Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

4.0 V6 ProCharger Project

Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I gave up trying to fit the last intercooler pipe/elbow to the ProCharger output. Tonight I'll give that another go and probably try to finish up the plumbing and fuel injector swap.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I went to visit my brother in Georgia yesterday which was about 5 hours total driving time. This morning I checked my cans and the passenger side was still bone dry. The drivers side had the usual yellow gunk. I decided to move the other catch can to the drivers side to give me more filtering. The single catch can isn't enough to keep that yellow gunk from getting into the blower. Here's a pic of my current setup. No very clean but it's functional.

Keeping this clean during the winter months is going to be a royal PITFA. :-(

Last edited by kzonts; 12-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

More filtering shouldn't hurt

I got my install pretty much finished. I went to test for fuel leaks and had one on the driver side. I went to tighten the bolt and it broke. I took it off and the o-ring was also broken. So I fixed that and screwed in one screw. There is no leak, but I still want/need to replace the screw. Does anyone know of the size or part number for the fuel rail screw on the driver side? Replacing the fuel rails wasn't as bad as I thought, I almost panicked when reading the X-Charger install manual it says to make sure the injector seats didn't get pulled out with the old injector...so I had to go back and dig my old ones from the trash to double check lol...

Does the UPR catch can have a drain on the bottom? The Moroso one I have does. I put a hose on it and tied it to the intercooler piping to exit underneath. If you can do that it would help get rid of the gunk buildup easier. I checked under my oil cap and I had gunk in there too. I just changed my oil about 3 months/2k miles ago and put in Royal Purple. I'm thinking of dumping some Seafoam in my crank case and putting in Mobil 1....or should I just wait for it to get sucked out of the catch can? Also, it is a PITA to change the oil on the ProCharger?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by kzonts
I went to visit my brother in Georgia yesterday which was about 5 hours total driving time. This morning I checked my cans and the passenger side was still bone dry. The drivers side had the usual yellow gunk. I decided to move the other catch can to the drivers side to give me more filtering. The single catch can isn't enough to keep that yellow gunk from getting into the blower. Here's a pic of my current setup. No very clean but it's functional.

Keeping this clean during the winter months is going to be a royal PITFA. :-(

I meant to check mine this weekend to see if I have been attacked by the yellow foamy gunk. I like the double stack Kevin.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
More filtering shouldn't hurt

I got my install pretty much finished. I went to test for fuel leaks and had one on the driver side. I went to tighten the bolt and it broke. I took it off and the o-ring was also broken. So I fixed that and screwed in one screw. There is no leak, but I still want/need to replace the screw. Does anyone know of the size or part number for the fuel rail screw on the driver side? Replacing the fuel rails wasn't as bad as I thought, I almost panicked when reading the X-Charger install manual it says to make sure the injector seats didn't get pulled out with the old injector...so I had to go back and dig my old ones from the trash to double check lol...

Does the UPR catch can have a drain on the bottom? The Moroso one I have does. I put a hose on it and tied it to the intercooler piping to exit underneath. If you can do that it would help get rid of the gunk buildup easier. I checked under my oil cap and I had gunk in there too. I just changed my oil about 3 months/2k miles ago and put in Royal Purple. I'm thinking of dumping some Seafoam in my crank case and putting in Mobil 1....or should I just wait for it to get sucked out of the catch can? Also, it is a PITA to change the oil on the ProCharger?
Bummer on the fuel rail screw. Maybe you can take one to NAPA or other auto parts store. They might be able to find one that works.

Yes, the UPR has a drain plug but you need to buy a drain **** for it. However the drain gets clogged so I have to unscrew the bottom to clean it anyway. Don't leave your drain open while driving as it will cause a vacuum leak.

It's pretty easy to drain the oil. You can reach underneath with a 5/8 socket - no need to crawl under the car. I slide my oil drain container underneath and have a long tube with a funnel to catch the oil.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
I meant to check mine this weekend to see if I have been attacked by the yellow foamy gunk. I like the double stack Kevin.
Yeah. You should keep an eye on it for sure. I don't know what else to do with the damn thing, so the dual catch can setup seemed to be a good option. Either way I have to take apart each one at least once a week to clean them. Talk about high maintenance. :-)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
Bummer on the fuel rail screw. Maybe you can take one to NAPA or other auto parts store. They might be able to find one that works.

Yes, the UPR has a drain plug but you need to buy a drain **** for it. However the drain gets clogged so I have to unscrew the bottom to clean it anyway. Don't leave your drain open while driving as it will cause a vacuum leak.

It's pretty easy to drain the oil. You can reach underneath with a 5/8 socket - no need to crawl under the car. I slide my oil drain container underneath and have a long tube with a funnel to catch the oil.

That's cool. I'm keeping the valve on the Moroso closed until I need to empty it. The tube will empty out next to my front passenger side tire. I'll just kick my oil pan under the car and open the valve.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gauges do you guys recommend? I was thinking of an Interceptor w/AFR kit and a AutoMeter Boost/VAC gauge. Is monitoring both (Boost and Vacuum) good, or would I be ok with just a boost gauge? I'm going to be running the ATI tune until I settle on a tuner, so I want to make sure everything is ok.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Just out of curiosity, what kind of gauges do you guys recommend? I was thinking of an Interceptor w/AFR kit and a AutoMeter Boost/VAC gauge. Is monitoring both (Boost and Vacuum) good, or would I be ok with just a boost gauge? I'm going to be running the ATI tune until I settle on a tuner, so I want to make sure everything is ok.
Get one that does both. I wanted a Ford Racing gauge but they were on back order, so I purchased a Roush guage. Works fine and measures boost/vacuum. I don't have an AFR guage.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

Just chimeing in here.

I see you are having oil issues with your catch can. This is normal in cold months.

I do however see that you are not running any media inside the catch can like steel wool. The oil gunk comes out as a mist and needs something to grab onto, the steel wool or metal that comes in most catch cans is needed so it can grab onto the oil mist.

Additionally I see that your catch can return line plugs in at the filter? If so then it is not really providing the catch can with sufficient vacuum. I would relocate it to the intake tube.

I have built many boosted vehicles, and while nothing is terribly wrong here and everything will work just fine, you can make these minor improvements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.0 V6 ProCharger Project