://www.allenengine.com/blowerpge.html</P>

I have been thinking of installing this supercharger 6psi kit. Ive read a few forums and have gotten some very good feedback from those that have installed these. Its a Eaton MS90roots style blower, intercooled, and complete with all hardware. Ive read about all the popular names such as Vortech etc butdoes anyone know of anyone that has installed this particular blower? From what I hear its a pain in the *** install, but so far from my own research it has been a safe way to get added hp/torque w/o tearing into the block. Ive contacted a few distributers and although they admit it isnt the "top of the line" hp/torque gains, they have ALL said its a very safe and RELIABLE bolt on performer and recommend it over the rest for stock engines.</P>

I admit im not a professional driver for a drag strip but ive had my *** handed to me by a 2001 Z28, RX7 twin turbo, and most embarrassing a fuggin Civic (musta had nos cause he ripped past me like I shifted into hard reverse). Yes ive had some wins but im trying to catch up to the late model Z28's. Would appreciate some feedback on my choice for a supercharger.</P>
Old 11-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

eatons can be found on the new cobras...so if you're doubting the name, rest easy.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:03 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Any supercharger can tear up a stock motor. Its important to get a good tune. And yes the allen supercharger is a pain in the a** to install. For the money, and performance the kenne bell is probably the best s/c on the market for the 6-11psi range and is more efficient than a roots stle supercharger. Also, i dont care to much for the appearance of the allen engine s/c under the hood. You can run the 6 psi kenne bell without an intercooler and gain at the minimun 100RWHP. The price is $3599.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Chewpa

Ok I read the basic information provided at the Kenne Bell website regarding the superchargers. The results from their testslooks staggering to say the least. Looking at your signature sir, seems you are running the 7psi s/c. How does the stock 4.6l 2v engine hold up to superchargers? I seen alot of test data done on the Cobra due to it being engineered to handle boosted power. Besides the 4v obvious differences in the Cobras vs the GT's what other "interals" do the Cobra's have to handle higher lvls of boost? My next question would be...is the GT properly equipped for such a bolt on even at a 6-7psi added boost? If i have to dig into the block to change out pistons for a safe boost then I would like to know this. I would quite upset if my engine blew after installing $4k worth of "performance" bolt-on only to find out that i needed to change some internals.</P>

I would like to do the job "right" the first time so there is no second guessing. I know it's easier to just go out and buy a new Cobra but there's more fun in doing it yourself. Im having a difficult time finding out the intricate details on what internals I have, what I should upgrade to, where to get the parts to lay the foundation for any bolt-on performance to install. Would be nice to hear that my 2002 GT is "properly" equipped to handle aftermarket superchargers up "psi etc. Cobra owners seem to get a nice deal in this area. What do we get as GT owners? A ticking time bomb if we open it to full throttle because we have hypereuctic pistons?</P>
Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

I chose to run a conservative amount of boost to stay at or under 400RWHP. Im currently at 385RWHP with a conservative tune. A stock motor should be able to handle 400RWHP but there is no absolute guarantee. Thats why its important to get a good tune and the kenne bell guys are pretty good at putting the proper tune on the chips the provide with their kits. If youre planning to run only 6-7psi im pretty confident your motor will hold up provided your're not making a lot of pulls at the track on a regular basis. As far as the internal go, forged rods and pistons(get lower compression pistons.Get a forged crank if you are looking to go toward the 500RWHP range. Simply put, speed costs and at some point(hopefully later rather than sooner) you'll have to shell out some money. The best rule to the game is be prepared for whatever. Start putting some money aside for a good shortblock. In the meantime I beat my first 03 cobra and it was hilarious to see the look on the guys face who was driving it. He followed me to my house and asked me what the hell just happened. I told him I had just bought a new cold air intake and he actually believed it! Im looking for a Z06 vette to se really see where im at.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:11 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I'd agree on the 6-7 psi you should be good to go..as I looked at the graph the hp number didn't grab me...not much gain til 4000 rpm...Eaton has been around many years some of the t'birds had them and got 100k miles out of them. you should be able to get into a nice S/C for around 3k but with 6 psi your looking at about 65-90 hp..a pair of nice heads and some 4:10 with get you near were you want to be..
with your big gain @ 4k will still have you behind on some of those cars. 4:10 is not the gear though if going with an S/C ..with a good set of alum heads o-ring you could pull boost to around 8-9 psi with a 10 psi blow off valve
Old 11-03-2003, 10:55 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Kenne Bell will produce 100RWHP at 6psi boost. As far as the graph 6psi isnt too shabby on the kenne bell. Its making stock hp levels at around 3300RPM. I could be wrong but it takes about 9-10psi intercooled boost on a centrifugal s/c to see stock hp @3300RPM and the Kenne Bell graph is almost diagonal. That grabs me! Im not knocking eaton either but its a fact that a twin-screw type s/c will outperform a roots type s/c.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Chewpa

After talking with a Kenne Bell rep, I am taking a keen interest in their s/c'rs. They custom their chips and guarantee customer satisfaction. The installation seems to be a bit less of a pain as well over the Eaton system. I like their write-up about CAI vs Hot air intake systems...they stuff their gigantic conical filters in the fenderwell where it belongs to get COLD AIR! After installing my headers, it may be that im just adjusting to new sounds but...I could almost swear I hear my intake sucking HARD for more air! Anyone else ever notice this? It's making me want to install a CAI (a real cold air system) to feed it. Anyway, I plan to install a s/c'r in the next month or so.</P>
Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
InMyRearView
1st Gear Member

Ive been very pleased even though ive never owned any other type of s/c. The eaton isnt too difficult to install but I think its a little more involved.