Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

How much more power with Intercooler??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Psustu
1st Gear Member

Default How much more power with Intercooler??

I made 357 Hp and 356 ft of torque.
How much more power can I expect if I add an Intercooler, and BBk tuned length headers?

My Mods are as follows.
1999 Mustang Gt Vert

Vortech V3
42 Lb Inj
C&L Intake Plenum
BBK 75 MM Tb
KB Boost a Pump
SCT 90 mm Mass Air
Focus Pump 255Lph
3.73 Rear
Mac Prochamber H- Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder
Anderson Power Pipe
Sct Tuned By Matt Hill Motorsports

Thank you..
Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

You should see about 5-10 more RWHP. However, it will keep the engine running a lot cooler and more efficiently.

Inter-coolers don't add HP per se, they just allow the engine to run more efficiently, therefore increasing HP.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:12 PM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Exactly! Intercoolers themselves don't add any power. You will lose some boost by putting in an intercooler, therefore probably lose some power. However, you could pulley down to get the boost back up. Also, the intercooler will make your tune not subtract timing (ie - power). The timing can be reduced signifcantly in the air intake temperature gets high. Keeping it close to outside air temp with an intercooler will allow you to run and maintain max timing......therefore max power at all times...not just when it's cold outside.

It is a little more complicated than that, but hopefully you get the basic idea!

I was running methanol before I bought an intercooler, and I will never go back to methanol. An intercooler is an engine saving investment.

Later,
Derrick
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

i had an s trim with 3.6 pulley and it made 354whp. then i put on a paxton intercooler, swapped to a 3.25 pulley and it made 400whp
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Whether or not you'll lose power will depend on how efficient your compressor is & how efficient the intercooler is. In a case where your outlet temps are fairly low if you put a somewhat restrictive intercooler on causing a pressure drop you could lose power.

In short, no one here can tell you how much power you'll pick up. None of them know enough information about your setup.

Last edited by FoxGT; 10-19-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

screw the intercooler just put a smaller pulley on will be much cheaper
Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Psustu
1st Gear Member

Default I figured with the Intercooler, I could add Spark

add Timing, and go with a Smaller Pulley. I really want about 410 HP and 400 Ft of torque. I am hoping that with those mods, and adding Headers will get me there at about 11-12 PSI of boost... What do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Psustu
add Timing, and go with a Smaller Pulley. I really want about 410 HP and 400 Ft of torque. I am hoping that with those mods, and adding Headers will get me there at about 11-12 PSI of boost... What do you guys think?
I think that unless you have a forged rotating assembly thats a god-awful idea and thats an exploding connecting rod waiting to happen. It's totally useless......whatever timing you add will be yanked right back down by the computer after 2 pulls because your IAT's will be smoking hot. You do this and you're asking for trouble. Get an intercooler.

Last edited by Hangwire; 10-30-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:06 PM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I think that unless you have a forged rotating assembly thats a god-awful idea and thats an exploding connecting rod waiting to happen. It's totally useless......whatever timing you add will be yanked right back down by the computer after 2 pulls because your IAT's will be smoking hot. You do this and you're asking for trouble. Get an intercooler.
Very sound advice! Adding boost will add heat, then guess what.....your computer will subtract timing to "TRY" and keep you from blowing the motor. So that means you will make LESS power after the blower gets warm. Spend the money, get an intercooler, get a smaller pulley, dynotune it, be done with it.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

personally I'd check my iat's before doing anything. If they're low I'd say change the pulley. Can't say whether I'd add timing or not since I'm unaware of your tune. Some have gotten up in the 400's with a non intercooled v3.

Quick Reply: How much more power with Intercooler??