Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

cam with forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

Default cam with forced induction?

what would be the best cam to use with forced induction? i was looking at either the E303 or the B303, i know i should n't get one where the vavles are open long since it's forcing air in and it could hinder performance.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cam with forced induction?

E303 is a great s/c cam not familiar with the b303.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

f-cam is good for blowers as well
Old 08-17-2005, 01:03 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: David_K

E303 is a great s/c cam not familiar with the b303.

Wow... you need to read more!

Blower cams are a tricky business. Most people use the Ford Motorsport E303 cam (emissions-legal in 50-states) because of its proven ability to make decent power in a wide variety of applications. But, because the E-cam is a single-pattern cam (intake and exhaust duration are the same) on a narrow 110-degree lobe separation, it isn’t optimum for a supercharged combination—though it does work fine on nitrous. With a boosted intake charge helping get the air/fuel mixture in, a blower cam doesn’t need an aggressive intake lobe. Although, it should have a bigger exhaust profile to help get the exhaust out of the engine—hence, the dual-pattern cam.

Lobe separation is another area that is important for a supercharged camshaft. Wide lobe separation (114 degrees or more) spreads the intake and exhaust lobes farther apart, reducing overlap and preventing boost from blowing out the exhaust. Crower, Comp, Lunati, and other cam companies offer custom grinds that will satisfy all your basic blower cam requirements. Generally, on a street- oriented 5.0 blower cam, aim for an intake duration of 210 to 220 degrees at .050-inch lift, an extra 5 to 10 degrees exhaust duration (over the intake duration), and a 114-degree lobe separation.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:35 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i can cut and paste too!

i still stand by it. i have two friends that have blowers and E303 cams and they

make more power than the stock cam
keep everything emissions legal (which does matter to alot of people)
retains stock driveability
gives off a little cool sound

i didnt say it was the best blower cam.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Wow... its a good thing I can read that.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:30 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91stang

what would be the best cam to use with forced induction? i was looking at either the E303 or the B303, i know i should n't get one where the vavles are open long since it's forcing air in and it could hinder performance.
Stay away from alphabet cams. There are plenty of other cams that can be had for the same ammout of money and still give you more power for your given application. Dual patterns are the best for just about any situation. I would call Comp Cams, tell them what you have and what you want to do and they will set you up with a cam perfect for your setup. The reason why a cam with low lobe seperation is so bad, isnt becuase the valves are open so long, its because the exhaust and intake valves are opened at the same time. This means that you will literally be blowing boost out the tail pipes. Valve overlap is somthing you want to avioid in a boosted situation. It may sound neat to have that thumpy idle, but it will totaly kill any power you want to make with the boosted application.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Screw the B and E and X cams, if you want a blower cam get a Anderson blower cam or have a custom one ground for your application.Those cams are for the birds....Everyone names them cause the can remember simple B and E letters but there are alot better cams out there for blowers.You think all the fast stangs out there have an E cam???Ya right,no way
Old 08-20-2005, 03:11 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

ORIGINAL: 91stang

Stay away from alphabet cams. There are plenty of other cams that can be had for the same ammout of money and still give you more power for your given application. Dual patterns are the best for just about any situation. I would call Comp Cams, tell them what you have and what you want to do and they will set you up with a cam perfect for your setup. The reason why a cam with low lobe seperation is so bad, isnt becuase the valves are open so long, its because the exhaust and intake valves are opened at the same time. This means that you will literally be blowing boost out the tail pipes. Valve overlap is somthing you want to avioid in a boosted situation. It may sound neat to have that thumpy idle, but it will totaly kill any power you want to make with the boosted application.
^^^Thankyou^^^

ORIGINAL 99saleen351r
Screw the B and E and X cams, if you want a blower cam get a Anderson blower cam or have a custom one ground for your application.Those cams are for the birds....Everyone names them cause the can remember simple B and E letters but there are alot better cams out there for blowers.You think all the fast stangs out there have an E cam???Ya right,no way
^^^and thank you^^^!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:11 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

all they did was confirm what the artical in 5.0 magazine said

Quick Reply: cam with forced induction?