Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

prep for a twin turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: prep for a twin turbo?

ORIGINAL: firemedix911
blower bro. You'll have to practically build a new engine to boost the power worthy of a turbo. For 100hp i'l agree with the poeple her. Blower.
He won't have to build a new engine for a turbo. The turbo would even produce quite a bit more power than the supercharger if they were both at the same psi & he would be getting better fuel economy.(always a plus)
ORIGINAL: bizarre660
yea im still kinda new with all of this. i had no idea that 100 hps was a joke to a twin turbo. how much do most people get out of the turbos? and now that you got me thinking about this blower, where do you find stuff like that? thanks
100hp will only be a joke on certain engines. The more modified the engine, the easier it is to gain 100 additional hp from boost. The same applies for the supercharger. For example on a 50hp n/a engine, getting it to 150hp with just boost isn't going to be an easy task, however getting a 900hp n/a engine to 1000hp with just boost is going to be very easy.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: FoxGT
He won't have to build a new engine for a turbo. The turbo would even produce quite a bit more power than the supercharger if they were both at the same psi & he would be getting better fuel economy.(always a plus)

well.. as far as fuel economy goes, that depends on the blower. i have a centrifigul blower and i get just as much mileage as before i had the blower.... if i don't romp on it that is, which you can agree with me, is hard to do. they're much like turbos with the "lag" associated with them. i don't make any boost until i hit 3000rpm. get a twinscrew/roots blower and kiss your mileage goodbye.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 AM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

What I meant was that it isn't worhty the money for a TT for the amount of bust he's gonna be able to run on the stock engine. Blower VS TT price wise for 100HP? I'll take the blower. Now if he wants crazy power and has the money to fix up the engine so he can boost what is worth a TT then go for it. There is nothing naicier that the sound of the turbo and I think most people know the amount of power they can put down.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:02 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

What I meant was that it isn't worhty the money for a TT for the amount of bust he's gonna be able to run on the stock engine. Blower VS TT price wise for 100HP? I'll take the blower. Now if he wants crazy power and has the money to fix up the engine so he can boost what is worth a TT then go for it. There is nothing naicier that the sound of the turbo and I think most people know the amount of power they can put down.
That was also my line of thinking, for a small gain like 100hp a blower is a better value, and alot easier to intall.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: JD1969

That was also my line of thinking, for a small gain like 100hp a blower is a better value, and alot easier to intall.
exactly. that was basically my first post. not as long though. 100HP, even up to 200HP you should just get a blower. save yourself some money. i have a vortech kit on and i made about 115RWHP from it and the cost was a fraction of what a turbo kit + install would have cost me. a vortech or procharger or something would be good too if he wants to save on gas mileage.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki
ORIGINAL: FoxGT
well.. as far as fuel economy goes, that depends on the blower. i have a centrifigul blower and i get just as much mileage as before i had the blower.... if i don't romp on it that is, which you can agree with me, is hard to do. they're much like turbos with the "lag" associated with them. i don't make any boost until i hit 3000rpm. get a twinscrew/roots blower and kiss your mileage goodbye.
lol, yes I know what you are speaking of. I wasn't really directing the milage quote for the centrifugals, I really like the centrifugal superchargers. I was directing that toward the roots & twin-screw.
True, true, true... As far as price goes a single setup is like a supercharger kit with a full exhaust system.

I'm not disagreeing with you guys about him getting the supercharger. I think it would be better for him if he just wants to achieve 100hp. Much cheaper route. I'm just stating the facts.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:22 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

well...i finally finished my turbo project on my 5.0 (not tuned yet) and i'm gonna have to say if you're not willing to work at it, just go supercharged...otherwise, the turbo is a much more unique approach (and much much much more indepth.) i just like it because not too many people around here have a turbo mustang. and btw, FoxGT, i decided to go with the T66 like you said...haven't gotten it tuned yet so i haven't pushed it, but so far so good...so thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 10:10 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveOhNo
well...i finally finished my turbo project on my 5.0 (not tuned yet) and i'm gonna have to say if you're not willing to work at it, just go supercharged...otherwise, the turbo is a much more unique approach (and much much much more indepth.) i just like it because not too many people around here have a turbo mustang. and btw, FoxGT, i decided to go with the T66 like you said...haven't gotten it tuned yet so i haven't pushed it, but so far so good...so thanks
[sm=smiley20.gif] Running an FMU, or FPR, or both?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:00 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

aight well this post has been really helpful with changinf my ideas and getting more to know about the power of the TT. but cars is all i pay money on, well school and my gf to but mostly the car. so really to get the serious power what mroe do i need then the kit which goes for like 7200$$? and how much maintenance and precautions am i going to have to keep track of? thanks guys
Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM
FiveOhNo
3rd Gear Member

i've got the same setup i told the other guy on here to use...255 intank, t-rex, and kirban fpr. i used 42lb injectors too...i just can't wait to get the thing tuned...[:@]

Quick Reply: prep for a twin turbo?