Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

I am going with a 150 shot ! i have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default I am going with a 150 shot ! i have questions

I have a 66 with a new 289 that was balanced and has hyper pistons.
I am installing a 150 shot and would like to know if i can tune it myself or if i need to have it dynoed and set up perfectly.
Please give me your input.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:20 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

you can tune it yourself. pull some base timing with the distributor and if its a wet kit, the kit will add the extra fuel
Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i am running a 61003 voodoo cam. i have the base timing at 18* it wont idle with anything less. i may be able to get it to 16*or 17* but i doubt it. Im not sure if his a accurate reading though. i put on a professional products balancer and i dont know if the marks are correct.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

You have a vaccum advance? just pull the hose off and set at 32-34 degrees and let her rip!
prolly be better at 32!
The wet kit will be as stated above will be the fuel adder, run atleast 93 oct with the 150, if you go any higher get some real fuel!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I have a mechanical advance!

I think the gas stations around here only have 92. That is what i usually run anyways. I can get 104 but it is really spendy!

I have a wet kit with spray bar and a dedicated fuel solenoid as well.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

You should be ok on 92 since the pump ratings are plus or minus a certain percent anyway!

If you think that short stroke turns up fast now just wait!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you need to get the timing under control. you HAVE to know where your at, too much you'll go lean and melt a piston in a minute at the least

if it doesn't idle correctly now... adding nitrous won't make your day any better

and all carb kits are wet... no such thing as a dry kit for carb'd cars
Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

BOB THE CAR IDLES GREAT RIGHT NOW AT 18* I HAVE IT SET AT 750 RPS. THE CAR RUNS GREAT AND HAS A LOT OF POWER.

i HOWEVER, DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF TIMING, HOW IT WORKS, OR WHERE ME ENGINE SHOULD BE RUNNING.

I HAVE A MECH. MSD DIZZY ALONG WITH A DIGITAL STREETFIRE BOX. I USED THE WEIGHTS AND SPRINGS BASED ON A RECOMMENDED SETTING FROM MSD. THAT ABOUT THE EXTENT OF MY TIMING KNOWLEGE.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

WEll timing has 2 different relms mechanical and electrical, the mechanical is for the cam and crank, electrical is when the spark will occur, electrical timing is on a 360* cycle for the most part because it is determined by the camshaft, most of the time ignition is somewhere in the ballpark of 30 to 44* btdc depending on carb or EFI nitrous etc. combustion occures on the compression stroke the more timing the less time the fuel and air have time to compress, advance of timing in older cars is done with springs and either mech flyweights and vaccum allowing points etc to fully advance timing or stay at base.
I havent had to deal with those in a while exept on airplanes but they use magnetos not normal dist. i just got a 68 coupe so i`ll be more user friendly with it in a few weeks!

I havent been up long the sparks arent arcing just right yet so i hope i havent confused you on this topic, i`ll come back later after some coffee and food lol! I`ll see if i have some illustrations on this for you may help to see it too!

I maybe mistaken but i thought going lean was a fuel issue and timing would be more early or late igniton? (incomplete combustion)

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 02-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well if it runs good... whatever timing your at use that as the baseline. then knock out about 2-4* for starters, make your runs and advance timing about 1* per run and watch for your mph to slow down (don't worry about ET watch mph)

make notes on the weather, temp and thickness of the air so you know where you need to be based on weather conditions

if your runs were all on a nice 70* day and you needed to time it -2* from where you are now, if it gets hot out.... you'll need to to knock out another 2* or more

assuming you run the same octane all the time.

if you go from 92 octane to 87 octane then decide to spray it... you'll need to cut down about 4* of timing on a cool day and more if it's hot

after a while you'll know exactly where you need to be

** maybe i'm not explaining correctly but when you advance your timing you create more power through the change in firing point of the plug, more timing will burn more completely making that power... too much and it needs more fuel, which seems lean to me, but again maybe i am not explaining it correctly

you can be phat all day with nitrous and all you'll do is slow it down

if you go lean... you'll pop

Quick Reply: I am going with a 150 shot ! i have questions