Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Meth vs. Aftercooler / Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM
badloser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007SHELBYGT
BRO ITS A BAND-AID!!!! its used to stop detonation ..if you tune right you dont need it ...besides do you want to count on somthing that when the pump fails or you run out either your fun is over or your engine is DONE!!!
BRO what do you mean if you tune it right ? Are you saying that you can run just as mutch timing with the meth as you can with out it? Which set up will make more torque? Cut the BS cooling is about lowering AIT's so if you call meth a band aid so is a air to air cooler of a water to air cooler they all do the same thing.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea id just go w/ the intercooler. And i think there are sites that offer some not to expensive IC.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 PM
mustangman281
Banned

BRO ITS A BAND-AID!!!! its used to stop detonation ..if you tune right you dont need it ...besides do you want to count on somthing that when the pump fails or you run out either your fun is over or your engine is DONE!!!
Seriously if you know nothing about the subject of the thread then you shouldn't make any comments.

Meth is not used to stop detonation it is used to prevent detonation just like an intercooler or race gas.

There is no way you are going to destroy the engine if you run out of meth or the pump quites if it is tuned correctly. When tuning for meth one of the things you do is tell the computer to pull timing and add fuel if the IAT ever sees a higher temp then what it's supposed to.

I was on the dyno yesterday. It was 95* in the shop and my IAT was 84* with meth on. If my IAT ever hits 100* the computer pulls timing.

Last edited by mustangman281; 06-16-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
Seriously if you know nothing about the subject of the thread then you shouldn't make any comments.

Meth is not used to stop detonation it is used to prevent detonation just like an intercooler or race gas.

There is no way you are going to destroy the engine if you run out of meth or the pump quites if it is tuned correctly. When tuning for meth one of the things you do is tell the computer to pull timing and add fuel if the IAT ever sees a higher temp then what it's supposed to.

I was on the dyno yesterday. It was 95* in the shop and my IAT was 84* with meth on. If my IAT ever hits 100* the computer pulls timing.

absolutely correct
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Personally I'd only go with meth after I had an intercooler on the car.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Fobra
Banned

I dont think meth is the best option for stock motors with boost. It should definitely only be used after the addition of an intercooler, not as a primary cooler... that is ghetto. That said meth works well, but I still have my own concerns about longevity from heavy use.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by mustangman281

This is what a shop tuner had to say about it:
Lets assume IAT is 100 degrees now with meth it drops to say 70 degrees.

IAT sensor after injection

We tune by removing fuel for the Meth in the tune AND the fuel the computer adds for the lower temperature. If the meth fails you are at 100 degrees and have the needed fuel MINUS the fuel we added for meth -- result LEAN BOOM!

IAT sensor before injection

We tune by removing fuel for the Meth in the tune for the sensed temperature of 100 degrees. If the meth fails you are at 100 degrees and have the needed fuel MINUS the fuel we added for meth -- result LEAN BOOM!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
This is what a shop tuner had to say about it:
Lets assume IAT is 100 degrees now with meth it drops to say 70 degrees.

IAT sensor after injection

We tune by removing fuel for the Meth in the tune AND the fuel the computer adds for the lower temperature. If the meth fails you are at 100 degrees and have the needed fuel MINUS the fuel we added for meth -- result LEAN BOOM!

IAT sensor before injection

We tune by removing fuel for the Meth in the tune for the sensed temperature of 100 degrees. If the meth fails you are at 100 degrees and have the needed fuel MINUS the fuel we added for meth -- result LEAN BOOM!
i wouldnt ever go back to that tuner again. he doesnt know sh*t. if the iat sensor is after the injector and you tune for the meth WITH THE IAT, if the meth fails, the iat will know and compensate by adding fuel and pulling timing. if your tuner doesnt do it this way, stay the hell out of his shop!

in other words, if the meth sprays, the iat see that (because temps are lower), and the computer pulls fuel and adds timing because it can when the meth is spraying. if the meth fails, the iat will see that (because temps are higher) and the computer will dump more fuel and subtract timing because the meth is not present. that is the correct way to tune for meth injection
Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

AS for clevland kid i would go intercooled for safety and still have it set up conservative 390-410 rwhp and let it live untill you can afford to play ..i never expected my car to make the power it does with the V3 and i cant turn down the boost anymore or i would my car makes 491 @10.5 psi ..with 3.60 pulley if it had no Ic it would make 430ish ..and would be grenaded already !!! good luck ...check out thread straped on vortech v3
My rig put up 397 non-cooled kit with the bspeed tune. you see the other mods I have. How did you get yours up to 430?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

First off and tuner should know what was stated above. 2nd - Snow performance sells a low level indicator to let you know when your running out of fluid. And another device to reduce timing if something in the system fails.

As for the band-aid comment - what an idiot.....

Quick Reply: Meth vs. Aftercooler / Intercooler