Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

supercharged or twin turbo'd

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Fohead

Default supercharged or twin turbo'd

hey everybody i am new to the forum and i am just wanting to get some oppinions. i currently own my first mustang and i am planning on doing a power adder. i have heard positive and negative feedback for both the supercharger and twin turbo's. so coming from a bunch of mustang enthusiast's, that know alot more about how things could turn out with both, oppinions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

kyle
Old 12-04-2010, 01:23 PM
EI-03-GT
2nd Gear Member

it all depends on what you want from your car.. like is going to be daily driven, a weekend driver, a track car?... also what are you looking for as far as power numbers from the car?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

theres nutswingers for both options. superchargers are much cheaper, simpler and easier to install. turbos are far more efficient and with a properly sized turbo theres almost zero lag. unlimited budget: turbo is the way id go

centri blower: very cheap, simple, yet reliable
twin screw: much more expensive than centri, awesome torque curve very fun to drive
turbo: by far the most expensive option, much more difficult to install than a blower, entire front end has to be torn apart and k member and all that stuff replaced with tubular parts. by far the most efficient - uses less boost to make the same power as a SC. zero hp lost when daily driving since theres no parasitic belt loss.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

what's the car going to be used for? how much power do you want? how much money are you looking to spend on the car? what engine is in the car (stock gt is only good to ~400hp)? don't forget about your suspension (all the power in the world is no good if you can't control where the car goes....) gives us some details about your car and your goals for the car
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Fohead

well as of now, it is a daily driver. but i am in the navy so i have alot of money saved up from delpoyment. i already have a little bit of suspension work done to it. eibach lowering springs, steeda front tower bar, and lower and upper control arms are on the way
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

First, thank you for what you do.

Second, what are your goals for the car? Drag? Strip? You gotta give these guys on here the details of what you want, then they can point you in the right direction. I personally LOVE the whine of a roots blower, so I would go that way. Mutilation pretty much sumed it up with his breakdown of the different setups and what they need to work.

EDIT: what part of KY you from? I just moved over from MA in Sept.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Fohead

well i probably will end up doing alot of drag racing. but i am just looking for something to put out about 450. something i can drive on the street but still do some damage on the track
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Fohead

i am from louisville, fern creek to be exact.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

I have a Kenne bell blower. 528 Whp its my dd... love it but am also debating tt setup. Just know its alot cheaper to stay at 400 Whp than 450+.

Going over 400 wheel horse power ur looking at built motor, fuel system, full suspension if you want to be able to drive it, tranny will prob give out and rearend will need upgraded. If you want to stay around 400whp. You can get a s/ c( and few other things that come in a kit like fuel pump, injectors) and ur done...

Thanks for serving!!! And enjoy ur stang..
Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

For a daily driver, you'll want the power lower in the RPM range... where you actually get to use it. Making tons of power up top does nothing for you on the street unless you like to red line it everytime you shift.

For that I'd suggest a roots/positive displacement blower or a small turbo set up so it spools quickly.

Quick Reply: supercharged or twin turbo'd