Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Default Intercooler

I am almost ready to intercool my V2. Does anyone know the best setup? I have zero knowledge on the differences and could not find much searching. The one my tuner mentioned (didn't really suggest anything) was the one from vortech, which I think is an aftercooler (could be wrong). Can anyone provide some info on advantages/disadvantages of different types or brands. Also if there are any other blower mods I should get while I'm at it.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

the one i have is an air to air from cx racing, its an ebay one, but i have no problems with it,the highest my intake temps are is 86 degrees.I think the air to air is better and you dont need to add ice to it.The hardest thing putting it on was cutting the front bumper support a little so it doesnt hang down to far.As far as anything else you will need,what do you have now with it.I had to get a aic relocator,i got a smaller pulley and the powerpipe which inturn had to get a bigger blow off valve, i aslo bought a 90mm lightning maf and it was to small so i went with the sct90mm big air maf.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

I don't really have anything as far as upgrades at this point. It is draw through, BOV is only for blow through correct? I could use a power pipe or smaller pulley, not sure what aic relocator is. Was the intercooler easy to install other than cutting the bumper support?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lilcrate
I don't really have anything as far as upgrades at this point. It is draw through, BOV is only for blow through correct? I could use a power pipe or smaller pulley, not sure what aic relocator is. Was the intercooler easy to install other than cutting the bumper support?
installing an IC is easy but it is a custom job so dont think its going to bolt right up. be prepared to drill some holes, buy some nuts and bolts and possible make some mounting tabs. its no big deal tho.

take it from some one who has done this before, take your time, use silicone couplers with the threads inside for reinforcement and use t-bolt clamps to hold the pipes together, not those crappy worm clams
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

the aic was a typo, i meant ait= air intake temp,If you are going to get a different mass air meter(which i would recommend if your going for 380 or more to the wheels) your going to need to relocate your temp sensor since yours is part of the mass air sensor. Its easy and all you need to do is drill a hole in the pipe close to the intake and would be splicing into the 2 outer wires of the mass air sensor harness.You can still use a bov which is usually what comes in the kits, i have 2 of them if you need one(up to 8psi).But you should have one if you allready have a v2 on your car and running.As far as installing like lucky13 said its a custom job,i had to cut front bumper and then had to make a nice size hole by where the original air filter is to run the pipe up to the intake, i used the bracket that came with the intercooler to hold up the antifreeze resivoir because my piping went between the fan and that rod sticking up.All in all it was easy and i was able to get my fog lights back on later, i had to cut the bottom part of the bracket off but it worked with no problems,i cant think of much more at the moment but do you have a boost gauge. And how much power do you plan on putting down,that will tell if you need anything else.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
the aic was a typo, i meant ait= air intake temp,If you are going to get a different mass air meter(which i would recommend if your going for 380 or more to the wheels) your going to need to relocate your temp sensor since yours is part of the mass air sensor. Its easy and all you need to do is drill a hole in the pipe close to the intake and would be splicing into the 2 outer wires of the mass air sensor harness.You can still use a bov which is usually what comes in the kits, i have 2 of them if you need one(up to 8psi).But you should have one if you allready have a v2 on your car and running.As far as installing like lucky13 said its a custom job,i had to cut front bumper and then had to make a nice size hole by where the original air filter is to run the pipe up to the intake, i used the bracket that came with the intercooler to hold up the antifreeze resivoir because my piping went between the fan and that rod sticking up.All in all it was easy and i was able to get my fog lights back on later, i had to cut the bottom part of the bracket off but it worked with no problems,i cant think of much more at the moment but do you have a boost gauge. And how much power do you plan on putting down,that will tell if you need anything else.
Ok, I have a 90mm lightning MAF, I guess it has a BOV, it was installed by a shop. I have 342wp and am wanting to get near 400. No boost gauge.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Ok, I have a 90mm lightning MAF, I guess it has a BOV, it was installed by a shop. I have 342wp and am wanting to get near 400. No boost gauge.
its hard to say how much the IC will help because each setup is different but i would plan on adding a couple psi of boost when you do the IC and have it retuned if you want to hit 400rwhp
Old 12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
its hard to say how much the IC will help because each setup is different but i would plan on adding a couple psi of boost when you do the IC and have it retuned if you want to hit 400rwhp
cool, that's what I was planning, smaller pulley, ic, tune...does the ic lean it out so bad that I couldn't carefully drive it to a shop after install for tune, or tune immediately?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You can drive it safely if you're careful about it. If you aren't going to be putting a big load on it when accelerating you can drive it to a shop to tune it even if it has a horrible tune. You don't have to worry about it running too lean while cruising. Running too lean at a light cruise will only cause it to surge from being too lean. As long as it's not knocking & you don't see a trail of black smoke behind you, you're ok.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

cool, that's what I was planning, smaller pulley, ic, tune...does the ic lean it out so bad that I couldn't carefully drive it to a shop after install for tune, or tune immediately?
as long as you stay out of boost youll be just fine driving it all day long