Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

A Dumb Question about Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
smdeloof0831

Default A Dumb Question about Nitrous

I just bought an 03 mach 1. It is piped for nitrous, and I found the switch and the purge.... I tried to get a hold of the guy I bought it from, but can't. My question is......... how in the world does it work??? Like I said it has a switch under the steering column, the purge switch is right next to it. I feel like a real dope asking, but I am courious on how it works. I doubt I will ever shoot it, but just courious.... Thanx...
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

The switch is a arm switch, you turn it on and depending on how things are installed if it has a window switch or not, it sprays nitrous or nitrous and fuel into the intake somewhere. The real question is did you find a bottle? The bottle needs to be full, and open, check the pressure in the bottle. Needs to be 900~1000psi. You should get a heater for the bottle to maintain good bottle pressure. After it's open the purge is used to make sure the nitrous line is only liquid nitrous. If it's full of air or vapor nitrous it doesn't work as well. Then just step on the gas, probably sprays at wot automatically.

Now what I would tell you is find out exactly what it is before using it. Research nitrous, how it works. Find the nozzle that is plummed into the intake and follow the lines, find the solinoids and research them. Follow the wires, the will meet up with those dash switches somewhere. And any safety devices in line with it, such as a window switch. Also pull the nitrous lines off the intake nozzle and there should be little jets inside the ends. Stamped with little numbers, after you research the nitrous kits brand, find install instructions for the kit, those numbers will match up to a shot size. It's important to put the nozzles back in the same line you found them. So only check one at a time.

After you learn all that, take it to the track and have a blast!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
smdeloof0831

Hey Corpo.. Thanks. There is no bottle in the car. The brackets and the lines run to the trunk. I did find the line that runs into the intake. What is a window switch, that you were talking about??? Again thanks, that was actually a lot of help.....
Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

A window switch basically ties into your cars electronics and reads rpm's then the power going through you arm switch also will run through the window switch. The thing is then set for a rpm range that is user definable. Typically over 3000 rpm and under your shift point rpm. So if you have the wot signal going to the solinoids saying spray it now factors in a safe to spray rpm range. It prevents low rpm issues and hitting your rev limiter with the juice on (bad).

The way the window switch reads rpm, or how any accessory reads rpm is by pulse counting. A wire hooks up to one of your coils for instance and sees the pulse of the spark firing. Every spark fire in a 4 stroke engine is 2 rotations. (I believe)

so you found the braket and where the lines run, good start. Just need a bottle and a heater. If you can, get a heater that is self controlled based off tank pressure not temperature.

Also, is there one or two lines running to your instake? 1 line means it's just nitrous, called a dry kit. Dry meaning it doesn't spray fuel at the same time through your intake, instead it sprays just nitrous over your maf, and fools your ecu into thinking the air is colder and denser then it really is, so your engine adds more fuel through the stock fuel system. It can over burden your fuel injectors if it's not setup right. Now 2 lines means it's a wet kit, wet meaning it's designed to spray the correct amount of fuel for the nitrous automatically, the fuel bypasses the injectors only putting extra burden on your fuel pump. It would be spraying after the maf sensor. Both systems have there own pros and cons.

And for the record I'm no nitrous guru, everything I learnt is from the net. There is a ton of good material out there to read, americanmuscle.com has a good basic nitrous tech page, and so does this forum, check the sticky's

oh yeah, your really should follow the wires and make sure your push button is a purge button. i'm just thinking the system could be really old and that may be a go button. basically the am switch is a srm switch but before the days of WOT activated nitrous they might have been push button to spray. (so you can control when the nitrous is sprayed manually) if the guy who installed it didn't have the means to install a button elsewhere he may have put it right there next to the arm switch.

and i got a msd nitrous window switch (never used) and a zex bottle opener (also never used but has signs of being kept in a box) for $150 each shipped ($300 for both) if you want em ;D

Last edited by Corpo; 06-29-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Since you already have some of the basic hardware, i'd finish it up, have it tuned, and spray that thing.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Since you already have some of the basic hardware, i'd finish it up, have it tuned, and spray that thing.
+1

like I said, got some parts for sale