Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

92 5.0 turbo or supercharger

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
grahamgt

Default 92 5.0 turbo or supercharger

IF the motor is built what is better to have a turbo or supercharger. Which makes more power and has less limits and which one is more fun to drive. For whatever choice what are the best kits.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

What do you like better, Apples or Oranges? In theory. Turbos are more effecent because they use waste gas to spin the turbo apposed to the parasitic loss of the belt drive on a SC. Let the debate begin.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

Oh man this has been argued and debated over for years.

If you want fast off the line performance then you go with a root style type blower. They give you good torque.

If you want decent overall performance then centrifugal blower (Vortec, ProCharger). This is the balance between the two.

If you want good mid range and narley high end then go turbo. Tends to be the most efficient but can suffer from lower torque but generates more horsepower.

Now granted there are many different setups out there but this is a overall glance at what these things are mostly used for.

Real world street situations I would go with a procharger. But that is just me.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grahamgt
IF the motor is built what is better to have a turbo or supercharger. Which makes more power and has less limits and which one is more fun to drive. For whatever choice what are the best kits.
IMO, centrifugal blowers are more reliable. ATI ProCharger is my go to power adder.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Not this pissing match again. both are great but I like the turbo over any S/C any day. but thats me. Yes I have had both.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

i prefer the turbo route....maybe we should have a poll on this once and for all..lol
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
NickP87

I've had turbo, but not SC setups. I've researched SC setups & the things that kept me away from SC are:
-Belt slippage.
-You have to change the pulley to change the boost.

Pro:
-You don't have to get special exhaust manifolds/rework the exhaust for a SC.

Turbo Cons:
-You do have to get turbo manifolds or turn your manifolds around to hook up to the exhaust side of the turbo.

Turbo Pro:
-You can easily increase/decrease the boost with a boost controller.
-A lot more sizing options. With some research you can find the perfect turbo to match up with the displacement of your motor & your power goals.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 AM
89blackonblack
2nd Gear Member

there is no correct answer to this question.im pretty sure thats why u didnt get many responses. no right or wrong answer. i have a centrif. supercharger but im a big fan turbos depends what u plan on doing with the car. i like my setup because the car runs and drives perfectly normal, makes no boost, puts no strain on the motor 90 percent of the time driving around when your not into the throttle and just running off vaccum and not into boost. then you put youre foot into it and watch the boost gauge climb as you get planted into your seat. and good kits whether turbo or blower are both expensive