Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Questions on installing an X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions on installing an X pipe

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-or-xpipe.html

I am entertaining just installing that X pipe on my 04, but am concerned about the rusted bolts and no air tools .. I've done the exhausts on my former cars, but with air tools, so it was a breeze ...

1. When you take out the old pipe section with the cats, I am assuming it unbolts from the factory headers? What about the 02 sensors? Does the new X pipe have where to screw them in, or are they eliminiated?

2. I am going to bolt it to the factory rear exhaust... will that be a problem? I can't afford the both the X pipe and rear exhaust section now..

I want it to sound deeper, but not like crap. I've heard some Mustangs sounding like crap and I don't know if they've just put crappy mufflers or just took the cats off.

rks
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

well it looks like they come with the 02 sensor holes, i just changed my h pipe with an o/r hpipe and i had to extend one of the 02 sensors, its easy to do if you have to with them.As far as the no air tools its really a crap shoot,i had to replace one of the bolts because it striped on me,and i had an exhaust leak from the drivers side header for a while and finally just got it to stop.I had to use a swivel socket to get the right angle. The only other thing i can think of is using a jack to hold the x pipe up when u bolt it on and then bolt the exhaust on to that.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I recently installed a MAC o/r H pipe on my 03 GT. Bolted right from the stock headers...just used some WD40 to loosen the rusted bolts. Also, I assume that when you install the X pipe, your car will be on a lift? Make sure that while you are taking the stock midpipe out and replacing it, that you stabilize the catback portion of the exhaust so that it does not move while changing pipes. While I cannot speak for all o/r H or X pipes...the MAC o/r H was Very easy to install. It has nearly exact locations for all 4 o2 sensors. Very happy with the product.

MAC o/r H pipe with Bassani Catback....sounds like old school muscle! FTW!!! haha
Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Using a lift? Using air tools? LOL, not this time, that's why I am taking a ****, lol...

I've done full exhausts on prior cars (93 Mustang LX, Lightning, and grand national) and each had it's own ordeal, but I had the air tools, which you take for granted when you don't have them...

Lift? I'll use some bricks and a bunch of Yellow Pages stacked up... not! LOL... I'll put it up on four stands....

I was reading the archives of some guy busting the bolt on the header end and that has to suck... you might have to end up taking the freakin header out .. .ugggg..

I guess I've gotten a tad lazy in recent years, since I know longer have a house with garage ...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yeah I busted one of the bolts while removing my x pipe after it had only been on for a few days (long story, had to switch back to the h for a minute). After having to remove the passenger side manifold to weld a nut to the top of it to hold the new bolt, all future work in this area incorporated lots of anti-seize.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

PB Blaster is your friend! Really, stuff works great on rusted nuts/bolts. I did a full exhaust (headers-back) on my 93GT, no air tools, up on jack stands. Wasn't bad, just take your time and soak the rusted hardware with PB Blaster the night before.