Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

best brand of headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Dr.JZ

In all seriousness...you are right. I never looked at it that way before.....indeed, I do appreciate the info and insight. Guess I just needed someone to help me realize how over-priced and under-powered my P51 really is....in hindsight, I definitely should have gone with something else, rather than simply paying for a name to look and feel cool....sad, I know....but, life goes on.....

OP, go with what JDWalton recommends; or, whatever suits your budget and gives the best bang for the buck....MAC headers should work out just fine on your 3v....as a whole, MAC exhaust quality is probably much improved since the last time I had experience with them...

Last edited by Dr.JZ; 08-17-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: personal
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Brighton07GTCS
1st Gear Member

i was just checking out AM's website on both the BBK and Kooks long-tubes and catted x-pipe combos. there's really only about a $200 difference between the 2.

just looking between these 2 sets (i've not compared, nor looked at any other website for different brands or combos) the BBK's are ceramic vs the steel Kooks. i've heard that ceramic is definitely better to go with because they'll last longer.

i'm not into buying something just to replace it in a short amount of time. so i guess at this point i just need some more advice on the lifetime of ceramic vs steel.

definitely going with a catted x-pipe as well just to get all of the exhaust work done together. i already have the SSS axle-back setup and only want to get under the car one more time to finish the exhaust out haha.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I goofed in a previous post and said american racing headers. I meant to say the Pypes are a good header, that clones the Kooks style.
http://www.brenspeed.com/hdr55s.html

I have non coated headers, and while I dont belive there going to fall apart any time soon, there is plenty of rust on it already. My mom went for the ceramic coating and hers still look like new. Both sets are about 2 years old. But that is one of the points where the Kooks shines. They are made with a good quality metal, so even without the coating, they will stay looking good longer then cheaper made non coated headers. But eventualy they will look more used.

The Kooks do out perform the BBK as well. When I got mine, they were considerably cheaper then they are now. The price gap has closed a lot between them.

If I were buying headers right now, I think I personaly would be looking at the pypes from Brenspeed with the catted H pipe.

FWIW, heres what the BBKs look like installed:

Last edited by JDWalton; 08-18-2011 at 11:25 PM.