Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Vortech rebuild cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Default Vortech rebuild cost

I may be aquiring a kit from a buddy. The head unit may need a rebuild, what is the going price to have just the head unit rebuilt? It's the v2 sq si trim. Thanks alot guys, justin.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i would call vortech and ask them. iirc, you can buy a kit and do it yourself if you dont want vortech to do it
Old 06-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I'm buying a used V1 and was told by a Vortech Rep, that it could cost anywhere from 300-500 bucks. The one that I'm buying is satin though (really wanted the chrome). Is it possible to chrome a satin finished S/C?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

As far I I know there is no rebuild kit from Vortech. I'm sure if you open the housing they would void any warranty that existed. You can however do what I did and source compatible bearings and seals yourself. If you have access to a press and a little bit 'o ***** it can be done. There is no chrome Vortech. There is satin and polished. If you wanted to you could go to town grinding and sanding down the rough satin finish and then polish it up with compound and a buffing wheel. Unless you know what you are doing, I'd pay to have it done or just learn to like satin.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Is it possible to chrome a satin finished S/C?
i dont see why not. i have however seen people polish satin intakes as well as turbo compressor housings to make them look chrome
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
i dont see why not. i have however seen people polish satin intakes as well as turbo compressor housings to make them look chrome
Hey thanks for the info bro. I really wanted to go with the polished look because I plan on doing a couple car shows next year but I couldn't pass up this head unit (600 bucks). Also OP if you were to go on superchargersonline.com they have a department that deals in rebuilding Superchargers.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. If your wanting the polished look, just sand the finish smooth maybe start at say 300 grit working your way up to somewhere around 1000 and go to town with a buffing wheel.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Heres a really good right up on how to polish underhood items.

http://www.leemotorsports.com/almoststock/
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

You can send your head unit to Vortech for rebuilding, it will be closer to 700 including shipping, which you pay. There is also superchargerrebuild.com, which will also sell you the parts.
You can buy a rebuild kit on ebay for 280, which includes all 4 bearings and 2 seals.

To do it yourself you will need a shop press and an impact gun (cordless preferred) It is not that hard (you are only replacing 4 bearings and 2 seals) but it is not for the novice.

I purchased the bearings from VXB and rebuilt my v2 myself. You will have to buy the special input shaft seal from superchargerrebuild.com if you have a V2 and want to use the factory type seal.

Compared to the cost of a new head unit, the 700 to rebuild it is worthwhile. I am just couldn't afford that, plus you could get the old "your impeller needs replacing" sales trick. Not htat I'm jaded or anything.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I'm buying a used V1 and was told by a Vortech Rep, that it could cost anywhere from 300-500 bucks. The one that I'm buying is satin though (really wanted the chrome). Is it possible to chrome a satin finished S/C?
Chrome is polished Satin, so yes you can. You can polish just about anything from satin in to chrome.

Quick Reply: Vortech rebuild cost