Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

v6 exhaust Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

Default v6 exhaust Q

i have a 99 v6 and the magnaflow cat back. it sounds great at Wide Open Throttle but under 2k rpms it is quite. what do you think about taking off my catback and running from headers --> cats --> turn down tips before the crossover in the y pipe?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: v6 exhaust Q

You need to get rid of the stock mid pipe. A correctly dumped system on a Mustang should throw the exhaust out just before the rear axle. Id say keep your catback and run an O/R midpipe if its allowed in your area. If not then try a High Flow midpipe.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 AM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

i have a v6, so if i ran an o/r mid pipe id need a new cat back or highly modify (no offroad y pipes out there). plus i want to remain catted b/c i hate the uncatted smell and i want to be legal if i travel

i could get a muff shop to fabricate from right before the Y of the ypipe with turn down tips there (no muffs that way) OR i could get a muff shop to put in 15" of straight 2.5" piping to go where my 14" long muffs are now?

it would be cheaper to turn down tips before the y, but it would look better to straight pipe the muffs IMO. what do you think?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AtlanticBlue99

i have a v6, so if i ran an o/r mid pipe id need a new cat back or highly modify (no offroad y pipes out there). plus i want to remain catted b/c i hate the uncatted smell and i want to be legal if i travel

i could get a muff shop to fabricate from right before the Y of the ypipe with turn down tips there (no muffs that way) OR i could get a muff shop to put in 15" of straight 2.5" piping to go where my 14" long muffs are now?

it would be cheaper to turn down tips before the y, but it would look better to straight pipe the muffs IMO. what do you think?
In your original post you stated that you wanted to run a dumped or "turn down tips" in the exhaust system to make it louder. If you run a dumped exhaust your going to have to get rid of the catback anyway because the exhaust system will stop before the rear axle. I stand by my original statement. Since you want cats you should buy a High-flow catted midpipe. You could take it to a muffler shop and they could take the existing mufflers you have from the current catback and install them in a dump setup in conjunction with the new mid-pipe. It sounds like your thinking about running straight pipes on a V6? You can do it but it might sound like a lawn mower at WOT.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:35 AM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

yea, i dont want to spend a ton of money and i am probably going to just keep it the way it is and maybe later ill straight pipe the muffs. the more i think about it, it isnt worth the money to get another catalytic converter (high flow or not) or mid pipe if i am going to need some fabrication anyway. i can get my friend to weld in some 2.5" aluminized steel where my muffs are now, but i cant justify spending the $ for just a better sound...

and i was throwing out the easy option first- delete cat back and turn down tips after the cats so it is legal but louder.

but then i got to thinking, keep my cat back and delete muffs. it will cost me the price of the piping (30" of aluminized steel- roughly 30 bucks) and i keep my rear exit which i like appearance-wise more than turned down halfway under the car.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Dont rush any decisions though. Ive found that out the hard way with previouse vehicles []. Put some good thought into it and youll find somthing that youll be happy with. Good luck with everything, sorry I didnt help out a whole lot .
Old 06-16-2005, 03:02 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

u wanna run straight pipes on a 6? oh boy that will sure sound good [:'(]
Old 06-16-2005, 04:47 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

like i told you on another site its gonna sound like poop. no mufflers on a V6 dont mix to well. no matter how much money you spend youll never get a v6 to sound aggresvive like an V8. its gonna sound like a chain saw. think long and hard before you make your decision. good luck.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:20 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

MY TWO CENTS, GET A REAL MUSTANG V8 ENGINE IF YOU WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A MUSTANG........VSIXES ARE CRAPPY NO MATTER WHAT
Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

ignorant sonamabish

there are plenty of v6 stangs that rape the shat out of yours...

Quick Reply: v6 exhaust Q