Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Exhaust in Emissions State?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust in Emissions State?

I'll soon be the owner of a new 3.7. That being said, my first modification is going to be exhaust, but I'm not exactly sure what I can do because I live in Colorado, a state that does emissions testing.

Now, I'm not exactly versed in exhaust, so bear with me.

However, my general understanding is, from the engine comes the exhaust header, followed by h-pipe, followed by cats, followed by various piping (including resonators) and finally mufflers.

I'd like to run the Borla Atak exhaust, either cat-backs or axle-backs. If I am correct at the placement of the resonators, will purchasing the cat-backs give me a resonator/silencer free exhaust system? And is this legal in my state?

What about long tubes, and o/r x-pipes? Can I even do these in my state?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Stang-Nator

Originally Posted by iamzatch
I'll soon be the owner of a new 3.7. That being said, my first modification is going to be exhaust, but I'm not exactly sure what I can do because I live in Colorado, a state that does emissions testing.

Now, I'm not exactly versed in exhaust, so bear with me.

However, my general understanding is, from the engine comes the exhaust header, followed by h-pipe, followed by cats, followed by various piping (including resonators) and finally mufflers.

I'd like to run the Borla Atak exhaust, either cat-backs or axle-backs. If I am correct at the placement of the resonators, will purchasing the cat-backs give me a resonator/silencer free exhaust system? And is this legal in my state?

What about long tubes, and o/r x-pipes? Can I even do these in my state?
Without cats (o/r pipes) your car wouldn't pass inspection. I'm pretty sure long tubes do not either. I wouldn't even bother with any o/r pipe, because v6 mustangs sound bad to me without the cats, I would just change the axle backs, with a dual x pipe kit.

Dual x pipe kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-v6-xpipe-0510.html

You can get any GT axleback with this, I would get anything that has a muffler. Straight through pipes wouldn't sound really good with a v6, do you want that loud ricer bumble bee sound? Or a decent rumble like a v8?

I would get this for a good rumble sound:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-2011v6.html

Or this just to be loud:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...mb-1113v6.html

If you do decide to take the cats off, the pype bombs would be very loud and very bad sounding without cats. I would keep the cats on.. Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

The '14 V6 comes with dual exhaust starting with the cats, x pipe, mid pipes and axle backs. If you keep your cats, the rest shouldn't matter as far as inspection goes. Getting just axle backs will give you a nice sound. Sounds vary widely with different ABs though from loud to very loud.