Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbocharge or supercharge ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Bkonitzer

Default Turbocharge or supercharge ?

Okay I just got a 1990 302 boss 0.30 I have money to throw at it. So I was thinking of taking the turbo off a 5.9L cummins and using that. Or the kennybell 3.4 water cooled supercharger. I would like some help on best thing to use in the dry heat. What set up for cams heads crank & intake ? All forge is going in. I wanna try for 650rwhp or more!

Thank you bk
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 AM
MudDoc

you are going to slap an HX35 on a stang? Or rather you want to?

There are other decent turbo's to pick from in the diesel world, personally if I was going to shoot for a decent sized turbocharger from the diesel world I would look into a S366 series charger. EPR (extreme prejudice racing) has a newer platformed S36x series that spools like a 366 but has the air of a S472..... it is WICKED.

Are you going to go intercooled or chemical intercooler?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 AM
MudDoc

Also since you are in Las Vegas try looking up Underground Diesel, the owner Newly Tolf runs a lot of business through there and the guys there know their stuff on turbos, that guy had one sitting in his shop a few months ago that could have sucked a baby through the impeller it was insane.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Bkonitzer

Intercooled. Yeah I had that turbo laying around sounded like a good idea , but I'll look into the other ones. With a turbo app , I guess it don't really matter what cam or heads or intake I put on as long as it all flow nice a beautiful?

Thanks againg boss

Bk
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
MudDoc

If you got it laying around and it is in decent shape, no shaft play or anything I say go for it. I'm pretty sure cam choice will need to be updated with the addition of a turbo, along with getting your fuel curve and spark curve adjusted (thinking larger injectors) not real sure on the intake & heads part.... I know more restriction is going to show you high boost psi but in fact be less airflow and that is the main thing with turbo's, utilizing all the airflow you have available in that turbo's MAP or up until you start approaching it's wastegate/BOV setting.

I wouldn't be against a HX35 if it were free, but if you were going to have to pay for it I would say pick a better one. You are definitely going to want to wastegate it or install a BOV as the HX35 can move quite a bit of air, on Diesels lean conditions aren't a big deal it will just snuff out the motor if it gets too lean but on gassers that is when you hurt stuff so consult with someone who knows how to package together the fuel & the air
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
MudDoc

Also which HX35 is it

7 blade or 8 blade?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Bkonitzer

Yeah free is free , but I wanna look into S366 looking it up right now. You suggest stand alone or a 5.0 ecu and just tune that? I seen problems with tuning on both ends. I have a set of 80lb injectors off the cobra I was gonna run. But I must wait till I find my turbo set up.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Bkonitzer

8 blade off the 2005 dodge 2500 inline 6
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Bkonitzer

Yeah dope *** turbo about 3G and I could run that set up.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
MudDoc

I'm not real in depth with the custom tuning aspect on these ECM's..... if it were a common rail diesel I would say custom tune all the way. But someone else may have a better idea of what is best to get everything to mesh better..... with today's technology I would say find a reputable tuner and have it custom tuned... but that is just me

Quick Reply: Turbocharge or supercharge ?