Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Going to turbo 5.0

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
PattyWaggon

Default Going to turbo 5.0

I previously threw a turbo in a ford focus, ran great so i know some stuff about FI

i know own a 1992 lx 5.0 mustang with a gt40 head, cobra upper and lower intake, converted to mass air, the cam is aftermarket, id have to talk to the previous own to find out the exact type

im going to shoot for about 400-500whp so im guessing 8-10psi since its a stock motor

im wondering what ill need for the car to handle that boost

im gonna guess ill need
42lb injectors
255 fuel pump
fuel regulator

do i need a calibrated maf for the 42# injectors

another thing is turbo size

im not planning on going well over 500whp anytime soon

im looking on a good deal on a t70 turbo
specs listed for it are 0.70 A/R Compressor, 0.96 A/R Turbine

I have read a lot of people liking 67-76mm turbos
and the car is going to be run off a single turbo

Im going to be using a tial 38mm wastegate
2.5" intercooler piping and greddy 38mm bov

im looking to get a tial Q 50mm bov unless its overkill for the setup

so my main questions are what should be changed in terms of fuel and ignition for running about 8-10psi

also whats a good size turbo for about 400-500whp

Thanks and all posts are appreciated
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
PattyWaggon

ok well no replys so far ahah,
i did some researching on my own.

im looking to get a kirban fuel regulator, 255 lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors
would 30lb injectors work for my application, i may only boost 5-6psi and i heard you can crank up the fuel pressure and add another 6lb or so to the injector. seeming as if the injector was bigger

and a turbo with a .68ar turbine housing and .70ar compressor since im going low boost i dont want something real big/laggy

some pointer or tipes would be helpful

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt go with the 30`s, not much price difference between them and the 42`s. Also you can get a calibrated maf but they it seems to be two big of a step up from stock most of the time (stock is 19). This is especial true with startup/cold engine because the maf sensors not being used yet, i.e. too much fuel. I would definitely just get everything installed and go get a proper tune.

I'm not sure if your aware of this but the 5.0 blocks are more or less a gamble after 500rwhp, so the 450-500 mark your looking at is about the most I would personally want to run. But on the plus side is the internals of the motor is good for this mark as well your 92 motor is the last year for forged pistons in the 5.0.

Your 92 would have been Mass Air from the factory, the previous owner didnt convert it. 89 was the first year for mass air (88 in cali) iirc

For the turbo questions, I know next to nothing about them so I will leave that up to someone else.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 PM
PattyWaggon

Originally Posted by Milton
I wouldnt go with the 30`s, not much price difference between them and the 42`s. Also you can get a calibrated maf but they it seems to be two big of a step up from stock most of the time (stock is 19). This is especial true with startup/cold engine because the maf sensors not being used yet, i.e. too much fuel. I would definitely just get everything installed and go get a proper tune.

I'm not sure if your aware of this but the 5.0 blocks are more or less a gamble after 500rwhp, so the 450-500 mark your looking at is about the most I would personally want to run. But on the plus side is the internals of the motor is good for this mark as well your 92 motor is the last year for forged pistons in the 5.0.

Your 92 would have been Mass Air from the factory, the previous owner didnt convert it. 89 was the first year for mass air (88 in cali) iirc

For the turbo questions, I know next to nothing about them so I will leave that up to someone else.
ok, im trying to stay as much below the mark as i can.
i may go all motor but i can easily spend 1500$ to put a single turbo in and tune it since i have most of the parts from a previous vehicle
do you have to get a MAF for a certain injectors

i understand the calibrated part but you cant tell the maf through the car comp that is has larger injectors?

like get the car litterally tuned or chipped for the injectors

im used to OBDII cars so i still have lots to learn about OBDI